Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Desertgrandma's Banana Bread

1 c. granulated sugar
1 stick butter (room temp)
2 large eggs
3-5 ripe bananas, well mushed
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 c. all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325. Butter a 9x5x3" loaf pan

Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy (I used my RED Kitchen-aid mixer and large bowl.)

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each egg. (I use the low setting)

Mix the milk and cinnamon with the mushed bananas.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir well.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour baking powder, baking soda.

Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour into the pan, and bake 1 hour 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clearn. Cool on rack for 15 minutes, the remove from pan on rack and let cool completely before slicing.

I like mine in the morning with butter, and coffee!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #32
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
1 c. granulated sugar
1 stick butter (room temp)
2 large eggs
3-5 ripe bananas, well mushed
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 c. all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325. Butter a 9x5x3" loaf pan

Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy (I used my RED Kitchen-aid mixer and large bowl.)

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between each egg. (I use the low setting)

Mix the milk and cinnamon with the mushed bananas.

Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir well.

In a separate bowl, mix the flour baking powder, baking soda.

Add dry ingredients, mixing just until flour disappears.

Pour into the pan, and bake 1 hour 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clearn. Cool on rack for 15 minutes, the remove from pan on rack and let cool completely before slicing.

I like mine in the morning with butter, and coffee!
I like my sugar with coffee and cream!

Thanks for the recipe!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #33
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Here it is! Please insert more fine recipes and helpful information.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #34
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Martini's......I make them like Winston Churchill did:

- Two shots of Gin
- Two Olives
- Then, and this is the important part, I look MEANINGFULLY at the Vermouth bottle
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #35
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I at least WAVE the vermouth at it!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Red's case iron fillers:

Chili

3 pounds lean beef ground to preference (fine, coarse, or chunks)

8 tablespoons McCormick Chili powder
4 teaspoons Paprika
4 teaspoons Onion powder
2 teaspoons Garlic
1 teaspoon Cumin

4 - 8 ounce cans Tomato Sauce.

Grey meat, add seasonings and tomato sauce. Simmer for 2-3 hours. Cool. Refrigerate overnight for mellowing.

This here is suitable for Yankees and Old Folks around here.
For more warmth, double the spices (all of 'em).

(Don't make me reach for my .22 - NO BEANS)

Great for breakfast!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #37
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
**8 tablespoons** of Chili powder??? Do you know that's 1/2 a cup?? And that's the "less warm" version?? Yowiee!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #38
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I at least WAVE the vermouth at it!
There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth—
I think that perhaps it’s the gin.

—Ogden Nash (1935)
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #39
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Banana Bread is just great. Easy to make and great comfort food.

* Melted low-fat dairy spread, to grease
* 265g (1 3/4 cups) self-raising flour
* 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 140g (2/3 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
* 125ml (1/2 cup) skim milk
* 2 eggs, lightly whisked
* 50g butter, melted, cooled
* 2 overripe medium bananas, mashed

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with melted dairy spread to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.
2. Sift the combined flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Place the milk, eggs, melted butter and banana in a medium bowl, and stir until well combined. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into slices to serve.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #40
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

don't any of you put walnuts in your banana bread? it is really good with nuts!

I make about 6 different kinds of chilie if anyone is interested.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #41
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I make about 6 different kinds of chilie if anyone is interested.
I could be. I have my own recipe that I like quite a lot, but I'm always looking for interesting versions. I can't get a lot of different kinds of chili pepper where I live though and some recipes seem to require what is here rather exotic ingredients...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #42
krisk
Wizard

I'll do one at a time, come back periodically and update them (I AM at work after all!)

this first one I grew up calling Navajo Green, sometimes it is referred to as Green Chilie Stew. I don't really measure... people comfortable in a kitchen should be able to follow along.

pork roast or loin cut into chunks
flour
salt
pepper
cumin
onions
garlic
tomatillos
anaheim or poblano peppers (canned chilies, by ortega or old el paso can fill in. I could get old el paso in markets in Germany, it may take some looking, but they are out there!)
chicken bullion
olive or canola oil

dredge pork chunks in flour, salt and pepper and cumin mixture, shake meat chunks off so they look just barely white. brown in skillet with the oil. the goal here is that you are going to have left over browned flour in this skillet, remove meat chunks from the skillet when lightly browned (it is ok if they are not done) and make a roux using the chicken bullion and drippings from the skillet. if the chilies are fresh, blister the skins, and peel. retain as much liquid as you can. discard stems, peels, seeds and veins (the heat is more intense in the seeds and veins so you can leave some in accordingly depending on your heat tolerance). if you are using canned chilies, chop them into chunks and poor liquid into your roux. if using fresh tomatillos, put them into boiling water and "stew" them (refer to cookbooks for directions), add to roux. bottled or canned green tomatillo sauce work well in this recipe and if you are time challenged you may prefer to use them. saute onions and garlic in olive oil until transulescent, use amounts depending on your onion/garlic passions. place browned meat chunks and sauteed onions and garlic into seperate pot with chicken bullion just covering the mixture and bring to a boil. adjust pot to a gentle rather than rolling boil for 5 minutes, then combine with the roux. adjust mix accordingly for thickness.

this is best served with warm flour tortillas and butter. very simple, very rib sticking and very yum! as the roux is made with either olive or canola oil, the pork is relatively low fat, this is a pretty healthy dish. I've been able to obtain every ingredient on the open market while stationed in Germany, so hopefully that will not be an issue (well ok, I made the tortillas)
Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #43
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Well, tortillas are not a problem, but those chilis would probably be harder to find. I know I can find preserved jalapenos. Tomatillos I had no idea what was until I just looked them up 5 min. ago

One question; you can't be making much of a roux if the the meat is only supposed to have a dusting of flour? Not that I would want a heavily thickened sauce here anyway, but it puzzled me. Perhaps it's just a difference between what we respectively think of as a roux - I looked it up some time ago, and it looks like the "American way" is to put a great deal more oil in than I have learned to do. So how much oil would you add here, given the very small amount of flour?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
krisk
Wizard

is there anything similar to KaDeWa (I think that's right) in Denmark? I know for sure they carried the Old El Paso canned chilies as well as the tomatillo sauce. whatever you would do for a gravy type of thickness is what you are going for. use any leftover flour to assist in making the gravy. I know it's not terribly helpful but I am totally a touchy feely non measuring cook.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #45
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
You can get fresh poblano chillies and tomatillos from here: http://www.peppersbypost.biz/types.asp - but only if you're in the UK...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote