Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Newspaper/Magazine Deals Kindle and Sony

Kindle

60-day free trial of NY Times:

Quote:
Start your subscription to the Kindle edition of the New York Times today, and your free trial period will be extended to two months. This offer ends February 15, 2011. The Kindle Edition of The New York Times contains articles found in the print edition, but will not include some images and tables. Also, some features such as the crossword puzzle, box scores and classifieds are not currently available. For your convenience, issues are automatically delivered wirelessly to your Kindle at 5:00 AM on the weekdays and 5:30 AM on weekends New York City local time.
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-York-T...rd_i=133141011

SONY:

Two free issues of The Nation, 11/2 and 11/9.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/category/newspapers

Free issue of NY Times:

http://ebookstore.sony.com/periodica...00000000192319
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sweet
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Sony has a 14-day free trial for the New York Times.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I'm in Canada. The Kindle link works for me but the NYT trial is 14 days. I don't have a Kindle and it's unclear if I would be able to read it on my iPhone app or desktop.

Sony link works but I didn't attempt to get the free issues; in the past I think the store got me to the checkout before it refuses due to my Canadian-ness.

Kobo has 14 day free trials on all its newspapers and magazines, including NYT, WSJ and many Canadian choices:
http://kobobooks.com/newsstand
(I can only check Canada but I think it also works for US?)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
unfortunately, if you already did the standard 14-day trial in the past they won't let you do the 60. Oh well. I don't really have the time to read the Times every day anyway.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I'm in Canada. The Kindle link works for me but the NYT trial is 14 days. I don't have a Kindle and it's unclear if I would be able to read it on my iPhone app or desktop.
For now, the subscriptions at Amazon don't work on any of the apps, just on Kindle hardware. However, they have announced that that will change and this offer is good thru early Feb; I almost expect them to announce this special in conjunction with the upgraded apps (or upgraded buy button, as I suspect the apps don't need upgrading).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Before I get sucked into a lifetime subscription by One-Click, what do I need to know to CANCEL this subscription? Must I wait the two full months (or 14 days) or what to cancel?

Any info is appreciated.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Before I get sucked into a lifetime subscription by One-Click, what do I need to know to CANCEL this subscription? Must I wait the two full months (or 14 days) or what to cancel?
This is what I just got on the next page after I clicked the 1-click to subscribe button:

Quote:
"Your Kindle Edition Free Trial has started - today's issue is being sent wirelessly to your Kindle. If you enjoy your free trial, do nothing and your subscription will automatically continue at the regular monthly price.
You may cancel your subscription at any time by visiting Manage Your Kindle Subscriptions."

Subscription Details
Subscription Name: The New York Times
Start Date: Today
Deliver To: jj2me's Kindle
Free Trial Length: 60-day free trial
1st Billing Date: January 4, 2011
Billing Amount: $19.99
Term: Monthly
Billing method: MasterCard-xxxx
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Thanks very much for the subscription cancellation info. Much appreciated.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo now has a one-month free trial of the NY Times:

http://www.kobobooks.com/subscriptio...VftKLqHRA.html

Last edited by NightBird; 11-04-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Just for the record, the Amazon Kindle 60 day trial IS available in Canada. As much as I like the Kobo, it's pointless without daily content being driven directly to the device. So, this is a great offer for Kindle owners; for Kobo owners, not so much.

It still begs the question of why bother to try to read the New York Times on a 6" screen when it's entirely free over the web in a much more browsable reading experience.

BTW, the link from Nightbird for Kobo is a 31 day trial for me in Canada.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #12
NightBird
Wizard

Thanks for noticing that - I was still thinking about the Kindle deal.

Do you mean it doesn't work on your reader or that you have to download it from the desktop and don't get it directly? I'm not really familiar with the Kobo reader but it sounds like it is supposed to work on it:

Quote:
Now you can read newspapers and magazines on your Kobo Wireless eReader, or Apple iPhone or iPad. Get started with free trial subscriptions to many popular titles and see how easy it is to go digital with your morning newspaper or favourite monthly magazine.
Quote:
Automatically delivered to your iPad, iPhone or Kobo eReader.
Well, as for web version free vs paying for the reader version I think it's like anything else - a matter of convenience. You can take it with you and read it wherever or whenever you want and not to have to sit at your computer and read it. lol

Last edited by NightBird; 11-04-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes ... perhaps with the new Kobo Wifi edition it automatically downloads ... that is awesome. Unfortunately, almost all Kobo owners have the non-WiFi Kobo since the wifi version was only just released.

I don't want to push the point too hard ... but reading a newspaper like the New York Times on a 6" screen is very tough even with the best index possible. It's pretty much a non-starter -- and that's even if it is delivered automatically. Kobo is really good at sequential long-form content. That is NOT how the NY Times is consumed.

It might work well with The Atlantic - a few long articles. Alas, The Atlantic isn't sold in Canada in ereader form.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #14
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Yes ... perhaps with the new Kobo Wifi edition it automatically downloads ... that is awesome. Unfortunately, almost all Kobo owners have the non-WiFi Kobo since the wifi version was only just released
Ahhh - I see.

I think the reader version is probably modified in some way to fit the screen. This is a good time for people who are interested to try it out and just see how they like it.