Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Ordering from Books on Board

So I've decided to buy a Cybook, but I'm not sure where to order from. Since I'm Canadian my choices are between Bookeen and Books on Board.

My question is, does the Books on Board Cybook come with a leather case (or at least some sort of decent case)?

Under the BoB description it just says "case." It seems odd to me that they wouldn't specify that the case is leather, since that would be a good selling point. Bookeen doesn't list a case at all with the regular package, but I want to have one, so whether or not the BoB Cybook actually comes with a proper case is the tipping point for me.

Anyone bought from BoB and know?
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My guess is since they are getting the Gen3 from Bookeen that it would be the same case that Bookeen sells. But the best idea is to contact BoB support and ask them.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=contact
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
So I've decided to buy a Cybook, but I'm not sure where to order from. Since I'm Canadian my choices are between Bookeen and Books on Board.

My question is, does the Books on Board Cybook come with a leather case (or at least some sort of decent case)?

Under the BoB description it just says "case." It seems odd to me that they wouldn't specify that the case is leather, since that would be a good selling point. Bookeen doesn't list a case at all with the regular package, but I want to have one, so whether or not the BoB Cybook actually comes with a proper case is the tipping point for me.

Anyone bought from BoB and know?
As a fellow canadian, with a Cybook, i am not sure that Books on Board sells the Cybook to Canadians, they sell books no problems, but I think they only ship the Cybook to the USA... Better check I have been wrong before.... I bought mine from NAEB! and I love it

Regards,
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Make sure that, whomever you buy from, you do get the case. It's essential (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Make sure that, whomever you buy from, you do get the case. It's essential (IMHO).
I would agree with this! I often take the Cybook out to read without the case, but it always goes right back in when I'm done. I wouldn't dare put it in my bag without some kind of protection and I refuse to leave the house without a book. Therefore, case required.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
binzer
Zealot

Well, I was gonna order through Bookeen just to be sure, but I accidentally locked my account because I couldn't remember my Verified by Visa password, so I ended up ordering through BoB anyways :P

I've emailed support with a few questions (about shipment tracking and the case) so hopefully I'll hear back soon

Btw, for any Canadians out there, BoB does ship to Canada, and like Bookeen they charge the same price as American, supposedly include a case, and add in a $50 book credit. The package is $400 plus shipping (it's a package that's inbetween the two options on Bookeen which is nice).

Anyhoo, I'll let you know the results
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
binzer
Zealot

Apparently the case they supply is in fact leather, although the support person was unsure if it's the same one Bookeen advertises (I'm guessing it is since that's where they get it from).

Cybook + case + usb wallcharger + usb cable + $50 book credit for $400 seems like a pretty good deal to me, so if you want a case without all the other extra stuff (headphones, SD card, etc) then BoB seems like the better place to buy from.

I'll reserve final judgment until I get my package in the mail however. Until then, any recommendations on free stuff I should dl to prepare? (fonts, ebooks, software, etc). So far I've dled Mobipocket reader/creator and a few classic books.

Is tompe's Mobiperl worth dling? I plan to mostly just read fiction I buy, so is there any reason it would be useful to me?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I'm very excited to get my Cybook
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi there,

I purchased my Cybook from BoB and it does indeed come with the brown pleather/leather case, same as the one from Bookeen as far as I can tell.

It also came with the USB cable, the charger (you plug the USB cable into the charger and then plug it into a wall outlet to charge) and $50 in rewards for ebooks/audiobook downloads from BoB.

I had my Cybook within a week or so after I ordered it (at the end of January). The BoB website said they were sold out but about to get more in, so I decided to go ahead and order it and get on the backorder list. Support sent me an e-mail the next day with an estimate of when they would receive the next shipment and said that my Cybook would be sent out when they received that shipment. It looks like it's a longer wait now. The estimate they gave me was dead-on, by the way.

I was very pleased with my transaction and have had no problem using my rewards credit to purchase ebooks. I've used about half of it so far.

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 03-07-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Coherence
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #9
binzer
Zealot

Thanks Maggie! I feel a little less anxious about the long wait for my Cybook now.

I did get an email from support, and they said that Bookeen was supposed to send them a shipment this week, but they expect it next week. I'm not sure how many people are queued up, but hopefully not many and I can get my Cybook soon!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The Mobiperl package is definitely worthwhile, but I'd wait to download it until you actually have a need for it. It may be a newer version by then (right now, the versions are being updated quite frequently). Besides, until you need it, you don't need it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
binzer
Zealot

Just received an e-mail from BoB support.

Quote:
We have received confirmation that Bookeen has shipped our order of Cybooks from Paris, and we're expecting to ship the Cybooks to customers by Wednesday or Thursday of next week. You will receive a confirmation email with your tracking information on the day that we ship to you, so that you will know when to expect the delivery.

I also found out more information about the leather case (the question you asked in a previous email). While the leather case that we sell in our Cybook package is also from Bookeeen, it is not the same deluxe leather case that they advertise. The cases seem very similar except the one that comes with your Cybook package is a lighter color of brown. Please let me know if you have any questions.
So far I'm very impressed with BoB. Both of these issues had already been addressed in a previous email (in lesser detail) but the support person still went through the trouble of finding out more and informing me, even though I didn't expect to hear about it again. Their prices are also very reasonable on e-books, so I think I'll try to support them as much as possible.

It's amazing what some good customer service can do!