Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #46
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I got the 3.4 update over wifi last night and no problems here. My KK seems to be working exactly the same as always - in fact if they hadn't sent me a message on the kindle, I wouldn't have known there was any change at all!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #47
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
Hi,

I am in Germany and my Kindle 3 received the update automatically via Wifi. However, it does not install correctly - mostly likely because I have Doukan lite installed which co-launches during restart.
Is it already clear that hacks and Doukan will be usable after the update?

Thanks for any infos

George
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #48
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by George's Kindle View Post
Hi,

I am in Germany and my Kindle 3 received the update automatically via Wifi. However, it does not install correctly - mostly likely because I have Doukan lite installed which co-launches during restart.
Is it already clear that hacks and Doukan will be usable after the update?

Thanks for any infos

George
I have done it a few weeks ago, and applied the latest update of Duokan (~2 weeks ago) and works fine. I have also installed 'kite' to run the muPDF application and there are no problems. Duokan is not perfect and occasional re-boots may take place, but is a small price to pay for what we get.
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #49
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
I have done it a few weeks ago, and applied the latest update of Duokan (~2 weeks ago) and works fine. I have also installed 'kite' to run the muPDF application and there are no problems. Duokan is not perfect and occasional re-boots may take place, but is a small price to pay for what we get.
That sounds reassuring. Maybe I should update - but brings the update really any valuable improvements?
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #50
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
These are the improvements:
Quote:
  • Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
  • Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
  • Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts and more book styling options.
  • Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you to read a comic book panel by panel).
  • Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle Text Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
  • Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening without losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #51
deleyd
deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
My kindle keyboard was suddenly updated automatically, and now NOT ALL IMAGES DISPLAY PROPERLY.

Images using the MobiPocket image tag format <src="..." hisrc="..." ... /> don't display at all. They still display in Kindle Previewer set to "Kindle", but not on the real Kindle Keyboard anymore.
deleyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 AM   #52
leroy hacker
leroy hacker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Short version: Is there any way I can use custom fonts with KF8 files?

In full: Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question: I recently got 3.4 on my Kindle 3, and today I tried out my first KF8 file (html -> epub via sigil and epub -> AZW3 via calibre). I've been using this trick: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99355

to use a custom font, and on 3.4 the custom font continued working in all of my old files, but in this KF8 file the default Kindle font is showing up instead. The file itself does not have any embedded font or styling commanding that a certain font be used. Is there any way I can make that font trick work with KF8 files?

Thanks.
leroy hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #53
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy hacker View Post
Short version: Is there any way I can use custom fonts with KF8 files?.
Yes, but you'll need to embed fonts in the .epub file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy hacker View Post
Is there any way I can make that font trick work with KF8 files?
AFAIK, NiLuJe's font hack only worked with non-KF8 files and I'm not sure whether it works with the 3.4 firmware at all.

However, you can embed fonts in the ePub with Sigil or Calibre.
(If you use Sigil, make sure to prefix the font path by "../Fonts/". For example, src: url(../Fonts/MyFont.ttf);)

You may want to ask font hack questions in the Developer's forum and mobi/KF8 questions in the Mobi forum.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #54
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I don't use wi-fi as I do not want the update. I do not think the extra font will be an improvement.

I really do not like their font, if it is more crisp - it would not matter, it is a question of design, I have also become opposed with styles, to me fonts are styles, it is not about crispiness. I have in fact converted many PDF books to 1080P, upscaled through a media player.

So I will let this update go pass me!

Last edited by peter12345; 11-16-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: added an extra paragraph
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The latest versions of the Fonts Hack do support tweaking the fonts in KF8 files .

But, before you embark on that path, you might want to check the styling of your book, there's a 'feature' (hint: it worked fine on older KF8 renderer (Touch)) where some font* styling directives are followed, even when they're stupid, preventing the Kindle from switching fonts, and falling back to the default system sans/sans-serif/mono families. (A quick search here & in the mobi forum might reveal more details about that, I never bothered to try to fix it myself, but I do have several books displaying this behavior ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #56
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
I got the 3.4 update over wifi last night and no problems here. My KK seems to be working exactly the same as always - in fact if they hadn't sent me a message on the kindle, I wouldn't have known there was any change at all!
Same with me. I can't really tell a difference on my Kindle Keyboard.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #57
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
One negative difference (can't see anything else different): If, when reading a German book, I put the cursor next to a German word the dictionary recognizes, it activates the Collins German English dictionary as before but previously I could actually highlight a word that wasn't actually listed in the dictionary, press Space and then right click on the navigator to get to dictionary so I could look for similar entries. Since the update, the dictionary it opens is my Collins English to German dictionary or my Oxford English dictionary, instead of the Collins German to English dictionary which I've set as my Primary Dictionary. The same books worked fine before the update.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #58
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
Since the update, the dictionary it opens is my Collins English to German dictionary or my Oxford English dictionary, instead of the Collins German to English dictionary which I've set as my Primary Dictionary. The same books worked fine before the update.
Either your books or dictionary have their metadata set incorrectly. If from Amazon, I'd recommend trying to delete and redownload to see if they've been updated.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #59
leroy hacker
leroy hacker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The latest versions of the Fonts Hack do support tweaking the fonts in KF8 files .
Are you talking about the hack described here?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Am I right in understanding that there's no way to accomplish what I want without modifying the firmware? I liked that the old trick I used just required modifying a text file and copying the font files into the right place.

Quote:
But, before you embark on that path, you might want to check the styling of your book, there's a 'feature' (hint: it worked fine on older KF8 renderer (Touch)) where some font* styling directives are followed, even when they're stupid, preventing the Kindle from switching fonts, and falling back to the default system sans/sans-serif/mono families. (A quick search here & in the mobi forum might reveal more details about that, I never bothered to try to fix it myself, but I do have several books displaying this behavior ).
That shouldn't be the issue in the books I've tested so far as I customized the styling for those and didn't include any font directions. The only way it could have happened is if calibre added font stylings when converting from epub to azw3.
leroy hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@leroy hacker: Nope, no way to tweak the default fonts in the KF8 renderer without a full font hack on the K3.
(Besides always using embedded fonts like Doitsu proposed ;-)).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote