Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Fascinating: Ambivalence, shades of Grey, and Decisiveness

Why So Many People Can't Make Decisions

Seeing the world as black and white, in which choices seem clear, or shades of gray can affect people's path in life, from jobs and relationships to which political candidate they vote for, researchers say. People who often have conflicting feelings about situations—the shades-of-gray thinkers—have more of what psychologists call ambivalence, while those who tend toward unequivocal views have less ambivalence.....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...704692936.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Carl Jung did a lot of work on personality types, and the dichotomy between Judgers and Perceivers was one of the four dimensions he used. He never made them hard-and-fast categories, nevertheless the Meyers-Briggs Personality Types was developed following his insights. Judgers tend to quick decisions, and may even be uncomfortable with ambiguity. Perceivers tend to the opposite, wanting to know everything before deciding, in the worst cases. In more average cases, they recognize that perfect knowledge is impossible, and get on with life anyway. It's not that we can't make decisions, it's just that we don't (want to) make them as fast as the Judgers want us to.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm ambivalent about that article.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
This came out last year (I have it, but have never gotten around to reading it, so no vouching for it.)

http://www.amazon.com/How-We-Decide-.../dp/0618620117
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Carl Jung did a lot of work on personality types, and the dichotomy between Judgers and Perceivers was one of the four dimensions he used. He never made them hard-and-fast categories, nevertheless the Meyers-Briggs Personality Types was developed following his insights. Judgers tend to quick decisions, and may even be uncomfortable with ambiguity. Perceivers tend to the opposite, wanting to know everything before deciding, in the worst cases. In more average cases, they recognize that perfect knowledge is impossible, and get on with life anyway. It's not that we can't make decisions, it's just that we don't (want to) make them as fast as the Judgers want us to.
Going on that description; I am a Perceiver.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I'm ambivalent about that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
This came out last year (I have it, but have never gotten around to reading it, so no vouching for it.)

http://www.amazon.com/How-We-Decide-.../dp/0618620117
I remember seeing that and almost buying it....thanks for the reminder...
Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Going on that description; I am a Perceiver.

Cheers

Per M/B I'm an INTJ (or almost an INFJ)....
Old 10-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I believe that a crises can bring out a strength and quick thinking in us that we did not even realize we had.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Per M/B I'm an INTJ (or almost an INFJ)....
Me too! (At least, I was when I was younger and more idealistic - I wonder if I took it again how I'd measure up)...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Me too! (At least, I was when I was younger and more idealistic - I wonder if I took it again how I'd measure up)...
Well, they claim it doesn't change and that has been true in my experience. I've taking a couple of different versions of the test at different times and got almost identical results.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I must be weird. I'm pretty harshly judgmental of what actions or beliefs I believe are wrong, but generally uncertain of what is or would be the right thing in that situation. It's not a pleasant state to be in, but cognitive dissonance is rarely a desirable state.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote