Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
650/950 vs Kindle3

I know all the commonly known differences between the new Sony line and K3 - everything is there in specifications. nO of books etc - I know all of that.
Anyway, it's always like finding sth in your toy that you love and/or sth you just can't stand. Or sth that makes one toy far more user-friendly than another - sometimes against the logic.
I'd really like to see a comparison of 950 (or 650) with K3 written by someone, that used both of them. A review concentrated on impressions and experience, rather than on comparing the pure specs. Anyone here?

I just keep on wondering if I should go for "best&cheapest", which is Kindle3, or invest in one extra inch and a touch - PRS950...
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
After owning the Sony PRS500 and 505, I'm saving to buy the 950 after spending time with the K3 and Sony units in the store. For me, the screen contrast/clarity/size, file compatibility, and build quality are most important considerations.

I have a large collection of public domain Sony lrf and epub formatted ebooks, & pdf conversions. This helped me to focus on the 950. To me, the touch and wi-fi features are nice but not critical.

The K3 is a very good reader for the $$. However, the choice can come down to personal preference. Like buying a car, you select it based on your personal needs, available $$, and intended use.

By the way -- put money aside for a sturdy cover or case. Ebook readers are prone to screen breakage.

Last edited by gardenstate; 11-17-2010 at 04:03 AM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Covers are of a same price both in amazon and sony, so it's not an important variable
950 is more than double price of K3. I can spend it - just not sure, if it's worth

What makes me thinking of 950: I always highlight a lot of things in every book I read. In ebook, I need to be able to make it easily - guess the touch simplifies it a lot (?).
But in K3 it's neither complicated.
I'd love to be able to copy from the reader to PC a file with all the parts highlighted - but I think it is only possible to have a file with all the "highlighted" things copied into, but no possibility of a complete (e)book with highlights/bookmarks inside.
Then, I like big letters, so with 7" of 950 I expect reading to be more pleasant (in landscape mode, most probably).
In fact, there isn't much more, especially, that the screens are the same in both cases.
So 100$ for a touch and +1"

Nevertheless, I wouldn't like to discover (buying on or another) sth that would make me hate my new toy despite all its advantages (sometimes one finds such a small, apparently totally immaterial things that cancel all the fun)

Last edited by grissley; 11-17-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Having played a little with friends' K3s and owning a 650 , a lot of the appeal of the 650 is aesthetic for me: I like the finish and colours, the Sony is heavier and feels more substantial when holding it, and I prefer the simpler design without the rows of buttons. While I like the K3 features, it looks and feels to me like an almost disposal piece of technology that displays books, but when using the 650, the technology aspect seems less obvious, I think of it as a book first and a device second. Also, I don't think I could go back to a non-touch reader now: it's just so much easier to look up definitions and navigate the menus.
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I got the newest Kindle because I wanted Pearl. Then the 650 came out. I used it for a day and returned the Kindle. Issues with the Kindle: 1. Jagged lines when justified. 2. No ePub (much better than mobi format -- Sony will also read LRF). 3. Touch is MUCH better for navigating than having to push buttons. If you need to buy a lot of books, the Amazon store is better than the Sony one, but otherwise I find the Sony preferable. One other thing: both have covers with built-in lights available. I found the Sony light is brighter and does a better job of illuminating the screen.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Good day, grissley. I am a happy user of both the 950 and the Kindle 3. I think both are wonderful devices. It really comes down to your personal preferences and what you plan to do with the ereader.

I suggest you start by visiting inkmesh.com which is a bookstore comparison site. If your favorite author turns out to be only available on Amazon, then that might make your decision for you.

I use my 950 as my primary ereader because I prefer to support the more open EPUB format with my paid-purchases. I am also a frequent elibrary user. The Kindle is not compatible with the ebook formats that most libraries have.

I like my Kindle better for periodicals, magazines and blogs. The selection at Amazon for this content is significantly better. Although you can get free news content packaged into an ebook for either Sony or Kindle by using software called calibre.

I like the way the Sony does PDFs better, but neither brand is fantastic in this area. I like how the Sonys can do a multi-column view if you read a lot of 2 or 3-column PDF files. On the Kindle you have to zoom and pan.

I am a wikipedia fan. It is integrated into both the K3 and the Sony 950. It is not integrated into the Sony 650.

Kindle does audiobooks better. Sony has a better MP3 player.

They are about equal for annotations. Both have pros and cons. If you are interested in this feature, then I can expand further if necessary.

I love the extra inch of the 950 (fewer page turns). The 2 models are about the same size to hold in your hands.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 11-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Bookworm_Girl's comments reflect my own experience pretty closely.

Ultimately, the two feel very different and have quite different interfaces. Really, you need to go to a store where you can hold the Sony and find someone who has a K3 you can look at 'in the flesh.' Amazon have an excellent returns policy, so it may be possible for you to order one to try and then return it, depending on your location.

I think most people know pretty quickly which their preference is for. I suspect the main deciding factors will be whether you prefer the Sony's touch interface, nicer tactile-feel to hold (I take ereaders out of their cases whenever possible) and dictionary support, or the K3's wireless, thinner form factor and general user interface. I will say that the way the two handle fonts is very different. Amazon tends to aim for sharper lines and higher contrast, Sony more rounded with a bit of fuzziness in the rendering (talking about the rendering engine, rather than the screens).

I enjoy having both, and find they compliment each other well rather than simply duplicating each other's features.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Good day, grissley. I am a happy user of both the 950 and the Kindle 3. I think both are wonderful devices. It really comes down to your personal preferences and what you plan to do with the ereader.

I suggest you start by visiting inkmesh.com which is a bookstore comparison site. If your favorite author turns out to be only available on Amazon, then that might make your decision for you.

I use my 950 as my primary ereader because I prefer to support the more open EPUB format with my paid-purchases. I am also a frequent elibrary user. The Kindle is not compatible with the ebook formats that most libraries have.

I like my Kindle better for periodicals, magazines and blogs. The selection at Amazon for this content is significantly better. Although you can get free news content packaged into an ebook for either Sony or Kindle by using software called calibre.

I like the way the Sony does PDFs better, but neither brand is fantastic in this area. I like how the Sonys can do a multi-column view if you read a lot of 2 or 3-column PDF files. On the Kindle you have to zoom and pan.

I am a wikipedia fan. It is integrated into both the K3 and the Sony 950. It is not integrated into the Sony 650.

Kindle does audiobooks better. Sony has a better MP3 player.

They are about equal for annotations. Both have pros and cons. If you are interested in this feature, then I can expand further if necessary.

I love the extra inch of the 950 (fewer page turns). The 2 models are about the same size to hold in your hands.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your decision.
Hope you don't mind one more "advantage" for the Sony - The handwriting/drawing feature will allow you to have it autographed at book signings. Then you can export those to your PC, and if you so desire, edit them into the author's ebook. This is how I've gotten around the whole, "But you can't sign an ebook" problem.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Richey79,

I think your perception of the Sony would change drastically after using a 950 for 5 minutes. I'm not suggesting that you might not still prefer the K3, as it does come down to personal preferences, but the new 950 is quite thin and does have wireless and is sharp at the edges.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Hope you don't mind one more "advantage" for the Sony - The handwriting/drawing feature will allow you to have it autographed at book signings. Then you can export those to your PC, and if you so desire, edit them into the author's ebook. This is how I've gotten around the whole, "But you can't sign an ebook" problem.
Brilliant! What a clever idea!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I got the newest Kindle because I wanted Pearl. Then the 650 came out. I used it for a day and returned the Kindle. Issues with the Kindle: 1. Jagged lines when justified. 2. No ePub (much better than mobi format -- Sony will also read LRF). 3. Touch is MUCH better for navigating than having to push buttons. If you need to buy a lot of books, the Amazon store is better than the Sony one, but otherwise I find the Sony preferable.
I had pretty much the same experience. I don't find the Amazon store to be a huge advantage, because the Sony takes epubs and pdfs from SO many different sources.

I'll add that I love being able to download library epubs to the Sony.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Jar Jar Binks
Enthusiast
Jar Jar Binks began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650 And PRS 350 Yay I got it !!! I got it !!! I'm in love.
I used this site to decide what I am going to buy
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I don't have a Kindle 3, but do have a Kindle 1 and just started using the Sony PRS-650 (formerly owned two PRS-505s).

Kindle Pros
- As others have stated, if you want to buy your books from Amazon, get a Kindle. They have the shopping experience perfected (imo).
- Likewise, if you want to share an account/books with someone else -or- sync across multiple devices (e.g. switch between reading on the phone and your reader), I recommend the Kindle. I got a Kindle for my non-tech mom and love that I can buy/share books with her. More importantly, she doesn't have to do a thing but turn the wireless on to get the books I have bought for her.
- I still enjoy using the wireless for News and Entertainment updates.

Sony Pros
That being said, I loved my Sony PRS-505 and love my 650 even more. I bought my first 505 as a supplement to my Kindle for library books. It quickly became my primary reader.
- Not having the physical keyboard, makes it more portable. (With the Kindle, I always found myself measuring the pockets in handbags to see if it would fit).
- I upgraded for the better screen clarity/turns (which the Kindle 3 has as well). But it ended up being the flick of the finger page turns that became the WOW factor. I have a problem with most touch screens (my phone has a physical keyboard), but the Sony technology/implementation converted me.
- With the expansion of library book availability, I am finding this to be a bigger source of my reading over time.

While I am tempted by the Kindle upgrades, I guess its the non-replaceable battery that has held me back (and the fact that my Kindle 1 still works fine and I never had issues with the page turn keys, etc..). I think the wireless shortens the battery life. I know others will dispute this being an issue but both my mom and I had to replace our K1 batteries after 18-24 months of use. But the Sony's (without wireless) still had good battery life, although not as longs as new, after a similar period. That being said, we're both pretty heavy readers (I probably read 2-3 books/week and my mom, who is retired, 3-5 books/week).

Both have their advantages...and I vary my recommendations depending on the person. I prefer the Sony but would never get a Sony for my mom (I got her a Jetbook and after she read the couple of books I loaded for her, never touched it again).

Last edited by Boston; 11-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:35 AM   #14
grissley
Enthusiast

Thank you all for your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yep, very interested. Maybe not even in making annotations, it's rather about highlighting/bookmarking the text.
It's been a time I cannot leave (ok - read) without a highlighter. And I just really need an electronic equivalent for my yellow highlighter
Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grissley View Post
Thank you all for your answers
Yep, very interested. Maybe not even in making annotations, it's rather about highlighting/bookmarking the text.
It's been a time I cannot leave (ok - read) without a highlighter. And I just really need an electronic equivalent for my yellow highlighter
grissley, here is my opinion of highlighting and bookmarks.

Bookmarks are equally easy to set on both models. Double-click the upper right corner on the Sony touch screen. There is a Kindle keyboard shortcut (Alt +B).

Highlighting: On the Sony you just trace the words on the touchscreen with your fingertip just like you would with a highlighter. On the Kindle you have to use the joystick to move the cursor around on the screen and select text. I like the Sony method because it’s easy, but the Kindle method isn’t as much of a pain as it sounds.

Viewing the highlights on the ereader: Both models are about equal. You have to go through menu clicks on both.

The real difference is how you view annotations away from the ereader. Here is what I mean:

Sony: You can view the annotations in your book within the Sony Reader Library desktop software. You can even add annotations on your computer and then sync them with the ones on your ereader. You can also export your annotations from the Sony Reader software to an RTF file. However, on a DRM-protected book, it only exports 100 characters of your highlight to the RTF file for copyright reasons. 100 characters is not a lot of text! So sometimes I have to edit the file to add the rest of the quote that I want to capture or highlight in smaller blocks.

Kindle: The Kindle doesn’t have desktop software to view your annotations on your computer. Instead you can upload them to your Amazon account where you can view them anytime/anywhere. Whereas Sony exports your annotations to a separate file for each book, Kindle exports all annotations into a single file for all books. So if you read multiple books, then this file can get messy. On the other hand, the Kindle file saves more than 100 characters. The Kindle limits you to highlighting a percentage of the book, and it varies by each book because it is set by the publisher. So if you highlight loads of data, then you might reach this percentage before you get to the end of the book.

And that’s why I said that the two models are about equal because they both have their pros & cons.