Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #526
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe we should do a Kickstarter project to earn a statue for Alf. Because of him, I can convert and read epubs on my Kindle.

Seriously. That guy can't get enough praise (assuming he created all the DRM-scripts). Without those scripts/plugins, I probably wouldn't even buy a single ebook at the bigger stores because of my "I don't buy any content that can't be unlocked"-policy.
Let's do it! (the statue idea) Thanks to Alf, I have a Kobo but never use the Kobo ecosystem. I get my books from wherever I choose - which hasn't yet been Kobo - but I read them all on my Kobo WiFi.

Oh, and a statue for the creator of Calibre, too.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #527
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Don't know how that would work, where would you put it?

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; You can donate to both, Kovid through the heart on calibre's main toolbar and
Alf at his Blog site.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-24-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #528
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
One to Amazon, one to B&N and one to Adobe.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #529
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
"Liberating" Kobo books isn't the problem, it's their customer service when a book is faulty or cannot be downloaded. Rots of ruck with that. As I and others have posted, Kobo doesn't seem to understand legitimate complaints or is simply reluctant to resolve them. Fighting three or four months for a refund for a blank book, or one that will not download, is unacceptable.
I had a problem with a book that wouldn't download, but Kobo did give me a credit. I sent them screenshots of the error messages. Still, the back and forth emailing was annoying and went on over a week's time.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #530
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
Oh, and a statue for the creator of Calibre, too.
Of course. Maybe I should donate a few bucks to each of them. I've spend a lot of money on books, and on commercial software (for other purposes than reading). Donating some money would only be fair as these programs and plugins are free. Kovid's Calibre and Alf's De-DRM tools are essential, if you want to make sure that your stuff is organized, readable on any reader, not only now but also in the (not too distant) future. Because of this combination, it doesn't really matter if I decide for a Kindle, a Kobo, or whatever ereader may come along.

I love Calibre; except for its user interface. It's just plain ugly and many of its menu options are WAAAY too long But as we're apt to say: don't judge a book by its cover, so don't judge a program by its looks.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-24-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #531
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Quote:

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; You can donate to both, Kovid through the heart on calibre's main toolbar and
Alf at his Blog site.

Hi Ken, I do not see a donate to link on Alf's Blog. Can you point me to it?
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #532
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
A tale of dashed dreams and hopes .....

Regarding Mr. Alf and his mighty works, I managed, despite my desperate lack of tech ability, to muddle my way through to installing and using same fairly happily (just having attacks of panic every time I had to update versions!).
However, I then was talked into getting Win 8..........

I managed to install Alf's art eventually, but despite trying, wasn't successful in getting it working as it should. I find 8 cumbersome and counter-intuitive - but it's probably just me and my fading grey cells.....
I'm afraid I gave up in frustration - but am now girding me lions (loins as well) for another attempt. A looming hospital incarceration has spurred me on .....

Is there a kindly soul out there vastly more adept than me (not difficult), who has been successful with Alf & Win 8 who could help me out ? Via PM's if need be .................

P.S. Sad to say, you won't be surprised to learn I hate Win 8, despite rumours of some users actually liking it. I don't think my brain was in the right line when it came to dishing out tech no-how and adaptability ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #533
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet54 View Post
Hi Ken, I do not see a donate to link on Alf's Blog. Can you point me to it?
I can't tell if the smiley means you're joking or not. I would be surprized if there was a donation button, since it would create an easily followed money trail to someone breaking DRM for commercial purposes. That seems like a dumb idea to me, but I could be wrong.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #534
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I can't find any there either, I don't know if I am "mis-remembering" from one of the
old sites. But it makes since that he might not be able to have one. I did not intend
to mislead you.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #535
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
Quote:
I can't find any there either, I don't know if I am "mis-remembering" from one of the
old sites. But it makes since that he might not be able to have one. I did not intend
to mislead you.

Luck;
Ken
Yes, I guess it would make sense that there would not be a donate button now that it has been explained. ( I was not joking) No Problem. I do appreciate his work.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #536
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I haven't checked recently but Kobo books are often cheaper than Amazon for me. That turns into always cheaper when you use a coupon which I do whenever I can get my hands on at least 30% off. The only time I buy from Amazon is the rare time that they have a book that I'm interested in their daily deal for $1.99.
Ive had to contact Kobo a few times and they refunded me for one purchase because it wouldn't download or something like that. I'm perfectly happy with them.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #537
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
No way, no how are Kobo books cheaper than they are at Amazon for me.. Except with the coupon. Amazon would just price match anyway.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #538
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
No way, no how are Kobo books cheaper than they are at Amazon for me.. Except with the coupon. Amazon would just price match anyway.
Amazon only price matches within countries that have an Amazon store. When a book is cheaper at Kobo New Zealand for example, Amazon does not price match it. I find that most books I buy are a little cheaper at Kobo than Amazon even before a discount code. After discount code theay are much cheaper at Kobo.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #539
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Amazon only price matches within countries that have an Amazon store. When a book is cheaper at Kobo New Zealand for example, Amazon does not price match it. I find that most books I buy are a little cheaper at Kobo than Amazon even before a discount code. After discount code theay are much cheaper at Kobo.
I did say "for me" in that post. Since I am in the US, I was just speaking for here.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #540
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I did say "for me" in that post. Since I am in the US, I was just speaking for here.
Anyone can buy at Kobo New Zealand :-) Come over for an e-visit and pick up some cheap books!
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote