Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Need help with an apostrophe

One time there had been four of them, all stood directly under his window, their high-pitched shrieks, moans and wails sounding like a cats orgy.

Should it be cats, cat's or cats' ?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I say no apostrophe and no plural: "...sounding like a cat orgy."

But I'm not sure.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
IMO, since you said "a cat," singular, the correct possessive form is cat's. If you had said, "several cats" then the form would be cats'. Or rearrange to more clearly say what you probably mean, "an orgy of cats."
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Obligatory link to Bob the Angry Flower's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots!

Since there are four presumably people under the window and an orgy is a multi-participant thing, "cats' orgy" sounds about right (unless it's one cat getting involved in an orgy).

But it looks like awkward phrasing and a less-directly-possessive way of putting it might work out better.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well there would need to be at least 3 cats for an orgy. It's to describe the sound they make when they're shagging. Not sure if you've ever heard cats shagging, but they're not exactly quiet about it.
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Funny thing about that. I had to look it up to be sure but it appears you don't need three to make an orgy. Three or more does seem to be a common interpretation but I see plenty of room in the definitions for two boisterous people to have an orgy. But carry on as you were, lol.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
wraylewis
Enthusiast
wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad and Kindle
Several cats, one orgy = a cats' orgy.
wraylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
John Barlow
John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
It's cats'. However, you might use the singular, as in 'a cat fight' (more than one cat).
I don't think cats are the orgy type.
JB
John Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
wraylewis
Enthusiast
wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wraylewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad and Kindle
I think John is right. My experience is that the strange sound you hear (often sounds like babies crying) is two, and only two, cats in luv!
wraylewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
One time there had been four of them, all stood directly under his window, their high-pitched shrieks, moans and wails sounding like a cats orgy.

Should it be cats, cat's or cats' ?
As mentioned above, you have the "a" in there which makes cat singular. So if you want possessive, cat's would correct.

However cat is being used as an adjective here, so I do not think you want possessive case at all.

a blue orgy
a blue car
a cat orgy

All the same basic format. The cat does not OWN the orgy. Instead you are telling what KIND of orgy.

So in my opinion, singular, non possessive.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraylewis View Post
I think John is right. My experience is that the strange sound you hear (often sounds like babies crying) is two, and only two, cats in luv!
Whereas if it sounds like babies being tortured to death, the sound is two, and only two, foxes in luv.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
As mentioned above, you have the "a" in there which makes cat singular. So if you want possessive, cat's would correct.

However cat is being used as an adjective here, so I do not think you want possessive case at all.

a blue orgy
a blue car
a cat orgy

All the same basic format. The cat does not OWN the orgy. Instead you are telling what KIND of orgy.

So in my opinion, singular, non possessive.
That one makes sense to me, it is the orgy that is singular rather than the cats, and you're right about it being an adjective. But it needs to be clear that cat means small furry animals rather than its other human-related meaning.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
That one makes sense to me, it is the orgy that is singular rather than the cats, and you're right about it being an adjective. But it needs to be clear that cat means small furry animals rather than its other human-related meaning.
Hmm, I think most readers will assume fury animals when they read that. I did at least.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Hmm, I think most readers will assume fury animals when they read that. I did at least.
Most people won't care where the apostrophe goes either, but it matters to me.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
A cat orgy has slightly different connotations to a cats' orgy, to me. The latter seems to have more emphasis on the cats, which seems to fit the original sentence better.

That's just a gut feeling, though. I have no particular expertise other than being a native speaker.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote