Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-04-2019, 05:01 AM   #1
mopkin
mopkin began at the beginning.

Device: none
A little help with template functions in a composite column, please!

I am not a programmer, and I am stuck with the template in a custom column I am trying to create. I was hoping, someone here could help me.

I have 2 custom columns which I use as source of data for the third column. Column_1 is looking for PDFs in book formats, and when PDF is not present, returns N/A. Here's the expression: {formats:contains(PDF, , N/A)}

Column_2 is a regular text column with permitted values, which has only one value: Yes. (Or empty, if it's a No). This is a "manual" column, where I myself select Yes when needed.

Column_3 derives its values from the first two columns, either Yes, or N/A. I used the example of a relevant expression in the Calibre Manual online and came up with this: {#column_2:'ifempty($, field('#column_1'))'}. It works perfectly fine, correctly returning either Yes, or N/A, or empty.

What I am struggling with, is the empty in Column_3. I would like it to say No, so that the column always has a value, either Yes, or No, or N/A. But as I said, I am not a programmer, so I wasn't able to fix the expression for column_3, so it would return a No when Column_2 is empty.

It is always possible to add a No to Column_2, but I would rather avoid it, because Yes is a very rare occurrence, and it would mean I would have to manually add a No to every other book, when there might be a much easier solution. I would really appreciate if someone with the knowledge of Python (I am assuming, the expression above is in Python) could help me out with this.
mopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
First, the template language isn't python. It is something I made up.

It seems that the empty value is coming from #column_1. If I am right then this template should work.
Code:
{:'first_non_empty(field('#column_2'), field('#column_1'), 'No')'}
It says use #column_2 if it has a value, otherwise use #column_1 if it has a value, otherwise return 'No'.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
mopkin
mopkin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you so much Charles! It works perfectly!
mopkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column settings, columns, functions, python function, templates