Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How often has your T1 crashed/frozen? (after using it at least 3 days)
Once 38 23.60%
2-3 times 26 16.15%
More than 3 times 35 21.74%
Never 62 38.51%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #316
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You can contact the mods by simply reporting your post and requesting changes
Done! Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing you could do is start a new poll based on the new firmware. That would be good.
I'm not sure such a poll is necessary. But if you'd like to start one, please feel free to do so!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #317
TerryAJ
TerryAJ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
I've had my PRS-T1 only a couple of weeks and am really disappointed in it. It crashes, freezes, restarts itself, loops, goes back to home page without being prompted, doesn't return to the page I was at... on and on and on go the problems.

I contacted the Sony people who said to update the firmware, which is all very well except that I have Linux and it won't do it properly. (Are they ever going to get past the Windows corporate dictatorship?) We worked and worked at trying to get it updated and just when we thought it was okay, within ten minutes it crashed again and totally locked up.

What can I do apart from sending it back?????????
TerryAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #318
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAJ View Post
Use a Windows PC ???
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #319
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
We worked and worked at trying to get it updated and just when we thought it was okay, within ten minutes it crashed again and totally locked up.
Sorry, but it is not clear to me: Did you now actually update the device, or not?

I understand that it is frustrating, being a Linux user, but I only can advise you to look for some friend with a windows machine, download the standalone-updater, hook up your T1 on USB and start the exe-file. It's done in a few minutes, no installs needed.

Also check the inside bezel, where the IR sensors are located. If there is some dust or dirt, this can confuse the sensors.

If it still crashes, the device is defective and needs to be replaced.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #320
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
I contacted the Sony people who said to update the firmware, which is all very well except that I have Linux and it won't do it properly. (Are they ever going to get past the Windows corporate dictatorship?)
Unfortunately, Linux is not the most common OS in the real world, whilst Windows is.

I think the best advice is already been given. Hook your T1 onto a Windows OS based PC and upgrade that way.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 AM   #321
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I've had my PRS-T1 only a couple of weeks and am really disappointed in it. It crashes, freezes, restarts itself, loops, goes back to home page without being prompted, doesn't return to the page I was at... on and on and on go the problems.

I contacted the Sony people who said to update the firmware, which is all very well except that I have Linux and it won't do it properly. (Are they ever going to get past the Windows corporate dictatorship?) We worked and worked at trying to get it updated and just when we thought it was okay, within ten minutes it crashed again and totally locked up.

Sony also supports OS X. So it's not just Windows. Linux isn't really all that well supported. You use an orphan OS, you get abandoned. It's that simple.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #322
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Aren't there Linux applications which can create a Windows emulation environment which will run some Windows applications?
Edit: I stand corrected, apparently this isn't a good idea.

Alternatively, the Sony update .exe file is actually a zip file. WinRAR or 7zip will let you extract all the files contained inside. Perhaps someone technical enough, who knows what they are doing, could track how the update is actually applied.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #323
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Aren't there Linux applications which can create a Windows emulation environment which will run some Windows applications?
I don't recommend using Wine or any other Windows emulation. We've had cases (in the past) of a reader getting bricked because the firmware update didn't work under emulation. All it takes it the emulator to not give enough time to the USB port and there could be trouble. Use real Windows or OS X.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #324
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:

What shame, you're really missing out on a great reader, especially since the problems you're reporting have already been fixed..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #325
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Has anyone installed the updated firmware and if so, what have you seen so far?

I have a few days ago, as posted in another thread here. I have had no freezes or page turns.

I am, however, having a problem with returning a library book. I get a message that I cannot connect to the server. However, I can still delete the book. Anyone else having any issues after the update?

Even with this issue, I am now LOVING my T1!!
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #326
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinszz View Post
Has anyone installed the updated firmware and if so, what have you seen so far?

I have a few days ago, as posted in another thread here. I have had no freezes or page turns.

I am, however, having a problem with returning a library book. I get a message that I cannot connect to the server. However, I can still delete the book. Anyone else having any issues after the update?

Even with this issue, I am now LOVING my T1!!
Overdrive may be having issues with their servers that prevent you from returning the book. That happens occasionally. Try again in a few hours and see if the problem still exists. The update makes a big difference to my enjoyment of the T1! Now I can order a DecalGirl skin since I know I'm going to keep it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #327
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony also supports OS X. So it's not just Windows. Linux isn't really all that well supported. You use an orphan OS, you get abandoned. It's that simple.
With my PocketBook, you copy the firmware update to the reader, press a couple of buttons during the bootup, and the firmware gets installed. No Windows/Mac/Linux dependencies at all. With the latest firmware versions, the device will even get the firmware update itself over WiFi. Now that's simple. Requiring specific computer OS's to do updates is Sony complicating things for us.

And Linux isn't an orphan OS. It may have a small user base compared to Windows, but it is actively being maintained and improved. So I think 'unpopular' would be a better choice of words than 'orphan'.

To TerryAJ, you can update the T1 with a Windows guest OS running inside VirtualBox on a Linux machine. It's work to set up, but it'll come in handy for this kind of crap in the future.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
With my PocketBook, you copy the firmware update to the reader, press a couple of buttons during the bootup, and the firmware gets installed. No Windows/Mac/Linux dependencies at all. With the latest firmware versions, the device will even get the firmware update itself over WiFi. Now that's simple. Requiring specific computer OS's to do updates is Sony complicating things for us.

And Linux isn't an orphan OS. It may have a small user base compared to Windows, but it is actively being maintained and improved. So I think 'unpopular' would be a better choice of words than 'orphan'.

Linux may be worked on, but it is an orphan. It's also unpopular. So I don't see any reason to complain when some software you want to run doesn't work. Terry chose Linux and a Sony Reader when never has Sony supported Linux with any Reader software.

To TerryAJ, you can update the T1 with a Windows guest OS running inside VirtualBox on a Linux machine. It's work to set up, but it'll come in handy for this kind of crap in the future.
Don't use a virtual Windows. It can lead to bricking. It has happened in the past with others using a virtual Windows. It's because the USB doesn't always get enough system resources to keep the stream of the firmware to the Reader going at a proper rate. Find a true Windows or OS X system to update the firmware.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #329
LinuxReader
LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LinuxReader can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: PRS-T1
Firmware update under Linux

Quote:

Are you saying that with the help of Sony's support staff you succeeded in updating your firmware, but that within ten minutes it crashed anyway? If so then it does sound like faulty hardware that will need to be sent back; once the firmware is updated the question of Linux or Windows shouldn't matter.

For what it is worth, here is how I updated my PRS-T1 using only Linux:
  1. Downloaded the updater file (PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE) from Sony's support site.
  2. Unzipped this file under Linux using the command:
    Code:
    unzip PRS-T1_UPDATER_1.0.03.11140.EXE
  3. Connected my PRS-T1 to my Linux PC with its USB cable (causing it to automount /media/SETTING and /media/READER).
  4. Copied one of the unzipped files (PRS-T1 Updater.package) to the /media/READER file system using the command:
    Code:
    cp 'PRS-T1 Updater.package' /media/READER/
  5. Waited for the copy to complete, and then unmounted /media/READER.
  6. Made sure the PRS-T1 had a reasonable charge.
  7. Disconnected the PRS-T1 from the USB cable.
  8. Powered down the PRS-T1 (a full power off to the blank screen).
  9. Held down both the home button and the menu button, and, while keeping them held, pressed the power button to turn on the PRS-T1.
  10. Waited until the PRS-T1 showed its boot screen, and then released the home and menu buttons.
  11. Waited for the update to complete, after which the PRS-T1 automatically rebooted.

My reader now reports itself (Settings/About/Device Information) as running version 1.0.03.11140, so the update appears to have worked for me.

Hope this helps someone, if not TerryAJ!
LinuxReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #330
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
@ Linux User, why not just build a Virtual Machine?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote