Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
=X= , it is my understandng that ePub is an open format which can (and often does) contain a DRM layer on top of it.

But this may be techno semantics, depending on your perspective.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB
Right ePub is an open format, but Adept DRM is not. It might be techno semantics as you put it, but as long as one company controls the DRM applied to eBooks it might as well be considered a propiatary format.

The nice thing about and open standard DRM is that anybody company can adopt it without being at the mercy of the controlling company.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

It mentions that any "redownloads" would only be available in ePUB? So if I upgrade my PRS-500 with the new firmware and redownload all my books in ePUB I'm good, yes?

Should I be able to share these older ePUB books I purchased with my irex 1000?

Help me.. I'm confused. ePUB and adobe DE are the same or different formats?

Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Right ePub is an open format, but Adept DRM is not.

=X=
Hence my comment "open, albeit DRMd, ePub format"
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #19
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriesound View Post
It mentions that any "redownloads" would only be available in ePUB? So if I upgrade my PRS-500 with the new firmware and redownload all my books in ePUB I'm good, yes?
I think so.

Quote:
Should I be able to share these older ePUB books I purchased with my irex 1000?
Yes.

Quote:

Thanks!
Adobe DE is usually refers to a special flavor of reflowable PDF and ePub is another format, specifically designed for eBooks (i.e., reflowable by design).
But both of those formats are supported by Adobe SDK, which is used for every reader that can read ePubs (as far as I aware).
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #20
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Thanks for the info! It's getting hard to keep up with so many formats!

Yeah! Now I'm excited to get my epub versions so I can share them with more of my
readers!

No ePUB on Kindle yet, right?

I'm such a brat- 2 Sonys, 1 Irex 1000, and 1 Kindle DX!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #21
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Any idea what will happen to our current LRF and LRX format ebooks? Will they still work after the firmware upgrade or will they all need to be replaced with epubs?

Any guesses as to whether the lack of full justification will be fixed in this update?

Do I start screaming now or should I wait until Friday?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #22
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Any idea what will happen to our current LRF and LRX format ebooks? Will they still work after the firmware upgrade or will they all need to be replaced with epubs?

Any guesses as to whether the lack of full justification will be fixed in this update?

a) They will still work

b) I guess no

c) definately wait

amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

The change if for new book sales. The old ones (lrf) will still work on the readers from what I understand. It is not being removed (though it could be in the future)

I don't like full justification on this reader anyway, just as well it's not implemented.

No need to scream at all. This is a good thing we are moving to a common format.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #24
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Start screaming now. Until a newer ePub renderer is made available for all models of the Sony Reader (with the possible exception of the Daily Edition), there will be no justification. But you can still read all of your current lrf/lrx ebooks.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Speaking of full justification. What is it that people think is so great about it? It has no bearing on the story or article and in most cases of electronic display cause irregular spacing and eye strain because of it. I just don't get why anyone would want this. Even when it is properly implemented (as in print books) it does nothing for the reading experience.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
EPUB is an open eBook format with a layout that is optimized for the Reader™ and your computer
I hope they aren't optimized for my reader the way that lrx ebooks were, with the huge borders on all sides and the double spacing.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Speaking of full justification. What is it that people think is so great about it? It has no bearing on the story or article and in most cases of electronic display cause irregular spacing and eye strain because of it. I just don't get why anyone would want this. Even when it is properly implemented (as in print books) it does nothing for the reading experience.
I find full justification much easier to read myself. Left justification makes the edges "ragged" and I never know if the paragraph has ended or just the line...

It's a pure personal choice and thus should be configurable, imo...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Thanks!
It's easy to be confused considering the way these companies use these terms.

The short answer is, NO, ADE is not a format.

The long answer...

ADE or Adobe Digital Editions is a piece of software that will read ePub and PDF file. ePub and PDF are formats that each define a documented method of how to mark up text and graphics. Both are actually supposed to be free to use without any royalty, even though Adobe owns the PDF specification... they have put it out there royalty free (well except for MS to use, long story).

Some people also state that readers have ADE on them. I don't think that is strictly true. Adobe has and SDK, I think it is official called the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK. This SDK allows licensees to use it. The SDK includes an ePub viewer, a PDF viewer including the ability to read files protected with the Adobe Adept DRM by the Adobe Content Server v4. For more info see here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/readermobile/.

That Adobe Mobile Reader SDK must be licensed by any company that wants to implement it on their device. So, while the ePub format is freely open to use, the Adobe SDK certainly is not.

You will see some ebook stores say that one of the formats of their ebooks is "ADE"... that usually means ePub protected by Adobe DRM. As I said, this does confuse people.

I hope that answers your question.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #29
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It should definitely be a user option, in my opinion. But I much prefer full justification. A paragraph looks "correct" to me that way. Most printed books in the past century are fully justified so I can't be alone. But then I am also a little disturbed when there is not a blank line after every paragraph, too. These things are important to me because I often have a difficult time not being distracted when I read. Okay, so I'm disturbed.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #30
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I initially started with ePub and rapidly switched to lrf when I realized that only lrf will be displayed fully justified on the Reader.

I'll consider "EPUB [] an open eBook format with a layout that is optimized for the Reader™" only when the 'Reader™' finally starts to honor the 'text-align: justify' style inside the ePub.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote