Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #31
clayw1pi
Enthusiast
clayw1pi is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle For PC
Quote:
3. Need for it to recognize cbr or cbz files so people can use it to read comics.
Use "Caliber" to convert to the CBR format.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ersion-to-from
clayw1pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #32
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Update: Concerning my complaint about apostrophized words seems only to apply to de-DRM'd epubs, and only when using the "Microsoft YaHei" font.

Weird huh?

But it's a shame since that font is the only one that seems to be in bold.

I hope Augen does come out with an update to their firmware, because I am growing rather fond of The Book. It fits what I am looking for in a portable reader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 AM   #33
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayw1pi View Post
Use "Caliber" to convert to the CBR format.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ersion-to-from
I know how to make a cbr, the problem is when you put one on the TB it says its an unknown format. And a cbr is MUCH handier than a bunch of jpgs when reading a comicbook.

Last edited by Highroller; 07-22-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #34
vnzjunk
vnzjunk began at the beginning.

Device: Augen The Book
1. I have found that the power switch does indeed turn off the device, and returns directly to the page you were reading when the TB is turned back on. The problem is that it does so inconsistently - sometimes one press works, sometimes multiple presses are needed, sometimes you have to press and hold, and sometimes it just doesn't work! Fixing this simple thing would go a long way towards making the TB more usable.

I originally intended to return the TB to K-Mart, but I (wisely) decided to work with it for a few days, and I changed my mind. There's a lot to like about the TB and it can get better if Augen listens to its users.[/QUOTE
]

I have found with my Book that the press and hold for a couple of seconds seems to turn on/off the unit 100% of the time. Cumbersome but it does the trick. There appear to be several quirks with the Book which with a better written user manual mite be better understood. For example as noted, a joystick that works as enter in SOME cases. When? Most of us do not know because we were not told in the manual. Menue's where some options do not seem very intuitive and where some items seem buried causing one to have to go searching for them.

All in all a good budget reader with many functions in my estimation. Those that can afford the $189 class units will probably still go that route. For those where the extra savings of $100 is paramount I expect they will be more or less happy with the Book........quirks and all.

Enjoy!
vnzjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #35
Barnone
Barnone began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I picked one up at Kmart the other day for $89.95 plus tax and took it back after two days of use. Mine was missing the USB cable and the free ebooks. It is too slow for net use.
Well after thinking some more and reading the reviews here and on other sites I went back to Kmart and bought another Augen for $89.95.
This one had the free books and the USB cable.
It seems to be just fine for reading the free books.
I'll give it some time for me to adjust to it.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
Unfortunately, Augen doesn't seem to be in any hurry to do firmware changes...
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
It's only been out a week. Have patience.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #38
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
Don't expect Augen customer support to read your mind. Submit a service ticket at

http://augen.helpserve.com/index.php

and tell them exactly what changes you'd like to see to the firmware. They can't fix things that they don't know about.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #39
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
Don't expect Augen customer support to read your mind. Submit a service ticket at

http://augen.helpserve.com/index.php

and tell them exactly what changes you'd like to see to the firmware. They can't fix things that they don't know about.
True, but it so happens that many of us in this thread also use the augen.lefora.com thread which is moderated by an Augen tech. His authority and position is unclear, but he does seem to know.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #40
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
True, but it so happens that many of us in this thread also use the augen.lefora.com thread which is moderated by an Augen tech. His authority and position is unclear, but he does seem to know.
It has been four days since I requested an account for the Augen forum with no response.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #41
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureForth View Post
If "marktech", the Augen forum moderator, is as efficient about passing on members' comments as he is about following up on membership requests (the last new member was admitted 6 days ago), the customer support people will never find out anything. Submitting a service ticket is more formal, specific, and gets a case number assigned.

Update since my original post. A reply from Augen in my email:

We raised that concern to our research and development team. We will be releasing a firmwre update but we don't have complete info yet on what's the enhancement included in the firmware. We will update you as soon as possible
Mark at Augen Customer Support

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: 4270
Department: Customer Support
Priority: Low

Last edited by kilohertz53; 07-26-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: New info
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #42
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
If "marktech", the Augen forum moderator, is as efficient about passing on members' comments as he is about following up on membership requests (the last new member was admitted 6 days ago), the customer support people will never find out anything. Submitting a service ticket is more formal, specific, and gets a case number assigned.

Update since my original post. A reply from Augen in my email:

We raised that concern to our research and development team. We will be releasing a firmwre update but we don't have complete info yet on what's the enhancement included in the firmware. We will update you as soon as possible
Mark at Augen Customer Support

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: 4270
Department: Customer Support
Priority: Low
How long did it take to get that reply? I can only hope that they are spending their time improving their product...

Nate the Great - I appreciate your patience. I agree - it will take some time to get the bugs out. Perhaps it's a financial decision - maybe they needed to release an incomplete product to generate the revenue to improve that product. An aircraft company I worked for did that.... Unfortunately they went bankrupt anyway.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #43
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

at this stage, I have decided to try to get a pair of TBs - one for me and one for my wife - but it's a struggle, because KMart seems to be the sole supplier right now, and their online ordering system keeps telling me two units is more than they have in stock!

They tell me to try visiting a store, but crossing the Pacific to do so is not really an option at this stage! <vbg>

KMart has also bumped the price to USD$99 But it still represents good buying.

I'll probably give it till the end of the week then reassess the situation.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #44
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
KMart has also bumped the price to USD$99 But it still represents good buying.
They didn't bump the price to $99, that is the regular price. Last week was just on sale for one week at $89.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #45
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
They didn't bump the price to $99, that is the regular price. Last week was just on sale for one week at $89.
Hi LB, et al,

my apologies. Still, KMart are out of stock and the rep I was having an online chat to said there was no ETA on another supply.

I shall have to wait.

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the book