Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
markolopolos1
markolopolos1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some questions

Hello everybody!
I am thinking of getting myself a Nook,but I have some questions.
1.How is it with the built in dictionary.I've read about it, and everybody said it was really bad, but those posts are quite old, so can anybody tell me if it improved?
2.Is the page turning slower than Kindle, and is it bearable ?
3.Does Nook support Eastern Europe diacritical letters ?
Thanks in advance.
markolopolos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
jdiemart
jdiemart began at the beginning.

Device: nook
The only one I can answer is that the page turing is not slower than the kindle that I have seen, and yes it's absolutely bearable. No slower than physically turning a page in a print book!

I only used the dictionary to play with it so I really don't know how good it is.

I read my nook all the time and really like it.
jdiemart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
JDługosz
JDługosz is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by markolopolos1 View Post
3.Does Nook support Eastern Europe diacritical letters ?
see here.
JDługosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
On question #1, I'd say the dictionary on the nook is average, and definitely not the best. A feature I'd love is if we could purchase any dictionary and load it onto the nook and select it as the dictionary to use. I've never used a kindle, so I'm not sure how much better their dictionary is, but for me, I think it's fair to say 3 times out of 10, nook's dictionary doesn't find the word I'm trying to look up...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I tried to use the dictionary about 4 times, 1 time I got a hit, the other times, well, I still don't know whether it was a typo or a real word that wasn't in the dictionary. It is easy to look up a word.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
bassman592
bassman592 began at the beginning.

Dictionary is bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolopolos1 View Post
1.How is it with the built in dictionary.I've read about it, and everybody said it was really bad, but those posts are quite old, so can anybody tell me if it improved?
I agree with others who are critical of the dictionary. I get maybe 1 out of 4 hits. I like the idea of being able to use a dictionary of my own choosing, but there may be some technical barrier to doing that. Still, the built-in dictionary should definitely be better.
bassman592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I think the dictionary is above average. It finds most of the words I am looking for. However, I was using a Jetbook before which has a worthless dictionary unless you are trying to translate common words to another language so anything was a big improvement.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
I too think the built-in dictionary isn't as bad as some people claim; not being a native speaker myself, I've tried it on a few obscure words I couldn't place, and it had them. Of course, a native speaker may tend to look up other words than a non-native one does, so the dictionary may serve one group better than the other.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I simply don't know if the dictionary is good or bad, actually. I have a really large vocabulary so I don't look up common words, and I read a lot of fantasy fiction where words can be made up, plus there is the possible-typo issue --so not getting a hit in the dictionary is not necessarily meaningful, even if it is frustrating. I can vouch for it being easy to use, though.

Ideally the nook would use the unabridged OED
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
envy
Brown Eyed Girl
envy doesn't litterenvy doesn't litter

Device: Sony Prs 600, Nook, Sony prs 350
I don't like the dictionary on the nook. its way too complicated. on my sony prs 600, all i had to do was tap twice on the word and the definition popped up.

anyway as for the nook, its not the best but its livable.
envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
druzyek
druzyek began at the beginning.

Most of my books are in PDF format so the dictionary is worthless anyway. You can only look up words in ePub books.
druzyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #12
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook & PRS-600
Page turning in current firmware is perfectly fine ... pages change before I get my eyes back to the top of the page ;-)

Dictionary is ok - I've rarely used it (3-4 times) but although it actually found each word without fail (somewhat unusual words), the definitions offered were fairly skimpy and lacked depth/nuance. Pro-nun-cia-tions were strangely written such that they weren't worth much.

Having said this, I VERY much enjoy the nook. I doubt I'd be willing to pay for a better dictionary given my limited use of it anyhow.
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote