Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #17971
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I'll start my next book this evening. I don't know whether it'll be a re-read of Fool by Christopher Moore, Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, or Lucy's Bones, Einstein's Brain by Harvey Rachlin (non-fiction). That last is a library book, so I would like to get on with it but I would like some nice comedy and Fool has a preview of Serpent of Venice. However, I was putting Black Swan Green on my wishlist or so I though but I accidentally 1-clicked it. I've honestly never done that before and I'm going to let it stand because I loved Mitchell's "Jacob de Zoet" and Cloud Atlas and have been meaning to pick up "Black Swan" for some time. Anyway, it may have to be "Black Swan."
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #17972
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver. I haven't seen the movie so this should be a good read too.
The Bone Collector was a good read, but I don't think I will continue the series right away. Now I need to watch the movie to see how close it is.

Next up is Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, book 3 of the Odd Thomas series.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #17973
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Brandon Sanderson &

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
My son Matt gifted me with a Kindle book for my birthday last month. It was Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) by Brandon Sanderson. So, even though I don't normally gravitate toward epic fantasy (except for Tolkien), I'm giving it a try. Wish me luck! ...
I finished reading Mistborn: The Final Empire last evening and I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. Eventually I'll need to read the other two novels in the trilogy as well since I feel the need to find out what happens with Vin and the crew and also for Eland too!

The next book that I'll be reading will be The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher #5) by Kerry Greenwood.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #17974
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished Dust by Hugh Howey and thought it was a fitting conclusion to the series.

Not sure what to read next.......
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #17975
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, a quick pass through Balance of Trade, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. This is an early book in the Liaden Universe and I want to catch up on what's gone before for our intrepid Jethri Gobelyn as I get ready to read Trade Secret. I'm actually hoping to hold off the reading of Trade Secret until the Audible book, read by Kevin T. Collins, is out on November 6th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And, while I'm at it, I'm going to read First Frost, an Inspector Jack Frost book written by James Henry with official sanction by the R. D. Wingfield estate.
Well, I simply couldn't wait, so I went ahead and read Trade Secret. And enjoyed it immensely. Too bad we may never hear more from Jethrie, or at least not any time soon.

But now, a break from SFF, and I'm just starting First Frost. Looking forward to this with some trepidation. The R.D. Wingfield Frost books are superb, so I hope the new ones are even 1/2 as good.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #17976
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've just finished " Touch the Devil" by Jack Higgins, book #2 in the 'Liam Devlin' series and enjoyed it every step of the way! It's a series well worth continuing although I'm in the mood for some SF right now. I'll look forward to reading more of Liam Devlin's activities later. So many choices....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:19 AM   #17977
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've just finished " Touch the Devil" by Jack Higgins, book #2 in the 'Liam Devlin' series and enjoyed it every step of the way! It's a series well worth continuing although I'm in the mood for some SF right now.
It's a good series, but you will find, I think, as the series progresses, that they are all pretty much the same. I got bored with it after a few books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #17978
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Thrice Bound by Roberta Gellis. From a recent purchase to my oldest unread purchase, from April 2002!
An enjoyable fantasy set in the ancient Mediterranean. A slight overlap with "The Bull God" and a similar romance sub-plot.

Next up: Trade Secret by Lee and Miller.

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-24-2013 at 05:52 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #17979
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I'm reading The Shining for my Halloween read this year. The past 2 years I've read The Exorcist so I'm trying to change it up this year . I haven't read this book since I was a kid and I'm only in the very beginning, before they even get to the hotel, but so far I'm already hooked into the story.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #17980
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Just finished Dust by Hugh Howey and thought it was a fitting conclusion to the series.

Not sure what to read next.......
So I've decided to read Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor by Matt Stover.

I needed a Star Wars book with the old crew that takes place soon after Return of the Jedi.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #17981
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool possibly The Shining, then Doctor Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I'm reading The Shining for my Halloween read this year. The past 2 years I've read The Exorcist so I'm trying to change it up this year . I haven't read this book since I was a kid and I'm only in the very beginning, before they even get to the hotel, but so far I'm already hooked into the story.
Have yet read the King's new release and sequel to The Shining, Doctor Sleep? If not It'd sure be a great choice to read next!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #17982
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I"m currently re-reading "Flicker: A Novel" (Rediscovered Classics), by Theodore Roszak, one of the best novels I've read about the "...mysterious Max Castle, a nearly forgotten genius of the silent screen who later became the greatest director of horror films, only to vanish in the 1940s, at the height of his talent. Now, 20 years later, as Jonathan seeks the truth behind Castle's disappearance, the innocent entertainments of his youth—the sexy sirens, the screwball comedies, the high romance—take on a sinister appearance. [Amazon]"

I read this when it came out in 1991, I think it was, and I still own the First Edition Hardback. This is an incredible novel - a literary novel, which at the time was nominated for the National Book Award.

He also wrote "The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein."

Here's the Amazon link to "Flicker," if you want to read some other opinions.:

http://www.amazon.com/Flicker-A-Nove...cker+in+kindle

If you like serious novels and you have a love for film, then I can highly recommend this book, one of the most engaging novels that I've ever read.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-23-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #17983
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you, Dr. Drib. You convinced me and I just used the Kobo 50% off Test50 code to buy Flicker to read next, in spite of having purchased a couple dozen books still unread on an earlier Kobo coupon. I'm currently reading Kindred by Octavia Butler recommended by JSWolf. I'm really enjoying it. This thread is bad for my budget, but excellent for finding enjoyable books.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #17984
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Thank you, Dr. Drib. You convinced me and I just used the Kobo 50% off Test50 code to buy Flicker to read next, in spite of having purchased a couple dozen books still unread on an earlier Kobo coupon. I'm currently reading Kindred by Octavia Butler recommended by JSWolf. I'm really enjoying it. This thread is bad for my budget, but excellent for finding enjoyable books.
I'm enjoying Kindred. It is nothing like any other time travel story I've ever read and that's the only science fiction part of the story. They rest is just a really good story of a modern black women (1976) flung back in time to the days of slavery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #17985
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post

You're welcome. It's a dense novel (in the sense of completely engaging and with a rich narrative).

I hope you like it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote