Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
ignis
ignis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Where to buy?

Hi,

I live in Norway and would very much like to buy myself a PRS-650. The problem, however, is that I can't find any place that sells it. I'm used to not finding the electronics I need in the local stores, but internationally?

PRS-650 should cost 229.99, but the cheapest one on eBay is $309.98 plus ~$70 shipping, and you can see why I am suddenly reluctant. Every other online shop I managed to google up has PRS-650 out of stock. Surely the demand for those readers can't be THAT high?

I can get a WiFi Kindle for $139 directly from Amazon, the reason I want a Sony reader is because Kindle doesn't support ePub and because I consider a keyboard to be a waste of space on an e-reader. However if I can't find any place that has PRS-650 in stock at a reasonable price, I will have no choice but to buy a Kindle

Thanks in advance.
ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Actually the demand was that high and they are sold out. The incoming supply is distributed to all Sony branches which means there are a bunch of units delivered to every country.

Either you place an order through a third party store and wait till they get it or you place your order with Sonystyle and wait for them to email you when it is available or you check their site daily first thing in the morning.

They keep dripping in, don't worry.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Actually the demand was that high and they are sold out. The incoming supply is distributed to all Sony branches which means there are a bunch of units delivered to every country.

Either you place an order through a third party store and wait till they get it or you place your order with Sonystyle and wait for them to email you when it is available or you check their site daily first thing in the morning.

They keep dripping in, don't worry.
Yes, stay away from everyone who is'scalping' them on Ebay and Amazon ($500 dollars, who are they kidding?).

I got mine for $199 several weeks before they sold out on Amazon, and bought one for my mother locally a few months before that at a local store on sale, also for $199.

Sony is claiming that they will have another batch available in just a couple weeks, so if you wait, reasonable prices should return.

For me lack of support for Adobe ADE EPUBs, so I can borrow books from my local library, made the Kindle 3 a total non-starter. At last count, I have read more than $500 dollars (at Amazon prices) in nice recently released books FREE by electronically borrowing them from my local library.

In my ignorance, if I had never seen a Kindle, and if Kindle had EPUB, I would have been tempted - but - I have used both a Kindle 3 and a Sony PRS-650, and now would't touch a Kindle with a ten foot pole.

The Sony's touch screen, is that nice, and the Kindles crappy keyboard, 'Alt-This and Alt-That' interface is that bad.

So, in my humble opinion, the Sony PRS-650 is well worth the wait.

Last edited by delphin; 02-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Ardjan
Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ardjan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650
They are indeed hard to get for some time now. Here in the Netherlands they have been out of stock in most stores for more than a month now. The way I got mine 2 weeks ago was by checking the local Sony site daily and ordering as soon as they had a new batch. They were sold out again within a day. So my best advice is to check your local Sony site every morning.
Ardjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, prs-650, shopping, sony reader