Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
how to upload books to android kindle with calibre?

Can anyone point me to a recipe for how to upload a book to my android device? I'm formatting my own stuff with html and then converting it with Calibre.

I'm using Calibre 0.8.61. The Kindle app version is 3.6.0.87. I don't know what file format to use (epub doesn't seem to work) or where to put the file (/sdcard/kindle doesn't seem to work).

Thanks
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle doesn't use epub format. You'll have to convert your books to mobi or azw. Then either put them in the kindle folder on your sd card, or email them to your android device's sent to kindle address.
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Just use Calibre to upload the file and maybe specify that the format should be mobi. Worked for med with lit books I had imported to Calibre.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
eskimo49
Addict
eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eskimo49 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Apart from doing what the others have suggested, at the very right hand side of Calibre is a list which says Authors, Formats, (should show Mobi or azw, and possibly some others as well. Path (click to open). Clicking on this will take you to the file where the book has been saved. Clicking on that should open the book in Kindle format (assuming that you saved it in the correct Format and you have Kindle for pc on your pc (can upload it direct from Amazon if you don't have it). I

f you can't find it on Amazon, there is a link to it on my website.
eskimo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Just use Calibre to upload the file and maybe specify that the format should be mobi. Worked for med with lit books I had imported to Calibre.
With modern versions of Android that unfortunately doesn't work, because newer Android devices don't mount as a drive, but as a "portable device", which Calibre can't recognize. You have to use some other method to get your books to the Kindle app, such as copying the files to the "Kindle" folder using Windows Explorer, using the Calibre server, or using Amazon's "Personal Documents" facility.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With modern versions of Android that unfortunately doesn't work, because newer Android devices don't mount as a drive, but as a "portable device", which Calibre can't recognize. You have to use some other method to get your books to the Kindle app, such as copying the files to the "Kindle" folder using Windows Explorer, using the Calibre server, or using Amazon's "Personal Documents" facility.
Aha, I misread and thought it was a Kindle.

For these kind of problems I prefer to use DropBox.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Sofliberty
Sofliberty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For transferring files to Kindle (4NT) I use calibre content server and in the experimental browser I go to "user: pass@mydnsadress.com:8080" (no space after user: )
From there i can browse my whole Calibre Library and download any Mobi format book directly.

Last edited by Sofliberty; 10-21-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: reason :p
Sofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Jennifernew
Jennifernew began at the beginning.

Device: none
1. Look at the collection of Books you have available and choose one you want to read.

2. Attach Kindle to your PC using the special USB power cable it came with.

3. Run the “Calibre” program that lists available books.

4. Highlight the books you want to add to the Kindle in Calibre.

5. With the Kindle attached to the PC, press “Send to Device” to upload your highlighted books.

6. When the jobs are done you can detach the Kindle and start reading.
Jennifernew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not quite true, as I was able to transfer my books to a folder on my Android device usuing the latest version of calibre which takes MTP imto account. When i connected my device, I had to upload my drivers (had to find them manually on the list in Windows), create an expression that would send tge books to the proper folder, and I'm set to go.

I'd post the steps and screenshots but I'm travelling now and don't have access to my desktop. Perhaps when I get home, if someone doesn't do it before me.

Eta: actually, I just remembered the instructions I followed; they are for a rooted Gtablet but work for other android devices as well.

HOW TO INSTALL MTP DRIVERS
Open Device Manager and find the offending TeamDRH MTP device.
Right-Click and choose Update Driver Software
Then choose Browse My Computer for Driver Software
Then click Let Me Pick From a List of Device Drivers on My Computer
Then choose All Devices
When that list populates choose Standard MTP Device followed by MTP USB Device
Click Yes to the warning and VIOLA!

That should enadble your MTP device to be recognized by the latest calibre; I don't think older versions work. After that, I had to go to the device interface plugin, and edit both the Android device interface and MTP device interface. I can't remember what expression I used in those plugins, sorry.

Last edited by citac; 10-27-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: additional information
citac is offline   Reply With Quote