Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
CBZ lag and reliability issues in Kobo Glo

Wondering if any other Glo owners have had this problem:

Basically viewing CBZ files has become pretty unreliable. It'll often freeze on a page, either taking 5-10 seconds to turn or not turning until you tap it again (at which point it turns 2 pages). Seems to get progressively worse until I got my first crash.

It's a lot of images but they're low quality and downsampled (cbz is about 50megs) and it seemed to perform as badly as one that was 200megs.

Didn't have this problem with epub formatted comics but losing the bottom 50 or so pixels to the entirely pointless page count (why can't Kobo make this optional?) is not ideal as every pixel counts for text clarity in manga.

Any advice to stop it? Is it a case of splitting up manga/comic so there's only a handful of chapters per book or is it a problem with Glos?
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I have uploaded a few CBZ onto the Kobo Glo and so far I have no lagging issues.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by abigsmurf View Post
Wondering if any other Glo owners have had this problem:

Basically viewing CBZ files has become pretty unreliable. It'll often freeze on a page, either taking 5-10 seconds to turn or not turning until you tap it again (at which point it turns 2 pages). Seems to get progressively worse until I got my first crash.

It's a lot of images but they're low quality and downsampled (cbz is about 50megs) and it seemed to perform as badly as one that was 200megs.

Didn't have this problem with epub formatted comics but losing the bottom 50 or so pixels to the entirely pointless page count (why can't Kobo make this optional?) is not ideal as every pixel counts for text clarity in manga.

Any advice to stop it? Is it a case of splitting up manga/comic so there's only a handful of chapters per book or is it a problem with Glos?
While I don't read manga or much else using CBR/CBZ format, my daughter does read a lot of them and has mentioned no issues. The only time I remember that she had an issue was immediately after she purchased the Harry Potter books from the Pottermore site and got some very strange symptoms. A factory reset, firmware upgrade and reload of her sideloaded content corrected that issue with very slow opening -- her Touch took about 30 seconds to open a book the first time it was opened or after a power off and she screamed loudly for tech support. I think this was related to her not having ejected the Kobo before pulling the USB cable.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
abigsmurf
Enthusiast
abigsmurf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've explored it a bit more and it seems the lag and instability is primarily down to having a large number of pages, file size doesn't appear to cause it.

Once I go above around 250 pages, I start noticing it getting increasingly sluggish when reading. If I keep it below that, the page turning remains fairly snappy.

The issue where it doesn't seem to recognise the first tap forward, then on the second tap goes forward 2 pages happens sporadically no matter how long the CBZ/CBRs are though.
abigsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote