Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
You probably didn't have to do all that. Any time after a restart, it takes Kindle 30 seconds or so to load all the content. Just be patient.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I tried updating, got a message saying that the update was not successful and that Kindle was restarting.

It doesn't seem to have been harmed though...
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check your setting page, maybe you already had 2.0.1 installed?

Otherwise try re-downloading and trying again?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #19
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Check your setting page, maybe you already had 2.0.1 installed?

Otherwise try re-downloading and trying again?
My setting page says 2.0, I've tried twice now, same result.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #20
kkun
kkun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
yeah, did the update, says Kindle 2.0 (291330095). Unsure if that last number changed or not.
kkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #21
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkun View Post
yeah, did the update, says Kindle 2.0 (291330095). Unsure if that last number changed or not.
That's exactly what mine says also.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Updated, went fine, mine says 2.01 (303870012).

No idea what might have changed, though. Text to speech still works on .azw books.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #23
nelamvr6
Zealot

Can anyone make an md5sum of the bin file so I can check if my download is ok please?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur

2f8e37c3c6d4225ebcc9573163dc0bae

Are you sure you put it in the root directory?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
nelamvr6
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
2f8e37c3c6d4225ebcc9573163dc0bae

Are you sure you put it in the root directory?
Thanks, I got a different sum.

OK, my download has a different sum, must've got corrupted somehow.

Off to try again...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
nelamvr6
Zealot

OK, now I have a good bin file, I'll give it another go...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #27
nelamvr6
Zealot

OK! That time it worked!

NOW.... If only we knew what this update is. I mean, for all I know I just enabled the super secret GPS so the guvment can track my every move!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
nelamvr6
Zealot

Thanks for the help sirbruce!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
kkun
kkun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Thanks for the help sirbruce!
+1
kkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Thanks SirBruce. Your instructions for manually downloading the bin file and forcing the update - it worked fine, no problems. I had tried the process listed on the Amazon support site three times and it did never did the update - even though I let it sit once for over two hours in sleep mode.

Now if we only knew what the update accomplished. I can only assume it had to do with the text-to-speech issue. Others have said the update was mentioned before the TTS issue came to a head, but I suspect they had bene in discussions and knew they were going to have to do an update to accomodate this potential issue.

Bob
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote