Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Changes made in Calibre don't take effect?

I am changing book data using Calibre (author name, tabs etc..) but it doesn't seem to always work first time - i.e. I make the change, then unplug the PRS-505 and the changes only seem to work about 2 thirds of the time. They will always work eventually if I do it again, but it's a bit annoying. Pretty sure this must be me doing something stupid, so any advice gratefully received.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You do not mention using the "Send To Device" option after making the changes?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do I need to do that? I'm making changes direct in the Reader tab.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
its a bug in the reader firmware, sometimes even when you make changes it insists on re-reading the metadata from the book files, thereby erasing your changes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I understand it, when you make changes via the calibre GUI you are not making changes to the underlying ebook files but to the Calibre metadata database. To get the changes reflected in the files you need to either run a conversion or the Send to Disk option.

I notice that Kovid's reply does not mention this and as he is the ultimate authority on Calibre I guess I could be wrong.
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP is talking about changing metadata directly on the reader, not in the calibre database
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

He mentioned that he was using Calibre to do it. I assumed that changed the database as well? As I nearly always need to convert the file to use it on my reader I do not normally try in-situ changes.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

when you double click an entry in the list of books on your reader to edit it, it only changes the metadata on the reader
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

OK - thanks everyone.

I have tried a few experiments and I do seem to need to make most (not all!) changes twice to make them 'stick'.

Interestingly, when I changed a book's title to 'Fu Manchu Anthology' from 'Sax Rohmer Anthology', the book appeared between 'Fly the Rain' and 'The Gambler' when displaying by book title, even though the title still displayed as 'Sax Rohmer Anthology'.

Seems to suggest an underlying amendment has been made but not reflected in the display?

As I said, annoying, but not the end of the world!