Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #91
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
8/16gb of non-expandable storage is a laugh. And no LTE? For someone so hung up on specs you are curiously silent on these limitations.
Ohh dear another person living in the past,the nexus 7 has had expandable storage via a $2 OTG cable and a $4 App= Nexus media Importer for 2+ months and im certain it will work for the Nexus 10 just as well for who ever buys it,but i wont.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

You probably don't realize this but LTE or 4G as we call it is a rag tap patch work of coverage across the globe and 3G will still be the standard Mobile network service for some time to come in many countries.

I have already seen prices in the UK ,Hong Kong & others with very poor coverage and they are upping the connection costs to off-lay the massive costs of building new antennas for the service.

I would happily stick with 3G and know i have coverage in every country i go to without hiccups and without having to pay extra for a mobile service that offers so little coverage in both my own country and overseas when i travel regularly.

And as i mentioned before the App store is very poor ,am i supposed to become a App developer to get the most out of the NOOK HD+ ???

P.S are saving your pennies for that retro tablet that was just released for $329 ? i hope that aluminum unisex body is worth it as it offers nothing new or interesting except to badge chasers.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #92
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
$299/$349 is half what you would pay for LTE phones and less than half the $649 entry price for the iphone5. For people who do not need LTE, or who don't have it where they live, why spend twice as much on an outdated iphone 5 when you could get the latest and greatest at half the price? Superb screen, kick-ass quad-core CPU, NFC, wireless charging, ... It has everything but LTE. And last time I checked the iphones didn't come with expandable storage.
Ah so those lacunae get a free pass. Good to know you're consistent in your hypocrisy. It sets the tone for dealing with you in the future.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #93
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Ohh dear another person living in the past,the nexus 7 has had expandable storage via a $2 OTG cable and a $4 App= Nexus media Importer for 2+ months and im certain it will work for the Nexus 10 just as well for who ever buys it,but i wont.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

You probably don't realize this but LTE or 4G as we call it is a rag tap patch work of coverage across the globe and 3G will still be the standard Mobile network service for some time to come in many countries.

I have already seen prices in the UK ,Hong Kong & others with very poor coverage and they are upping the connection costs to off-lay the massive costs of building new antennas for the service.

I would happily stick with 3G and know i have coverage in every country i go to without hiccups and without having to pay extra for a mobile service that offers so little coverage in both my own country and overseas when i travel regularly.

And as i mentioned before the App store is very poor ,am i supposed to become a App developer to get the most out of the NOOK HD+ ???

P.S are saving your pennies for that retro tablet that was just released for $329 ? i hope that aluminum unisex body is worth it as it offers nothing new or interesting except to badge chasers.
Sorry but USB OTG storage is a joke nobody wants to use something with a wire and flashdrive dangling around. Micro USB also just isn't sturdy enough you will end up with a useless tablet you can't even charge in no time.

When even cheap generic phones have micro SD it's a joke that expensive phones and tablets leave it out to try and sell their idiotic cloud storage, in my opinion this is the reason samsung is absolutely killing everyone else in sales.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #94
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
oops, wrong thread.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #95
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
oops, wrong thread.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #96
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
oops, wrong thread.
Understandable.
This one is starting the resemble the battlefied that is the iPad Mini thread.
I guess Google must be doing *something* right to get such passionate defenders....
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 AM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Ohh dear another person living in the past,the nexus 7 has had expandable storage via a $2 OTG cable and a $4 App...
Now that the Nexus 7 comes in a 32GB flavor for $249, I'll get one.

But, I'll never use the dangling dongle option. 32GB will suffice for my needs.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #98
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But, I'll never use the dangling dongle option.
Dangling dongle sounds vaguely obscene, coming from a monkey.
Just sayin'...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Dangling dongle sounds vaguely obscene, coming from a monkey.
Just sayin'...
Monkey knows that.
Just sayin'...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #100
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Someone mentioned earlier the Nook as an alternative to the Nexus. For my purposes, a tablet should be as close to the original Android sources as possible. In other words, I wouldn't want to buy a Kindle Fire (although I am a happy with my Paperwhite). It's really the Nexus that I want. Just which one I haven't decided yet...
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #101
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
USA store $399 Available for purchase on Tuesday, Nov. 13th
https://play.google.com/store/device...tm_content=n10

UK google store £319.00 Available for purchase on Tuesday, Nov. 13th
https://play.google.com/store/device...=nexus_10_16gb

Screen
10.055" diagonal at 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution for 300 ppi ,WQXGA,Corning Gorilla Glass 2
CPU/GPU ,CPU: Dual-core A15 ,GPU: Mali T604
Size 263.9 x 177.6 x 8.9 mm , Weight 603g
Cameras 5 MP (main) 1.9 MP (front)
Wireless WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (MIMO+HT40)
Bluetooth ,NFC (Android Beam)
Memory 16 GB internal storage (actual formatted capacity will be less)
2 GB RAM
Connectivity -Micro USB,bluetooth
Magnetic Pogo pin charger , Micro HDMI ,Battery,9000 mAh Lithium polymer
OS -Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)

Sensors -Microphone ,Accelerometer ,Compass, Ambient light
Gyroscope ,Barometer ,GPS

Just like the NEXUS 7 it easily out classes every other tablet in it's price range
In the Uk nothing comes even close to the specs and price that this tablet is offering.It makes the transformer prime look like a very expensive dinosaur and it easily shows up the Ipad 4 as a highly over priced device that it really is.

NEXUS 10 Wifi Vs Ipad 4 WIFI
Lighter ,thinner, GPS , higher res screen ,faster , no padded wall eco-system,higher res front facing camera ,MORE sensors , $100/£80 cheaper

I hope a small number of people on here are ready to eat some humble pie, maybe i should make some custard or wiped cream to go with it for you

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 08:04 AM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #102
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
The new 32GB Nexus 7 looks perfect for what I want - a quality device with enough storage for my 7 year old. I don't need the cell service for him (if it were for me, and were Verizon compatible, I would want it, since I can add the tablet to my shared data plan for $10/month), and, although I am a huge advocate for the inclusion of SD storage, I (he) can survive with the 32GB, along with my Seagate GoFlex Satellite drive and Airstash.

I also don't want to limit it to the Nook or Kindle app store, and don't want to bother with altering the stock OS (which I have done on my own Nook Color), as he will be traveling back and forth between my house and his mother's and I will not always be available to troubleshoot.

Is it perfect? No. But it's a lot better than most of the other options, and at a pretty darn good price.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
hrosvit, what makes you want to go with the Nexus 7 instead of the Nexus 10? Is it the price, or do you have other reasons to prefer the 7?

I am undecided which form factor would be more appropriate for my needs. Perhaps the 7 is easier to hold for a longer period of time and perfectly sufficient for anything you could also do with the 10. On the other hand, the 10 has that amazing display resolution, I cannot imagine how it would look in real life.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #104
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Lacking a microSD slot isn't quite as objectionable, though, on the now $200 N7... [16GB is the least amount I would accept without a slot - but it has to be cheap, which this is]
Same here. 16 gigs is the minimum I would accept without SD expansion. I would pay more if it had SD. If they had $199 for 16 and $249 with 16 and SD, i would get the one with SD, but 16 in the base still makes it a consideration.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #105
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenye View Post
hrosvit, what makes you want to go with the Nexus 7 instead of the Nexus 10? Is it the price, or do you have other reasons to prefer the 7?

I am undecided which form factor would be more appropriate for my needs. Perhaps the 7 is easier to hold for a longer period of time and perfectly sufficient for anything you could also do with the 10. On the other hand, the 10 has that amazing display resolution, I cannot imagine how it would look in real life.
I think the 7" will be easier for my 7 year old to handle than the 10" would be. Easier to stick in a backpack, less likely to drop, etc.

Plus, it's cheaper, when he drops it in the toilet or clogs the charging port with peanut butter.

I have an iPad 3 that is my main device, and if you offered to exchange it for a device with the exact same specs, but in a 7" form factor, I'd probably go for it. When using my Nook Color, I never feel that it's too small; when using my iPad, I sometimes wish it were smaller. That's why I was anxiously awaiting the iPad mini announcement, but it disappointed me on so many levels.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote