Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #76
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
New Update.
Looks like they're getting closer and closer!

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #77
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another update.

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
By the sound of it, it's unlikely to be actually available before the end of the year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #79
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
By the sound of it, it's unlikely to be actually available before the end of the year.
I doubt it will be. The original timeline was a pipe dream to begin with, and many of the components they counted on using had to be designed from scratch, which pushed their timeline even further away.
It'll come when it comes, though I was hoping to have it for hunting season this year.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #80
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My money's sunk, and I will hold on as long as necessary. The gadget is too potentially useful not to. (I have 3 on order...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 02:49 AM   #81
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Isn't the processor getting a bit long in the tooth with these delays?
  • 1.0GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 and 1GB of RAM
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 AM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does the GPS, compass and mapping in the Earl compare with a high end Garmin handheld?
Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a better spec than many other devices. Eg the new Onyx T68 has the same CPU, and 512MB RAM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #84
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
How does the GPS, compass and mapping in the Earl compare with a high end Garmin handheld?
Does Garmin have a built in solar recharger, or is water resistant to 2 meters for 30 minutes?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Does Garmin have a built in solar recharger, or is water resistant to 2 meters for 30 minutes?
Not on Thursdays.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #86
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Not for E Ink devices. The processor chosen has an E Ink controller built in. Long battery life with solar charging is a key feature of the device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #87
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It depends on which Garmin you are talking about. This is intended as a hiking/camping device. It has topo maps built in 100K for free and 24K available with the addition of an SD card preloaded with the maps. Garmin makes trail models and are a direct competitor but this device is not using road highway maps out of the box. Of course the hardware is available to the unlocked Android 4.4 OS so any Android apps should also work and may of them have road maps. It is intended to be open with full tablet capability except it has an E Ink screen for long battery life which means it is not a color display. It will be quite usable as an eBook reader.

It has a page in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not for E Ink devices. The processor chosen has an E Ink controller built in. Long battery life with solar charging is a key feature of the device.

Dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It depends on which Garmin you are talking about. This is intended as a hiking/camping device. It has topo maps built in 100K for free and 24K available with the addition of an SD card preloaded with the maps. Garmin makes trail models and are a direct competitor but this device is not using road highway maps out of the box. Of course the hardware is available to the unlocked Android 4.4 OS so any Android apps should also work and may of them have road maps. It is intended to be open with full tablet capability except it has an E Ink screen for long battery life which means it is not a color display. It will be quite usable as an eBook reader.

It has a page in our wiki.

Dale
Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued by this tablet; especially for its navigational features and the ability to carry tide tables, field guides, survival manuals, etc. Since it's Android, I'd be interested to see how well it works with Google Maps, Sky Map, and geocaching apps. I'll check the wiki out; thanks again.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #89
AlbertaCowboy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
My money's sunk, and I will hold on as long as necessary. The gadget is too potentially useful not to. (I have 3 on order...)
I agree. I've been fascinated by the project since before the crowdfunding even completed. I've got two on order, and will hold out as long as I have to. Plus the 30% discount in perpetuity for original backers should come in handy down the road.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued by this tablet; especially for its navigational features and the ability to carry tide tables, field guides, survival manuals, etc. Since it's Android, I'd be interested to see how well it works with Google Maps, Sky Map, and geocaching apps. I'll check the wiki out; thanks again.
I wanted the EARL originally mostly for GPS usage while hunting. Since I backed the project, I've been keeping a very close eye on the development, and have really liked the direction the team took. Not only do I plan on using EARL for GPS, sunrise/sunset tables and radio, but I have a feeling that it may become my primary eReader as well. I know the delays are getting tough to swallow, (over a year now), but I am even more excited about the device now than I was when I originally backed the project.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #90
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Hmmm I'm interested in this for kayaking but it doesn't look like there's a BlueChart app for Android. I'll have to do some research on comparable apps.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps