Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Font problem

After the painful anticipation, my 360 arrived today. Have to say I can't be happier with the hardware, it's just so nice and slick. But then I encountered some problems with the font for Vietnamese. I copied Times Unicode font to system/fonts folder then change the Interface Font to that font. But when I tried opening a Vietnamese book the characters came out weird. Did I do anything wrong? Do I have to embed the font or something, and if so, how. Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year to all.
DNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi

1) are you Reading the ebook using fbreader on the PocketBook? Go to Menu / Books and do a long press on the middle OK button and you should get Open With ... Then choose FBReader

2) once your book is open do a quick press on the middle OK button and choose the settings icon where you should be able to select your font you've installed

I don't know if this will fix it but I hope it does and Happy New Year
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
DNT
DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DNT has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm using FBReader as the default reader and encoding is UTF8 but the result was disappointing. The book I was trying to read is in prc format, if that is somehow relevant. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't have a PocketBook, but the usual reasons for FBReader not being able to display an ebook are a) wrong font, or b) wrong encoding. If you have selected the font inside FBReader (as poshm described) then what is left is the encoding. I'm not sure if the PocketBook allows manual changes to the encoding. This is possible using Desktop FBReader (Windows or Linux), where it is under the i-BOOK icon (the font is under the gear wheel icon). So it may be worth seeing if Desktop FBReader has the same problem.

MOBI ebooks do have an explicit encoding specified in their metadata, but FBReader does not use this (so it may be using cp-1252 by default). I'm not sure if this is a lack of attention to the MOBI format within FBReader or because the encoding is often wrong (and it is quite often wrong in MOBIs). The latest FBReader does use the encoding specified in an ePub, so converting to ePub using Calibre might fix your problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Yes, PB360 FBReader allows manually selecting the encoding.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't have a PocketBook, but the usual reasons for FBReader not being able to display an ebook are a) wrong font, or b) wrong encoding. If you have selected the font inside FBReader (as poshm described) then what is left is the encoding. I'm not sure if the PocketBook allows manual changes to the encoding. This is possible using Desktop FBReader (Windows or Linux), where it is under the i-BOOK icon (the font is under the gear wheel icon). So it may be worth seeing if Desktop FBReader has the same problem.

MOBI ebooks do have an explicit encoding specified in their metadata, but FBReader does not use this (so it may be using cp-1252 by default). I'm not sure if this is a lack of attention to the MOBI format within FBReader or because the encoding is often wrong (and it is quite often wrong in MOBIs). The latest FBReader does use the encoding specified in an ePub, so converting to ePub using Calibre might fix your problem.
Yes manual encoding changes are possible! Vietnamese encoding is expressly supported. You can change your encoding by tapping you ok button, then go to configuration (the tools icon) then change your encoding manually.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
DNT

I tried a few font/encoding combinations but none works so far.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I am having the same issue with a japanese font and a prc file. Ill see if I can get an answer about it.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #9
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
I tried the cena font recommended by poshm. Works for interface font. But when I use it for FBreader, it just draws a blank. Trying to figure out why. Seems fine with the other fonts though.
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hi Larrie

My Cena font is named CENAN___.TTF but if I hold my mouse over it says CENA regular true-type font. I am running Windows Vista Home edition and this was on my system.

I really can't explain how it works for me and not for you unless you have a different version of the CENA font? I did look to see if I could find a download for it online but sadly I could not find it which is a shame. But I suggest to try any true-type fonts you have installed on your windows edition and see what you like - you can easily delete fonts you don't wish to use.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Could i get the epub and the font file via PN ?

Last edited by Ulli; 01-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #12
DNT

So anyone knows how to get the 360 to read vietnamese?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Thanks a lot for your help poshm. It appears to be the exact same font. You are right, I am also wondering why cena does not appear on my version of the PBreader.. (am on latest FW 14.2 as well). i get the feeling that somehow a "white" version of the font gets loaded for the PB reader, so white on white = Blank! Strangely enough, it functions fine as an interface font. I was considering a FW reset, but since all the other fonts worked just fine on my PBreader, I decided to just do with the other fonts for now..
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
Alilas
Text Transformer
Alilas began at the beginning.

Device: ivory PB360 and Nook Wifi
I've tried a few Thai ebooks using a Thai font called Angsana. The consonants are great. The higher and lower vowels problems that normally expected are rare. Overall, they looks fabulous but, in fact, unreadable.

At the end of every lines, a few words keep disappearing. I've used ePub and fb2. The results are exactly the same for both formats. Someone recommends about making PDF with big font size and smaller document size but I haven't try this way.
Alilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Hmm, curious, Alilas, curious...
Going through the list of usual suspects:
1- Latest firmware?
2- Original FB Reader or SFF SBReader
3- Tried ePub with both FBReader and Adobe Reader?
4- Tried ePub and FB2 on PC?
5- (Assuming the eBooks are home-made/converted) how are they made/converted? Calibre? Book Designer? Something else?
7- What was the original format?
6- Try RTF, DOC, HTML or TXT...

The fact that the document displays properly but consistently crops one margin (Viewport-ing it, in effect) suggests a conversion issue somewhere.

Curious...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote