Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Epub or BBeB?

If one has a choice, which should they use?

Thanks.

Added: For those already with a Sony device.

Last edited by Fbone; 11-21-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
More devices support EPUB
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I like lrf better than epub because it recalculates page numbers for each font size-- meaning a "page" as "one full screen of text." Epub keeps the same number of pages no matter what font size, and you end up with more than one screen of text per page (or even more than one page per screen of text) when you adjust font sizes.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
ePub for inter-compatibility
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Epub keeps the same number of pages no matter what font size, and you end up with more than one screen of text per page (or even more than one page per screen of text) when you adjust font sizes.
I think of the epub page numbering to be more equivalent to what they would be if reading a dead tree book.

A 300 page epub = a 300 page paperback = 600 page lrf. Of course, there is no standard page size in dead tree format but that is the way I think of it in my epubs.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
LRF without a shadow of doubt.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I used to prefer LRF because it supports full justification and header and footer, but now I am more on the side of ePub.

LRF is an output format. Once you make/get it, no further editing is possible, unless you convert back to something else, losing all formatting in the process. In the past, for each book I made, I used to keep the original text, plus a BookDesigner html0 version, plus the LRF. That is, 3 versions of each book, in case I wanted to go back and edit something.

OTOH, ePubs can be easily edited with a text editor or (better) with Sigil. It is Ok to keep the ePub version and throw away everything else.

Although LRF supports font embedding to some extent, page turning is noticeably slower, at least in my 505. With ePub you can use font embedding without performance loss. I discovered that using the font I like is more important than header/footer and full justification.

Besides, ePub is more future-proof than LRF.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I terribly miss footers in ePub
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Well, I find it incredible that such things as headers, footers and footnotes were overlooked in the standard.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Font embedding to some extent, page turning is noticeably slower, at least in my 505.
On my 300, Epub page turns are slower than just about anything other than image-based files-- LRFs are definitely faster.

On my 350, every file type is lightning fast (and Epubs are now fully justified.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I still like lrf on my sony 505. I just really like justification, and headers. It makes what I read look like a book.

If I end up getting a 350/650 which support justification, the days of lrf for me will be done. Fortunately, I keep both lrf and epub of all my books so it's no hassle for me.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
lrf formatting on the 600 is very nice. Epubs are also very nice, and I don't really care. Epub is more mass-market.

Calibre, though, can easily solve any compatibility issues you might have in the future (epub->mobi for kindle, for instance) and, really, whichever one you prefer in terms of the way the Sony handles the formatting is the right one for you!
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
LRF without a shadow of doubt.
Since doubt doesn't actually have a shadow we'll go with ePub since it's actually a better format and works better then LRF. With the new Reader Library or Calibre, when you put LRF on the Reader, the Reader has to calculate the pages for every font size. ePub is also way way faster when you have embedded fonts. I'm not sure how fast LRF with embedded fonts would be on the newer faster Readers. But it probably is still slower then then ePub.

LRF.. if you ever get a device that reads eBooks and it's not from Sony, LRF will need to be converted. Most Readers/computer/tablets/iPhone/Android can handle ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I am actually happy not to have headers and foots. All they did was take up space on the screen that I much preferred for the text of the book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
LRF.. if you ever get a device that reads eBooks and it's not from Sony, LRF will need to be converted. Most Readers/computer/tablets/iPhone/Android can handle ePub.
Excluding the Kindle, but ePub converts to mobi via Calibre without any problems.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote