Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Lightbulb [STORE] eBook requests

I could not find a thread serving the specific purpose of requesting books not yet sold in the Kobo Store to be published there.

So, if you please, use this thread to tell which books you are missing at the Kobo Store.

By the way, a [STORE] thread prefix for store-related stuff could be useful.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nathan Maharaj is the go to guy for much of the content related negotiations and discussions. He and his staff monitor www.getsatisfaction.com/kobo. I have never seen him post here in the MR forum, but that does not mean that he isn't reading here, of course.

From the contact I have had with him, I know that there are all sorts of weird things that happen in obtaining rights to sell a particular author to folks in a particular geographic location. I know he worked very hard over a prolonged period of time to get books by Louise Penny (a well known Canadian mystery writer) available via Kobo for Canadians. They finally got rights to the books, but wow--the publisher has definitely not made them competitive with Amazon's Canadian prices for the same ebooks.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
In addition to books, the magazine and newspaper section is also abysmal. The Sony bookstore offers a huge selection (comparatively), but Kobo only manages a scant few choices.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now, if only Sony had as many books for Canadians as Kobo has...
Old 10-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Put down contest! lol
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
What I would like to see are pre release or pre orders like Amazon does.

For weeks my husband has been waiting for the new Jack Reacher book. He knew it was coming because Amazon sent him an email telling him all about it and inviting him to preorder. As the price was $9.99 he did exactly that.
However I was quick enough to see that on the release day Kobo was selling it for $10 - by using one of the many 20%off codes I managed to cancel the Amazon order (probably only with minutes to spare!) and get the book from Kobo $1.99 cheaper than Amazon. Plus I saved myself all the DRM and conversion issues.

It would be much easier if Kobo would advertise their pre release books as well.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Put down contest! lol
No, I was serious. I comparison shop every time I buy a book and I would love it if Sony would make more effort to sell to Canadians. Their readers were never competitively priced here, but they seem to be saying that the new ones will be. It would be terrific if they had a bigger presence here for books.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Wanted for the KT - Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If you know how to do the Calibre file conversion/DRM magic thing, the book is available in Kindle format. I didn't see it any place as an ePUB.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Wanted for the New Zealand market - Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Kobo has Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and some Tom Holt (only two, but still).

But I would dearly love to see ANY Robert Rankin in the store.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When I check the Canadian store I see both Necrophenia and Retromancer by Robert Rankin.

Tom Holt shows Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages, Blonde Bombshell, Earth, Air, Fire and Custard, The Portable Door, In Your Dreams, You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here, But…, Little People and Barking.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
When I check the Canadian store I see both Necrophenia and Retromancer by Robert Rankin.

Tom Holt shows Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages, Blonde Bombshell, Earth, Air, Fire and Custard, The Portable Door, In Your Dreams, You Don't Have to be Evil to Work Here, But…, Little People and Barking.
Hmmm....I'm checking from the US, though...

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 11-20-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: LOL, to comment on the fact that I'm now a Zealot!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry Beautifulsoup; how was I meant to know that? Your profile does NOT include a location.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
beautifulsoup
Addict

You weren't meant to know that. All is well. At least from your reply I know those books are available to some!

Tags
book, kobo, missing, online, store