Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll third Voyage and second Candida. They sound interesting and similar to Hamlet53, they are the two I haven't seen before.

Nominations so far:

Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet [3]
The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams [4]
Voyage by Tom Stoppard [3]
Candida by George Bernard Shaw [2]
Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard [3]

There is about a day and a half left for nominations.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #17
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll use my last nomination to third Candida. I like Shaw because he always has a lateral take on his subjects and this play sounds very interesting.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 09-26-2011 at 06:04 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I like Shaw because he always has a lateral take on his subjects
Me, too!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
October Nominations Results

*** NOMINATION RESULTS FOR THE OCTOBER BOOK CHOICE ***

Choices are shown in Vote order first then alphabetically.

NOTE: Nomination will continue until 27 SEPTEMBER or when five books receives five votes each.

Nominations . . . . . Book Title / Author

(5) . . . . . . . . . . . Candida by George Bernard Shaw
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
(4) . . . . . . . . . . . Peer Gynt by Isben
(4) . . . . . . . . . . . Voyage (Coast of Utopia Trilogy) by Tom Stoppard
(3) . . . . . . . . . . . Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet

Last edited by Vandy; 09-27-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
I'll third Candida.
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
I will use my first nomination to fifth The Glass Menagerie.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
I will second Glengarry Glenn Ross.

I nominate the first play in Tom Stoppard's Coast of Utopia trilogy, Voyage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coast_of_Utopia

The Coast of Utopia trilogy is about the philosophical debates in prerevolutionary Russia between 1833 and 1866.

The ebook is available from Kobo and Amazon for $7.99.
I'm not seeing it at kobo, and I only see the PDF at Amazon. Is it available in EPub in the US?

[Edit] I was referring to Glengarry Glenn Ross. Is Glengarry Glenn Ross available as an EPub?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #23
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
uh, back from catching up with work after the holidays - probably it is too late for a fresh nomination, but I will try nonetheless: so my first nomination is Ibsen's Peer Gynt - here is the blurb from Amazon:

"Peer Gynt was Ibsen's last work to use poetry as a medium of dramatic expression, and the poetry is brilliantly appropriate to the imaginative swings between Scandinavian oral folk traditions, the Morrocan coast, the Sahara Desert, and the absurdist images of the Cairo madhouse. This translation is taken from the acclaimed Oxford Ibsen. John McFarlane is Emeritus Professor of European Literature at the University of East Anglia, and General Editor of the Oxford Ibsen. "
There are various free versions available, e.g. here.

As for my other two nominations, I'll fifth "Candida" and I will fourth "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead".
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Second Peer Gynt.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I will fourth Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I will also vote for Candida. It's been on my TBR list for awhile. I will also vote for The Glass Menagerie.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Peer Gynt looks very interesting, but I've already used all my nominations.

Bookworm_Girl, both Candida and The Glass Menagerie are already fully nominated so you still have all three nominations left to use.

Nominations through post #29:

Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet [3]
The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams [5]
Voyage by Tom Stoppard [3]
Candida by George Bernard Shaw [5]
Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard [5]

Peer Gynt by Henrik Ibsen [4]

Last edited by sun surfer; 09-27-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #28
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I'll third Peer Gynt with my last nomination.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:29 PM   #29
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
I'll fourth Peer Gynt
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations will close in about six hours.

Tags
book club, literary, literature, nominations, plays