Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #3016
ajg18
ajg18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 3G
Macs?

I can't seem to get the cover feature to work on my Mac. I then tried to use the random feature and that wouldn't work either. Do I have to put the blank files in a certain place in the folder? Am I just a n00b? Please help me out here.

Edit: Definitely a n00b, can anyone help me with the other stuff.

Last edited by ajg18; 03-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
ajg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #3017
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
on my mac?

err.... you mean your kindle right?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #3018
ajg18

Yeah on my kindle, but I'm using my mac to jailbreak it and that probably doesn't have anything to do with it but just wondering.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #3019
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

does mac hide file extensions?

It been a while since I used one..
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #3020
ajg18

No, it shows them, at least on photos. I did take out the autoreboot file because I don't use Calibre or anything like that. I just saw this though there is an info.txt in the linkss folder and the .txt part is not on any of the files I put in there. Should I add them and try it again?
Advert
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #3021
twobob

hmm.. can you ssh into the kindle?
are you doing that? just wondered as this would be obviously the cleanest way to look at the files...

you could just touch them in place then...

I haven't used this modification in MONTHS myself tbh... but if you feel that any of the files YOU have created might be in error then certainly.

IIRC it's as simple as creating a blank EXTENSIONLESS file and that's it.
I don't actually have a linkss on any of the devices I have here right now.

If you dont get it sorted by tomorrow I'll grab one that has if you remind me.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #3022
ajg18

I just touched the file in. I had no idea that you had to do that. I didn't even know you could that until now actually. I just restarted it and it worked! Thank you so much!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #3023
twobob

no worries mate.

seems like it was then a hidden file extension probably if touch fixed it

Chalk one up for the geeks

Last edited by twobob; 03-04-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #3024
mitakka
mitakka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Old screen saver hack

I am with the old 0.26N screen saver hack, something went wrong and I want to remove it and try the new version. The problem is I cant find its uninstall file. I dont believe something can disappear from internet but I spend a lot of time searching and all the results lead here, but only the latest version uploaded.
mitakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #3025
twobob

his new installers - GENERALLY - manage the old version too...

I COULD be wrong but IIRC he was pretty good about that stuff.

Cant hurt to try.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #3026
mitakka

Uninstalling old version of screen saver hack with new version uninstaller worked fine. INFO file in linkss folder says :"if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need the uninstaller from that version" which is not very clear for me. It will be better "if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need the uninstaller from that version or newer one" or something like that to avoid questions like mine. However the problem remained. I downloaded some ready kindle wallpapers, but when going to sleep mode it takes more time to load the picture (not a problem)I guess that this is because the files are above 500 KB and they are too "heavy". The problem is that sometimes it takes too much time to load the image and kindle is restarting before displaying it, which is pretty annoying. Is that a known bug?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #3027
twobob

Probably "out of memory" or something.

Not generally no.

Crunch the files smaller?

or Worst case: use a file size reduction service and let them do it

http://www.jpegreducer.com/

hope that helps.

Last edited by twobob; 03-08-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: s/hlep/hope
Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #3028
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@mitakka-
I have a K2i with an even earlier screensaver hack version than you were dealing with... almost all of my screensavers are larger than 500 KB and they render instantly. I don't know what the issue is but in this case I don't think size matters (okay, I'm waiting to see who can't resist...).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #3029
twobob

I have a DX also with HUGE pictures on it. They work fine too... FWIW.

Are you saying that the device actually RESTARTS?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #3030
mitakka

It is displaying restart screen, then pictures start from the beginning. Pretty sure it is actual restart. I changed the pictures with the default kindle screensavers, the hack is loading them instantly and no restarts. Resolution is the same, file format is the same, the only difference is the size. And the long time to load the picture is telling me that my kindle has problems with big images. Anyone know how to overclock it )) However that is not big problem for me, I will just find a way to batch shrink them. Default kindle screensavers are pretty good under 100 KB, its a greycolor, it dont need much data. I guess the pictures I downloaded are converted with much more than 50 shades of grey (beat this @GoSharks) causing the size, which my kindle can not handle. In conclusion for some devices the size matters causing them "le petite morte" - uncontrolled electrical impulses all over the device making it non-responsive for a short time, but after that the device is like reborn, very responsive and ready to fullfil your desires instantly. I can go on and on but there is big chance to make moderators not approving my post.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet