Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
twittles
twittles began at the beginning.

Device: none
know a way to provide discount to previous buyers?

Sorry if this was discussed previously and my search missed it, but does Amazon or Apple provide a pricing structure that allows me to offer buyers of the second edition of one of my ebooks a discount if they previously bought the first edition? I'm thinking of self-publishing a "how-to" for something in the technology space, so I expect frequent editions to keep up with a changing world. I'd love to offer buyers of previous editions a significant discount - that seems more fair than forcing buyers to pay the same as someone who didn't buy a previous edition.

Thanks for any advice.
twittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
bandersnatch
bandersnatch began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have the same need as well, but also no joy in finding anything to address this. Anyone out there have any ideas or know of any ebook distributor or publisher doing this?
bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, if past experience is anything, most won't do this as a store wide thing. You typically have to negotiate this on an author by author basis and then sign a contract detailing how the discounts work. I don't know who does it specifically as it's always handled on a case by case basis, so I'd contact the individual stores and ask.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Set yourself up a mailing list for your readers. If you liked this title, please consider joining my mailing list for author appearances, special features, and coupon codes..

Or, a link at the end of your book to a special page for those who bought.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #5
PamelaMary
Guru
PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I gift my novels on Amazon to those who like my work, or tell me so in PM's on the boards. It really pays in the long run. They will usually give a review. It's only a few dollars. You've got a fan.

You can't do it on B&N, unfortunately. But when someone likes my novels it's the greatest reward of all.

Kindle Novels:
The Necromancer - 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/The-Necromance...3&sr=1-1-fkmr0
The Living Image - 99 cents
http://www.amazon.com/The-Living-Ima...4537451&sr=1-1
Midnight Reflections
http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Refle...4537517&sr=1-1
PamelaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Set yourself up a mailing list for your readers. If you liked this title, please consider joining my mailing list for author appearances, special features, and coupon codes..

Or, a link at the end of your book to a special page for those who bought.
Good ideas! I'll have to look into doing that.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote