Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I've done a very bad thing...

When I first bought my K3 late last year, I couldn't decide if I'd done the right thing, so I ran down to B&N and bought a Nook. Hated the Nook, took it back, and happily used my K3 ever since.

Well, that is, ever since Monday. I somehow blundered onto the MR Nook forum during my post-Christmas holiday and saw the posts about rooting the Nook Color. Spent a bit of time over on the xda Nook Color forum as well.

So Monday I went to B&N instead of eating lunch, played with the NC for almost an hour, and told two different people contemplating the original Nook how much better the K3 was. I was just about to leave when one of the salepeople piped up and asked if I had any more questions.

What I meant to say was "No thanks. I love my Kindle." What came out of my mouth was "Yes. Do you have any more Nook Colors in stock?". I went back to the hospital, charged up my new NC while I finished the work day, and when I got home Monday night stayed up well past midnight playing with (and yes, rooting) my new NC. I downloaded apps, configured launch screens, and still managed to read 1.5 books yesterday and today while I'm off work.

That's not the worst of it: The really bad thing is that after putting my laptop into overdrive for 3 hours converting my entire library to epub courtesty of Calibre and sideloading those books onto my NC, I tucked my trusty K3 away in a bedside drawer.

I feel almost as if I've somehow cheated!
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
If it works for you OP, it can't be bad

It may turn out that the Nook Color turns into just a fad for you after a period of time OR it may be that it becomes the e-reading device of your choice. There's no right or wrong here.

Just enjoy! Why not?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, did you sign the Amazon Vow of Eternal Faithfulness when you got that Kindle? Because if you did, I'm totally not going to respect you anymore.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Use whatever works for the needs you have.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
If it works for you OP, it can't be bad

It may turn out that the Nook Color turns into just a fad for you after a period of time OR it may be that it becomes the e-reading device of your choice. There's no right or wrong here.

Just enjoy! Why not?
What TKW said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Well, did you sign the Amazon Vow of Eternal Faithfulness when you got that Kindle? Because if you did, I'm totally not going to respect you anymore.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
What I meant to say was "No thanks. I love my Kindle." What came out of my mouth was "Yes. Do you have any more Nook Colors in stock?". I went back to the hospital, charged up my new NC while I finished the work day, and when I got home Monday night stayed up well past midnight playing with (and yes, rooting) my new NC. I downloaded apps, configured launch screens, and still managed to read 1.5 books yesterday and today while I'm off work.
Good for you. Whatever works best for your needs should be what you get
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I played around with one in the store too and reeeeaaally wanted it. So have fun with it! It's great to get a new toy. It does a lot of things the K3 doesn't; I love how magazines look on it.

And you still have the K3 in that drawer, if you ever get homesick for it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Agreed, it seems that you somehow needed a Tablet more than a (dedicated) ereader.

Whatever floats your boat! Enjoy it, and post your comments!
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
travfar
Groupie
travfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguetravfar can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: laptop
I played with one at BB today. I like it. I will get one. I will not pay retail. As these things go, the returns should be sold as refurbs shortly, a couple of months or so. If pricing for the original Nook, or Kindle for that matter, the refurbed Nook Colors should be in the $150 range. I'll jump on one of those. Some people think of them as used. I prefer to think of them as pre-fixed.
travfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I have to say it, how could you be so unfaithfull to your K3?????

Sorry for that , but in all honesty i have also contemplated getting another brand that will accept different formats so i really don't see why you can't enjoy both.

What is the coloured viewing experience like??? i only ever viewed it on a MiGear reader and it was truly awful so it wasn't a fair unit to use for comparison, i will be interested to hear your opinion after a month or so, so enjoy your Nook, but just give K3 a little pat ocassionally ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
What I meant to say was "No thanks. I love my Kindle." What came out of my mouth was "Yes. Do you have any more Nook Colors in stock?"
I hate it when my mouth (and typing fingers) say things that my brain hasn't authorized!

Congrats on your new toy. NookCOLORs are really cool. I would buy one myself if they weren't so expensive. I would still use my K3 as my dedicated reader, but I would like to have one to play with.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm just going to hold out for a tablet
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
TrvlrsChick
Enthusiast
TrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enoughTrvlrsChick will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
I have a Nook, which I love, but I can admire the K3 I got for my parents (which they have yet to open, it's still tucked under the tree awaiting their arrival this weekend for our "belated Christmas.") SO enjoy your NC! It's not like the K3 is your wife and the NC your mistress, more like the K3 is your daily driver car and the NC your fun convertible.
TrvlrsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
Do you experience any eye fatigue after reading on your NC for a long period of time? I work in front of a PC all day and a back lit lcd is the last thing I want to look at when I am at home in the evenings.
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I plan on getting an Android tablet this year. I will use it for web browsing, email, Twitter, and Angry Birds. But I will still do most of my reading on the Kindle.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote