Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #271
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
See posts 263->265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Well bu**er me, I just went through several of the previous reading software that I'd had installed (on my tablet) and none of them do it any longer.

<snip />

I do know Calibre' viewer *used* to do it, but hasn't for several weeks (I think since the paged mode was introduced) or maybe earlier.
Found calibre' viewer still does it, so other SW readers may as well - as I think test files used in previous tests all had non-SVG covers.

In convert options -> epub settings, SVG cover (I also had preserve AR) and in viewer use 'old' scroll mode.

If I then edit the epub' cover (titlepage.xhtml) and change so it's
Code:
height="98%"
then displays correctly with no small scrolling.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #272
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Perkin - I tend to defer to Kovid's calibre logic in these situations as a starting point anyways. This plugin does the same as calibre does as far as height is concerned, which is for non SVG covers to specifically code it at 100%. Perhaps Kovid may have some thoughts as to why it is at that setting in calibre - clearly if he thinks it is worthwhile changing in calibre I will certainly follow suit with this plugin.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #273
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you dont set it to 100% then in the viewer's paged mode, the top and bottom margins will not be the same for the cover page. And of course the same will apply to any other viewer whose paged mode works the same as calibre's viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #274
MizSuz
Connoisseur
MizSuz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura, Android w/CoolReader
Removing Java - Use Mod ePub Plug-In?

Hello folks! I hope I'm posting this on the right place. I'm trying to clean up a bunch of older books and I'm coming across a lot of defunct java in the books, no doubt from previous conversion. Find/ Replace in calibre's conversion doesn't even recognize the code. Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

Code:
<p class="calibre1">Color-- <a href="javascript:BGColor('white')" class="calibre2">-1-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('lightgrey')" class="calibre2">-2-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('silver')" class="calibre2">-3- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('beige')" class="calibre2">-4- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('antiquewhite')" class="calibre2">-5- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('navajowhite')" class="calibre2">-6-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('wheat')" class="calibre2">-7-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('burlywood')" class="calibre2">-8- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('tan')" class="calibre2">-9-  </a></p>
It sure makes the books ugly and serves no purpose, but when I try to copy it for find/ replace calibre doesn't see it. It can find no instance of it, doesn't do anything with it, etc.

As often as I have seen this stuff in books, I'm thinking it's probably addressed somewhere here and I've missed it. I highly doubt I'm the first person to see this.

The reason I'm posting here is because I see that the Modify ePub plug-in here removes java artifacts and I was wondering if this is the right way to handle it. Am I in the right place? My experience with plug ins in calibre is pretty much non-existent.

Thanks for your trouble.

Suz
MizSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #275
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizSuz View Post
Hello folks! I hope I'm posting this on the right place. I'm trying to clean up a bunch of older books and I'm coming across a lot of defunct java in the books, no doubt from previous conversion. Find/ Replace in calibre's conversion doesn't even recognize the code. Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

Code:
<p class="calibre1">Color-- <a href="javascript:BGColor('white')" class="calibre2">-1-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('lightgrey')" class="calibre2">-2-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('silver')" class="calibre2">-3- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('beige')" class="calibre2">-4- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('antiquewhite')" class="calibre2">-5- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('navajowhite')" class="calibre2">-6-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('wheat')" class="calibre2">-7-</a> <a href="javascript:BGColor('burlywood')" class="calibre2">-8- </a><a href="javascript:BGColor('tan')" class="calibre2">-9-  </a></p>
It sure makes the books ugly and serves no purpose, but when I try to copy it for find/ replace calibre doesn't see it. It can find no instance of it, doesn't do anything with it, etc.

As often as I have seen this stuff in books, I'm thinking it's probably addressed somewhere here and I've missed it. I highly doubt I'm the first person to see this.

The reason I'm posting here is because I see that the Modify ePub plug-in here removes java artifacts and I was wondering if this is the right way to handle it. Am I in the right place? My experience with plug ins in calibre is pretty much non-existent.

Thanks for your trouble.

Suz
I don't think that (within a paragraphvs body) was the intent of the PI.

I use Sigil (and REGEX) when I need that level of refined cleanup.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #276
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I don't think that (within a paragraphvs body) was the intent of the PI.

I use Sigil (and REGEX) when I need that level of refined cleanup.
Ahhh! I have actually been using calibre for several years and have avoided learning Sigil. I kind of considered it a coup, although after all the MS Word code clean up I've had to do of late I'm thinking my Word RTF work-around was probably a big mistake.

I actually see that stuff at the beginning of the books. Usually between the cover and title page, TOC (usually defunct), or first chapter. I'm thinking that it was placed at the front of the book in whatever conversion process it was previously put through and then calibre or some other conversion process slapped a cover on it in front of that. But that java is always at the beginning of the book, and calibre can never recognize it to clean it off.

Ok. I will mark it for further formatting. Thanks for saving me some time installing a plug in, dealing with a learning curve, and then being frustrated when it didn't work!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #277
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so I am sure we are on the same page

I believe the PI will clean Java before the <body> tag, but not after.

BTW This kind Editing (in Code View) with Sigil is easy if you know REGEX
Sigil 6 (now in beta) is really, really
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #278
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Just so I am sure we are on the same page

I believe the PI will clean Java before the <body> tag, but not after.

BTW This kind Editing (in Code View) with Sigil is easy if you know REGEX
Sigil 6 (now in beta) is really, really
I'll go back and have a look at the code of the ones I've marked for more formatting to make sure the java is before the body tag. Thanks for that! This PI might work, that's good news!

I'm not even sure what the difference between Sigil and REGEX Sigil is. I can pick up tags fairly quickly, and although I generally don't memorize stuff if I can find a cheat sheet I can often muddle my way through. Would the learning curve be significant and would I need more than an old Thinkpad with a 1.6ghz processor and 1.24gig of RAM (winxp sp3)?

I have hundreds, possibly a thousand or more, of books to do and there is no end in sight to new ones coming. Much of what I end up with are old books that started life as scans and have been through many incarnations. I can see LIT, MSWORD, AMBERLIT, PDF in their code history, often all in one book. It's too much for calibre to do automated and I'm pretty sick of trying to edit a line at a time manually in calibre, particularly when it's the excessive garbage code that's causing calibre to not be able to do what it needs to do.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE calibre and sing about it to everyone, but it can't handle a lot of this stuff (or if it can I haven't figured out how yet).

I may try this PI anyway, but if I'm going to end up installing and learning Sigil I may hold off on the PI.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #279
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I'll go back and have a look at the code of the ones I've marked for more formatting to make sure the java is before the body tag. Thanks for that! This PI might work, that's good news!

I'm not even sure what the difference between Sigil and REGEX Sigil is. I can pick up tags fairly quickly, and although I generally don't memorize stuff if I can find a cheat sheet I can often muddle my way through. Would the learning curve be significant and would I need more than an old Thinkpad with a 1.6ghz processor and 1.24gig of RAM (winxp sp3)?

I may try this PI anyway, but if I'm going to end up installing and learning Sigil I may hold off on the PI.

Decisions, decisions.
There is no REGEX Sigil. One of the search engines inside is (pcre)REGEX

XP SP3 is not an issue. 1.24G RAM is only an issue if you leave lots of other stuff open
1.6 GHz just means slower (you really will like Sigil 6's speed improvements)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #280
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
There is no REGEX Sigil. One of the search engines inside is (pcre)REGEX

XP SP3 is not an issue. 1.24G RAM is only an issue if you leave lots of other stuff open
1.6 GHz just means slower (you really will like Sigil 6's speed improvements)
REGEX = Regular Expressions. DUH

I don't see Sigil 6, or even 5.9, for download anywhere. I saw on the Sigil forum you mentioned they took the beta down to tweak but that was a month or more ago. Is it still unavailable? Should I just find 5.3 and use it or go for 5.9/ 6 since I'm learning it from scratch anyway?

Last edited by MizSuz; 09-28-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: ETA: Typos
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #281
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
REGEX = Regular Expressions. DUH

I don't see Sigil 6, or even 5.9, for download anywhere. I saw on the Sigil forum you mentioned they took the beta down to tweak but that was a month or more ago. Is it still unavailable? Should I just find 5.3 and use it or go for 5.9/ 6 since I'm learning it from scratch anyway?
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list

I have been using 0.5.905 (x64) for a few days, I haven't had problems with it at all. For a beta it seems quite reliable. It's also an immense improvement feature- and usability-wise over 0.5.3
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #282
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downloads/list

I have been using 0.5.905 (x64) for a few days, I haven't had any issues. On the contrary it's an immense improvement feature- and usability-wise over 0.5.3
WOOT! Thank you!

Here I go, off the cliff...
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #283
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@theducks - you are merciless at times with your acronyms . Explaining what REGEX is by substituting it with "pcre"... lol

@MiSuz - As theducks says this Modify ePub plugin will only strip two things when it comes to javascript: actual .js javascript files contained in the epub, and any inline <script> blocks that are javascript. I have never seen an html file abuse javascript like the example you gave, that is horrible.

The Modify ePub plugin has other uses for helping automate cleaning things up, inserting/replacing covers etc. But if your sources are not ePub to begin with you will be doing a calibre conversion as your first step, which negates the purpose of probably 75% of this plugin.

You might find it handy to install the Open With plugin to most quickly launch Sigil with the tap of a key from calibre for an ePub you want to edit.

And as mentioned please do use the latest Sigil 0.5.9 beta version rather than the 0.5.3 version, the beta is infinitely more powerful and light years more stable. We intend to have the next Sigil beta iteration out extremely soon (as in a few days) which should speed some important things up massively and polish some areas to really show off the massive effort gone into the 0.6 release...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #284
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
WOOT! Thank you!

Here I go, off the cliff...
Since we're way off topic anyway, I'd like to point you to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191617. There is a discussion of the new features, and you'll pick up some tips that might not have made it to the user guide yet.

And now, back to our regular schedule
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #285
MizSuz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@theducks - you are merciless at times with your acronyms . Explaining what REGEX is by substituting it with "pcre"... lol
You'll get no complaints from me about this! I'm just so very tickled to have such great help!

Quote:
@MiSuz - ...I have never seen an html file abuse javascript like the example you gave, that is horrible.
I'm pretty sure it's the result of very old LIT file conversions of what used to be the TOC, and perhaps some of the original metadata. These file inevitably have href coding for "Top," "Next," and "Previous" buttons at the start of every chapter. That's pretty typical of old LIT files. Compound that with a run through MSWord and its attempt to make those hrefs point to someone's hard drive in their MyDocuments folder and it makes for heinous soup wrapped around every chapter heading, too.

Quote:
You might find it handy to install the Open With plugin to most quickly launch Sigil with the tap of a key from calibre for an ePub you want to edit.
SWEET! I may do just that. Thank you!

Quote:
And as mentioned please do use the latest Sigil 0.5.9 beta version rather than the 0.5.3 version, the beta is infinitely more powerful and light years more stable. We intend to have the next Sigil beta iteration out extremely soon (as in a few days) which should speed some important things up massively and polish some areas to really show off the massive effort gone into the 0.6 release...
As a matter of fact I just installed it and opened an ePub to click around and play while I ignore the documentation I have open on another browser tab. I'll knuckle down with it in a minute and run through the tutorials but I have to tell you that my initial reaction, before I've even seen what it can do, is "Oh yeah! Why did I wait to install this?"

I've also already bookmarked the Sigil forums (especially the sticky thread with helpful expressions!) I'll try not to be too much of a pain over there while I deal with my learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
Since we're way off topic anyway, I'd like to point you to this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191617. There is a discussion of the new features, and you'll pick up some tips that might not have made it to the user guide yet.

And now, back to our regular schedule
Thanks! I've bookmarked it and am sure to be over there after I've gotten my feet wet.

Thanks to you all for allowing me to hijack the thread a bit, but also for giving me some direction and expounding on the plug-ins, too (not entirely off topic!)

Suz

Tags
modify epub