Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Using Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" with Calibre

Please excuse me if this is a FAQ, but I'm unable to use my new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" with Calibre. When I connect it with USB, nothing happens.

Windows Explorer sees it, but it's listed under "Portable Devices"; it doesn't show up with a drive letter. Within the "Portable Device" there are two drives: "Tablet" and "Card".

Is it possible to use this tablet directly with Calibre, or do I have to use Calibre's "Save to Disk" capability to copy files to a folder on it?

I'm a complete novice with Android, so forgive me if I'm missing something elementary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....d-phone-tablet
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help. The only USB connection options offered by my device are "MTP" (which I'm using) and "PTP" (which seems to be a camera thing), so I guess I'm going to have to stick with saving files manually do a folder?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Either that, or the content server.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you very much. As always, I appreciate the help .
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Drat - it seems I'm foiled even in this . Any attempt to save to the folder on the tablet gives the error message "the folder name in invalid". Is it because it's an MTP drive that Calibre doesn't like the syntax of it? ie, the fact that it's "GT-P3110\Tablet\kindle", and not "E:\kindle" (or whatever)?

I know I can save to a folder on the hard disk, and then manually copy across, but it's a slight annoyance. Is there a technical reason that Calibre can't recognise drive names of this form?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Drat - it seems I'm foiled even in this . Any attempt to save to the folder on the tablet gives the error message "the folder name in invalid". Is it because it's an MTP drive that Calibre doesn't like the syntax of it? ie, the fact that it's "GT-P3110\Tablet\kindle", and not "E:\kindle" (or whatever)?

I know I can save to a folder on the hard disk, and then manually copy across, but it's a slight annoyance. Is there a technical reason that Calibre can't recognise drive names of this form?
MTP is problematic. Frankly, I have issues with it even when I use good old Windows Explorer (for some reason, I'm unable to delete or rename files/folders). You can't really treat it like normal mass storage. Try to check the USB connectivity settings on your tablet. Some Android devices allow using MSC (USB Mass Storage Class) instead of MTP. Another thing, if your device has an SD card slot, I think the SD card will connect to the PC via MSC (again, probably need to check USB connectivity settings).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Try to check the USB connectivity settings on your tablet. Some Android devices allow using MSC (USB Mass Storage Class) instead of MTP. Another thing, if your device has an SD card slot, I think the SD card will connect to the PC via MSC (again, probably need to check USB connectivity settings).
Sorry, I've already checked that, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available. The MTP device shows two drives: "Tablet" for the internal storage, and "Card" for the SD card.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You wont be able to save directly from calibre to an mtp device, you have to save to disk and then copy using windows explorer, which knows how to talk to mtp devices.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Kovid.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I've already checked that, and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available. The MTP device shows two drives: "Tablet" for the internal storage, and "Card" for the SD card.
Hmm, too bad then. Do you have an SD card reader on your PC? If you do, you can just remove the SD card from the tablet and connect it directly to your PC when you want to sync with Calibre (you can use the Connect to Folder function - a lot nicer than doing a simple Save to Disk). That's what I was planning to do with my Android smartphone when I was considering the upgrade to Android 4.0/Ice Cream Sandwich. Fortunately, the manufacturer (Sony) included an option to use Mass Storage mode so I was able to use my phone as normal.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
I had the original Tab 10.1. After the Dog chewed it up (I no longer recommend a leather case for tablets. Basically it's an expensive rawhide treat) I ended up with a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Glad I had accidental on it.

Ran into the same problems as OP. The old Tab was so much easier to use. Not a fan of ICS at this point.

Anyway, my workaround.

I used Google Drive to sync with my Calibre library. Anything added to Calibre will automatically be upload to Google Drive (you get 5Gb free, that's a lot of books).

I use Aldiko Book Reader (I use premium, but the free is fine). In my Google Drive App, when I open a book it will prompt me to either open it or save it to my Aldiko Library. The latter automatically adds it to my book shelf.

Google drive also allows you to tag files for offline use. So you can tag a bunch that you may want to read offline or just download them into the app.

If your goal is to transfer 100's or 1000's of books onto your tablet, this is obviously not a good work around. But for casual reading it works pretty well and (with wifi) you can always have access to all of your books.

Last edited by CJJ; 07-04-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typo
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
There's a good app on Google Play that makes it very easy to browse and download your Calibre books via the server. I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7", so I can guarantee it works.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10.

I use Cool Reader on my tab, I set up Calibre (the app, not the actualy Calibre program) to automatically save books to /mnt/sdcard/eBooks, and they're all readily available when I open the reader.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
That's good to know. It hasn't been updated since Oct. 2011 so I was worried that it might not work well with ICS. Good to know it does.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
Munner
Munner began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am having the same problem. When I try to load one book to the main memory, Calibre acts as if it has loaded my entire library to the device, when in fact nothing has been uploaded. This is a fantastic device, and I would really love to be able to use Calibre to load books onto it!!

Thank you very much!!
Munner is offline   Reply With Quote