Totally happy it works 100% of the time. 12 33.33%
I find it works good but is stall lacking in needed features. 10 27.78%
I find it a bit buggy and think it needs more work 10 27.78%
I still want it to have a soft icream option for those hot summer day. 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Kobo Touch Firmware 1.9.5 issues

Ok as we move forward I notice that some issues are croping up that were not mentioned in prior Firmware. So I was wondering if we could discuss those issues and see how they occur. Maybe we can figure out what is being done to cause for instance the touch to freeze. Or the data base to corrupt or any other issue you have? Most notably WIFI

Any thoughts guys?

Regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
n3rrd
n3rrd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm very happy with 1.9.5. It's certainly not perfect, and lacks a few features that I would love to see, but it's a marked improvement over 1.9.4 and has me looking forward to future updates.
n3rrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
actiss
actiss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I voted it as a bit buggy. The issue with bold and italics on sideloaded epubs is a pretty significant bug in my opinion. From what I understand it will be fixed in the next version though.

Other than that this release has been fantastic, especially the ability for footnotes for sideloaded epubs. I know that is a feature that I sorely missed back on my Kobo wifi.

To the Kobo developers: keep up the great work!
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I voted the last option only I'm lactose intolerant so that won't work
Actually I could almost say option #1, I'm loving the new update and have had no problems. But I am currently not reading much in regular epub, mostly kepub so everything works fine there.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by actiss View Post
I voted it as a bit buggy. The issue with bold and italics on sideloaded epubs is a pretty significant bug in my opinion. From what I understand it will be fixed in the next version though.

Other than that this release has been fantastic, especially the ability for footnotes for sideloaded epubs. I know that is a feature that I sorely missed back on my Kobo wifi.

To the Kobo developers: keep up the great work!
What bug is this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Wifi Observations

I went to a friends house who had a Literati -- Had to setup WiFi -- Noted that the best security I could get running for Literati was WPA Personal with AES. Tried my touch there & instant (nearly) connection -- Where at home I use WPA/WPA2 Mixed Personal and have occasional issues. I did not try it at any distance from the modem so not exactly a big sample here. Both use pretty long pass phrases with special characters, Mixed case etc. (20 characters plus).

The other issue is a bit strange on WiFi in that sometimes (10%??) the initial scan does not see the home network even though it is the strongest signal out there and often will take 2 or 3 rescans. It is a bit hard for user community to diagnose this as so many variables.

Last edited by Byron4120; 06-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
actiss
actiss began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What bug is this?
It's a bug introduced by the newest firmware where words in italic and bold show up as if they weren't italiczed or bolded.

So this: Why hello there!
Looks like this: Why hello there!

Might not seem like a big deal but it can make a big difference in context depending on what you're reading.
actiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actiss View Post
It's a bug introduced by the newest firmware where words in italic and bold show up as if they weren't italiczed or bolded.

So this: Why hello there!
Looks like this: Why hello there!

Might not seem like a big deal but it can make a big difference in context depending on what you're reading.
Very reasonable note. But is the bug introduced via side loaded content from a dif progrram? such as calibre?

regards

jack
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron4120 View Post
I went to a friends house who had a Literati -- Had to setup WiFi -- Noted that the best security I could get running for Literati was WPA Personal with AES. Tried my touch there & instant (nearly) connection -- Where at home I use WPA/WPA2 Mixed Personal and have occasional issues. I did not try it at any distance from the modem so not exactly a big sample here. Both use pretty long pass phrases with special characters, Mixed case etc. (20 characters plus).

The other issue is a bit strange on WiFi in that sometimes (10%??) the initial scan does not see the home network even though it is the strongest signal out there and often will take 2 or 3 rescans. It is a bit hard for user community to diagnose this as so many variables.

Other desires have to do with loading custom CSS for getting that just right appearance from sideloaded books. Also 1) libraries or some organizational help 2) Series numbers on books 3) Covers or mini titles displayed for books without them so you'll have an idea 4) Web access using PC access to the store align with with desktop apps & Touch store 5) Mobi access that really works & starts up quickly! - Same for other common formats (I'm selfish here as ePUB is great & Calibre etc. do an adequate conversion) - 6) And I guess for the store a few more access controls to whittle down a more general query to a more specific one. 7) SD cards - I've not had the best of luck here -- I guess a good thing might be able to have a simple content list & ability to move to main memory for files.

I've had a few issues with the IR (fat fingers mostly) - But found for me a swipe is better than a touch & keypad work works best with a flat tipped pencil eraser. There also appears to possibly have a non-quick wake-up or something going on as swipes or touches do not process & followed with a repeat life is good (to me seems more often associated with an upcoming screen reflash than other times). All this said I find the Koobo team amazing & responsive. And I'm on my touch nearly constantly (Wife's out of town ) Best father's day gift from me to me ever!!

Byron
Byron, I think you have a very valid observation here. I tried to hook my touch up to my iphone in tether mode and it would not even find it. I would like a button that allowed us to scan for available networks, I think that might solve some issues.

regards

jack
Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I voted the last option only I'm lactose intolerant so that won't work
Actually I could almost say option #1, I'm loving the new update and have had no problems. But I am currently not reading much in regular epub, mostly kepub so everything works fine there.
My autoshop teacher always went on about a soft icecream machine being missing in the car...

So I thought it would be nice to add giggle to the pol

glad you enjoyed.

regards

jack
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Any thoughts guys?
Why start a new thread when a Kobo Touch 1.9.5 Firmware thread already exists?

Couldn't we just add to that thread to keep all the ideas in one location?

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Why start a new thread when a Kobo Touch 1.9.5 Firmware thread already exists?

Couldn't we just add to that thread to keep all the ideas in one location?

ltr
No this is about 1.9.5 issues.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
alanna3h
alanna3h began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
My kobo is also shutting off when the battery level is half full. Aslo when it tells me to charge it and I plug it in the screen goes blank and my computer does not register anything being connected. I plug it into a few different UBS ports and flick the power button for a while and eventually it turns back on and connects but this it quite annoying.
alanna3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
The only thing I noticed about the new firmware update was that when you are in the font menu changing line spacing and allignment you get some ghosting effects with the e-ink, when you play with some options for about 40 seconds, the screen gets a ghosted e-ink splash all over it until you exit the settings/font menu.
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
The only thing I noticed about the new firmware update was that when you are in the font menu changing line spacing and allignment you get some ghosting effects with the e-ink, when you play with some options for about 40 seconds, the screen gets a ghosted e-ink splash all over it until you exit the settings/font menu.
Hmm, I have never experianced that. Mind you the first thing I did do was change my refresh to 2 pages. At least for me. And I have played wtih the spacing and fonts to ensure that I get the darkest and best font for reading with.

regards

jack