Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 02:43 PM   #1
wildchild1954
Connoisseur
wildchild1954 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T510
Import my libraries

I had to reinstall my Windows 10 Pro OS and I kept all of my old data. However, when I reinstalled Calibre it won't import all of my old libraries, and I have a lot of them. I have all of the books in the main Calibre LIbrary but then I have all of the individual authors in their own library so I can easily switch working with one author to another:

How can I make Calibre recognize all of my libraries?
wildchild1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild1954 View Post
I had to reinstall my Windows 10 Pro OS and I kept all of my old data. However, when I reinstalled Calibre it won't import all of my old libraries, and I have a lot of them. I have all of the books in the main Calibre LIbrary but then I have all of the individual authors in their own library so I can easily switch working with one author to another:

<modified IMG tags to URL tags to expose URL>
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...c-kW2r1a7uJNlT
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...WLoFEIPezOh9g-

How can I make Calibre recognize all of my libraries?
One item is that your IMG links both give a 404 error. In Advanced mode, you can try using the Manage Attachments button below the message entry box or the paperclip icon in the toolbar which is a much better solution.

Were your author libraries physical libraries or were they virtual libraries (essentially a library created from a search), in this case author name?

Last edited by DNSB; 04-01-2024 at 03:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Import? Did you use the matching Export tool?
If it is simply a backup:
(calibre not running)
Simply paste that Folder (the ones that contains the Author names and metadata.db) into the new PC. (BUT NOT an existing Library folder)

Start Calibre: Right click the Library icon: Create switch: Use EXISTING:<navigate to that folder name you pasted>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:47 PM   #4
wildchild1954
Connoisseur

Lets see if this will work:

Old 04-01-2024, 04:00 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Lets see if this will work:

Only if you enjoy seeing Amazon sign up pages. The URLs refer me back to Amzon.ca to sign up for Amazon photos.

Why not use the Manage attachments or paperclip tool to add them as attachments to your message.
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
wildchild1954
Connoisseur

OK, I'll try that. And all of the author libraries were actual libraries. But I don't see anything about paperclips on here! I did manage to upload them using the Attach Files under Additional Options but I don't know if they will show up with this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	207286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	207287  
Old 04-01-2024, 05:18 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You appear to have all your libraries (Calibre Library, Calibre--Arken G.A. etc) inside the calibre library "Calibre Libraries" - because it has a .calnotes folder, as well as a metadata.db file that folder is a Calibre library.

I would suggest you ditch the Author and Genre libraries (Anthologies, Fanfiction etc) and use calibre as its meant to be used - via it's database, which will be infinitely faster than switching between dozens of libraries.

Watch the videos to learn how ==>> calibre - Watch it in action

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:56 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

The paperclip is in the tool bar to the right of the smiley face. The Manage Attachments button is in the Additional options box. See attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachments_mr_advanced.png
Views:	36
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	207288  
Old 04-01-2024, 07:34 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@wildchild1954 - and please attach original images, not thumbnails from an image host. I had to download the images you posted and load them into an image viewer to read them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:05 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OK, I'll try that. And all of the author libraries were actual libraries. But I don't see anything about paperclips on here! I did manage to upload them using the Attach Files under Additional Options but I don't know if they will show up with this post.
Can you actually make your images full size please? They are way too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:37 AM   #11
wildchild1954
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I would suggest you ditch the Author and Genre libraries (Anthologies, Fanfiction etc) and use calibre as its meant to be used - via it's data base, which will be infinitely faster than switching between dozens of libraries.
BR
I'm sorry but I find it infinitely faster to switch between the individual author or genre libraries than to go searching through a library of over 400 books for a specific one. So I guess my only solution is going to be to spend a couple of days setting up all of my libraries (along with the metadata for each book) again.

Thanks anyway.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:39 AM   #12
wildchild1954
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@wildchild1954 - and please attach original images, not thumbnails from an image host. I had to download the images you posted and load them into an image viewer to read them.

BR
Those 𝑎𝑟𝑒 the original images.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:30 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Faster searching ??? Calibre is a LIBRARIAN and manager. Click and the book will be delivered

That is what the Tag browser does for you.
Click any Author
Click a Series
Click a Publisher
Click a (topic) tag If assigned
(complete names are almost instant because those are indexed in the database. Partial values take a few instants longer because those indexes need be parsed. NO WAY a human can do it faster using the OS )

AND MANY MORE singly or in combination
Or simply type into the search bar
Code:
tags:"=Science Fiction.Military" and authors:drake
(I use hierarchical format for my tags YMMV)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:29 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've 7000 ebooks (mostly PD). Finding a book is nearly instant even without tags or collections. But my collections are basically curated tags / genre, so that's fast too if only know the genre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote