Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #46
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Yes, but he asked what is your first (or native) language?
Well, I thought I could avoid this question..
I am generally not comfortable sharing personal information on public blogs.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #47
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Well, I thought I could avoid this question..
I am generally not comfortable sharing personal information on public blogs.

din
good for you!
It is really none of our business.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #48
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350

The test was interesting. I'm not used to meeting a word I don't know. XD
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #49
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
How many non native English speakers or English as a second language? I would like to know their numbers.

I see lot of folks taking the test, which still I don't know what method uses for that, but most are USA users I think.
I took this test last week and it was around 7'000. English is my second language. I don't use it in my daily life. But I have no problems in communication, watching english movies etc.
When reading non-technical books (with technical no problems, cause their vocabulary is pretty narrow) built in dictionary is the saviour.

The funny thing about communication in english is - it does not matter how good your english is if there are around people whose english is not as good as yours. No-one understands what you mean

But I see I need to read more books to learn new words that I don't need in chitchating
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #50
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
I'm not used to meeting a word I don't know. XD
Ditto. I almost never use the dictionary on my e-reader. Last time I felt challenged was reading Bede's Ecclesiastical History a few weeks ago for history class (I volunteered that for a book review)...some unfamiliar words in there.

I came out at 34,400 and the average for my age (32) was 20,000-35,000

I think I benefited from knowing older/fantasy type words but pulled a blank on some fancier old english type words.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #51
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
36,000 words. 3 or 4k above average for my age range, which is a bit disappointing given that I have been a prodigious reader all my life. Though I guess the responents to this survey will be generally be of a far higher vocab than the population average.

Just curious why they ask for your month of birth in the profiling questions. What relevance could that have?

Great site @pdurrant.

Last edited by orlok; 08-17-2011 at 07:42 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just curious why they ask for your month of birth in the profiling questions. What relevance could that have?
The month of your birth becomes more relevant when your age is in low single figures.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6

I'd say, it's not too bad. Considering my first language isn't English and I always hated languages when I still went to school

Edit:

I looked at the age graph. I'm just below the number "standard" for my age (for native speakers!)

Last edited by Sweetpea; 08-17-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #54
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
Thanks for this nice test!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmls View Post
I took this test last week and it was around 7'000. English is my second language.
I equate this, a bit more than 7k. My mother tongue being French.
As I never went in an English-speaking country until now, it seems I can be "statistically" happy.
Besides, the positive side is I'll improve since I use English more and more for both professional and personal matters.

There are however a few thoughts I would like to share about such a test:
  1. First, it's obviously just a statistical screeing (prediction) of one's vocabulary based on a few sample words.
  2. Then, knowing the meaning of a word (or more precisely, believing we know it) doesn't imply that one is able to use it adequately, nor that one is able to define it accurately. Writing definitions is not an easy job at all.
  3. Last but not least, one's vocabulary includes every signification of a word, which is not accounted for in that test (for the sake of simplicity, of course).
Some people here already pointed out the apparently narrowness of technical English. Taking into account my third point, I would rather say technical English uses a limited number of words, but with lots of different, specific significations, usually unknown outside of the field.
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Yeah,

I agree with Thierry.

I honestly have no issues in communicating (verbally) here in USA or with my wife and written vocabulary does not help on that directly. As a matter of fact, I've been reading English since I was a kid but I actually become a fluid English speaker a few years ago, when I moved here because business purposes.

However, I would like to know how the website really works and I must accept I mostly read computer books, which does not expand my regular English or "street" vocabulary too much.

Few years ago, I found myself talking to my wife and using words like "migrate" and "deploy" on regular day to day conversation. It was really funny, she used to make jokes of that. I don't do that anymore or at least, I'm very careful now because she pointed it to me already.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #56
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Non-native (Dutch as primary language, French as second....)

25.500, but that's probably exagerated because many words in the test are derived from French, Latin, German... languages I also got at school.

Last edited by AnneT; 08-18-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #57
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My vocabulary is fine, it's the grammar that causes me troubles.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #58
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
My vocabulary is fine, it's the grammar that causes me troubles.
Sorry to hear she's poorly. Give her my regards...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #59
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Yeah,

I agree with Thierry.

I honestly have no issues in communicating (verbally) here in USA or with my wife and written vocabulary does not help on that directly. As a matter of fact, I've been reading English since I was a kid but I actually become a fluid English speaker a few years ago, when I moved here because business purposes.

However, I would like to know how the website really works and I must accept I mostly read computer books, which does not expand my regular English or "street" vocabulary too much.

Few years ago, I found myself talking to my wife and using words like "migrate" and "deploy" on regular day to day conversation. It was really funny, she used to make jokes of that. I don't do that anymore or at least, I'm very careful now because she pointed it to me already.
My favorite word is premises.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #60
Thierry.C
Connoisseur
Thierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura aboutThierry.C has a spectacular aura about

Device: none yet
Quote:
However, I would like to know how the website really works
Have a look at the "nitty-gritty" of the website. There are some explanations. Some of which correspond to the three points I mentioned.

Since I've been using digital dictionaries, I've the impression the scope of my vocabulary has extended a lot, but in the same time, I've the impression I tend to rely to much on them and actually to shrink my memory-based vocabulary.
A bit as using a calculator doesn't help to train one's mental arithmetic.
Anyone does have the same impression?
Thierry.C is offline   Reply With Quote