Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
At least I'm not afraid of comments.

I've posted my (short) analysis of why he's all of the above at my blog. Feel free to post comments.

http://delphidb96.blogspot.com/

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I read the title, and I thought to myself.. "Why would anyone care about what a singer thought about ebooks".

It was then I realized that you weren't talking about Bruce Hornsby. DOH
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I read the title, and I thought to myself.. "Why would anyone care about what a singer thought about ebooks".

It was then I realized that you weren't talking about Bruce Hornsby. DOH
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think he makes some valid points, from his perspective. However, his perspective is not mine, nor is it (I suspect) shared with many of the people on this forum (although I also suspect that we're an extreme niche market :P). And I don't see the need for the inflammatory post title, but whatever. The actual article isn't that bad.

Quote:
Book lovers are always late adaptors, and generally suspicious of new technology
That is the only part I really object to. I'm a book lover and a gadget hound.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
That is the only part I really object to. I'm a book lover and a gadget hound.
As are a majority of us here, I'd imagine. I don't see any reason to suppose that lovers of books are any more or less "technophobic" than any other group.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I don't see any reason to suppose that lovers of books are any more or less "technophobic" than any other group.
But 'book lovers', in the sense of people who love books as objects, will surely take more convincing of the merits of technological replacements than non-book lovers, won't they?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
But 'book lovers', in the sense of people who love books as objects, will surely take more convincing of the merits of technological replacements than non-book lovers, won't they?
Maybe the fetishists

But most book lovers love to read, I presume (hope?). And for those who love to read, ebooks vs. pbooks is not an either/or choice. The new technology offers new options and convenience, while traditional books have their own charms (and are still the best choice for some types of content).

Maybe all of us here are just odd?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I do notice that there is a large number of SciFi readers here. I tend to assume that us geeky types are more attracted to tech. I wouldn't be surprised if we're just more open to reading on a device than the general reading public. Still, I think the rest of them will come around when the devices are more common. Once screens are better and cheaper and things like textbooks and periodicals are more readily available in electronic form than not, we'll have more people used to reading on a device rather than paper. Until that point, geeks aren't a bad market to go after. I don't know what percentage of the reading market reads SciFi but IME they buy a lot more books per person. NYT Best Sellers certainly have wide appeal but most of the folks I know that read a book per week or more are "genre fiction" readers: SciFi, Fantasy, Romance. Until reading devices are super cheap or the screens on multifunction devices are better for reading, ebooks are mostly going to appeal to people who buy A LOT of books.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #24
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Now this topics are revived, I recently came upon a line in a book that talked about hypertexts in academic context. One major problem they are presumed to have is the symbolic status of the book.

The book is *the* symbol for scholarliness.

And I consider Hornby is freightened eBooks might destroy that symbol. And this is even justifiably so. The eBook has potential to destroy the book as symbol for scholarliness. I consider however Hornby mismatches it with the destroyed symbol also scholarliness as concept will be destroyed also, and I think this is wrong.

However yes, it will be far more difficult if you superficially watch a man at his (home)office to determine if s/he does any "inteligent" work or just reads facebook junk all the determine. Currently you can go into his homeoffice you see walls of books, and you think, wow that wo/man must be smart (or at least well educated, I think one can fairly distinguish this traits). In the "new age" of eBooks, you will just see a cosy room, and some device lying on a table. You cannot say if s/he uses it to read about Hegel and Aristoteles or if s/he plays tetris with it all the time. There are less clues, less symbols, you'd really need to talk with him/her.

Also due to this one device does it all, at least with the notebook I catch myself quickly doing distractive things, like posting on mobileread, instead of working what I wanted to do.

Last edited by axel77; 07-23-2008 at 05:08 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Now this topics are revived, I recently came upon a line in a book that talked about hypertexts in academic context. One major problem they are presumed to have is the symbolic status of the book.

The book is *the* symbol for scholarliness.

And I consider Hornby is freightened eBooks might destroy that symbol. And this is even justifiably so. The eBook has potential to destroy the book as symbol for scholarliness. I consider however Hornby mismatches it with the destroyed symbol also scholarliness as concept will be destroyed also, and I think this is wrong.

However yes, it will be far more difficult if you superficially watch a man at his (home)office to determine if s/he does any "inteligent" work or just reads facebook junk all the determine. Currently you can go into his homeoffice you see walls of books, and you think, wow that wo/man must be smart (or at least well educated, I think one can fairly distinguish this traits). In the "new age" of eBooks, you will just see a cosy room, and some device lying on a table. You cannot say if s/he uses it to read about Hegel and Aristoteles or if s/he plays tetris with it all the time. There are less clues, less symbols, you'd really need to talk with him/her.

Also due to this one device does it all, at least with the notebook I catch myself quickly doing distractive things, like posting on mobileread, instead of working what I wanted to do.

You may well have hit it right on the head. How is a person supposed to "judge" the "character" of another if one cannot quickly glance at the titles (or lack thereof) lining that person's bookcase? Yep. I get the feeling that Nick Hornby is that shallow of a person.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #26
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I get the feeling that Nick Hornby is that shallow of a person.
Certainly some of his characters would be -- the record-shop guys in High Fidelity would assess people's "character" based upon their music collections.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I'll never be caught reading Nick Hornby.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
You may well have hit it right on the head. How is a person supposed to "judge" the "character" of another if one cannot quickly glance at the titles (or lack thereof) lining that person's bookcase? Yep. I get the feeling that Nick Hornby is that shallow of a person.
Don't forget: There are plenty of people out there who will buy a book, piece of music, art, etc, because of its status (and what it supposedly confers to those who own it), as opposed to their interest in it. It's one of the things that bolsters bestseller lists, in fact.

The times, they are a'changin'. Where a wall of books formerly sufficed, now a laptop does the job... and as more students are adopting laptops to daily educational use, it's only a matter of time before the book is replaced by the laptop, or possibly something like an education-centric multifunction device, as the "symbol of scholarliness."
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #29
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Oh, Nick...never is an awfully long time.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #30
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Certainly some of his characters would be -- the record-shop guys in High Fidelity would assess people's "character" based upon their music collections.
Ohhhh. I saw that movie. Now I know who wrote the book. That's why he's able to write such convincingly shallow characters!! Well, this explains it all!!
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote