Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Which one to buy - multiple formats?

Newbie format question

I have been reading eBook since I bought my first Palm in the 1990’s and I have quite a large collection of eBooks in different formats. Can you give me some advice on an eBook reader that can cope with a wide variety of formats?

My most common format is PDF, but I have lots of PRC, LIT, HTML, RTF and TXT.

Alternatively could anyone suggest bulk format conversion software?

Thanks
vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
There are many devices that will read most of those formats. Astak Pocket Pro and Pocketbook 360 spring to mind as natively reading most of those formats, minus LIT. A good conversion software is Calibre which can be found on this site in that section.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Which format?

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I convert my eBooks to a standard format which one would you recommend. Which is the most widely used in eBook Readers?

Thanks

Vans
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Epub is becoming the industry standard. I guess it depends on where you want to get your books from as to what format you'd be predominately using.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jetbook, or Jetbook lite.
What it does well is read more file types than anything else out there that I'm aware of.
Very clear easy to read screen with high contrast.

What it doesn't, is connect to store with wireless network to buy books.
Can add SD card for more storage space. Comes with charger and USB cable to load books.

Newegg and several other sites have them priced below 200$ right now.

For *.lit ABC Amber Lit converter, will save as .doc, .rtc, .txt, and many more, freeware.
Will easily convert files by the folderload. Just choose the folder, where to save, file type you want them saved as.

I convert my pdf files to text so I don't have to scroll every page.
Zilla PDF converter free version saves to .txt only, paid version has more options.
It also does batch converting very nicely.

I believe the next version of Jetbook Updated Firmware is going to do HTML and EPub.
So I'm holding off till they get the bugs out of it. Then will update my Jetbook with the new firmware.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 03:53 AM   #6
vans
Zealot

Thanks GhostHawk. I have hundreds of lit books and I have downloaded ABC Amber. It does not seem to have ePub as an option so I guess txt or RTF will be the next most commonly used for eBook Readers?

The JetBook looks interesting and afforcable.

I think I am getting to an answer. Rather than pick a Reader that uses a wide variety of formats, perhaps the way to go is to find the best Reader and then convert my eBooks to one of the supported formats?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Thanks GhostHawk. I have hundreds of lit books and I have downloaded ABC Amber. It does not seem to have ePub as an option so I guess txt or RTF will be the next most commonly used for eBook Readers?
Calibre does an excellent job of converting LIT files to ePub - the Amber converters aren't terribly good. If the files are DRM-protected, use "ConvertLIT" first to remove the DRM.

Quote:
I think I am getting to an answer. Rather than pick a Reader that uses a wide variety of formats, perhaps the way to go is to find the best Reader and then convert my eBooks to one of the supported formats?
That's certainly my view. ePub is THE standard now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote