Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #16
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I'm having similar problems (just started today) with FW. Did something change in the rights-server? I redownloaded files from FW that I had been able to strip, previously, but today I get the "maybe the PID is incorrect" error. This is using a Kindle PID.

ETA - so I had a copy of the file that I had downloaded previously, and it worked. The same file downloaded today didn't work ("maybe the PID is incorrect"). Something definitely changed in the rights-server. I'm on a Mac, so opening the file in MobiReader isn't an option. Darn-it-all, I just signed up for the club for another year....

Last edited by tlrowley; 09-17-2008 at 05:05 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Talking to myself again....

it seems like FW is now stripping out the '*' from the Kindle PIDs. I have a PID generated from a VM on Fusion, so I could use that, but FW is not letting me delete the "bad" Kindle PID, and if I download a book with both the PC and "bad" Kindle PIDs, mobidedrm (v1 and v2) give me a checksum error.

I'm not a very happy camper, now, since all this used to work perfectly - any suggestions?
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
any suggestions?
Well, if you're comfortable removing DRM, you could use the PID from your desktop PC to do so with mobidedrm, then move the unencumbered book to the Kindle. Or so I hear.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #19
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

That's what I was trying to do, but I'm getting a "checksum error", I think because of the incorrect Kindle PID that FW won't let me remove.

Last edited by tlrowley; 09-17-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #20
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Surely you can deregister and register a PID with a bookseller, without any mention of DRM, right?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm having a similar problem with Fictionwise in that I am trying to remove the incorrect (no asterisk) PID and the automated system won't let me...error 6...non valid PID.

So I have contacted them through the website asking them to remove it.

Hasn't happened yet.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I'm having a similar problem with Fictionwise in that I am trying to remove the incorrect (no asterisk) PID and the automated system won't let me...error 6...non valid PID.

Can you just try to put in a different correct one?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #23
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Can you just try to put in a different correct one?

BOb
Probably, but I would like to avoid any potential problems like those above when I go to dedrm them later.

Basically, my profile right now has 2 entries (did have 3). It has the correct PID for my PC, and the incorrect PID for my Kindle. And the 3rd (which I removed) was the correct PID for my Kindle.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Probably, but I would like to avoid any potential problems like those above when I go to dedrm them later.

Basically, my profile right now has 2 entries (did have 3). It has the correct PID for my PC, and the incorrect PID for my Kindle. And the 3rd (which I removed) was the correct PID for my Kindle.
Ok, than can you correct the "bad" one and then remove it? I have seen apps (fixed some two) that won't let you delete a bad value or a record with a bad value because it tries to verify the value before it does the delete. So, putting in a valid value... saving it... then trying to delete the record may work.

This issue is basically that the value is being validated (checksum or whatever) before submitting the delete request. Yes, it's a bug, but it is actually the default behavior you get from ASP.Net validator controls.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #25
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

There doesn't seem to be a way to edit the PID. It seems that in the past couple of days, the '*' disappeared from the Kindle PIDs, but it will allow me to enter the PID again, with the '*'. If I can't delete the bad one, though, the generated mobi file will not pass mobidedrm because of checksums, since it contains an invalid PID. Like texasnightowl, I've asked FW to remove the PID for me, but they haven't done so, yet. Frustrating.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #26
texasnightowl
Guru

Update: No email from Fictionwise yet that I've seen, but I just logged into my profile and the bad PID is gone, so they have removed it.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I've had no email, either, but I just checked and the bad PID is still there.

Now, I'm curious, if you re-add the Kindle PID, does it accept it? Can you strip the DRM with the re-added Kindle PID? Or perhaps you don't want to experiment, I can understand that.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
texasnightowl
Guru

What I found interesting is that the bad PID (and my remaining good one) had a description of "Imported from Fictionwise". Seems odd. I could probably re-add my Kindle, but I plan to leave just my desktop PC one and strip DRM with it.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #29
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I think I'll do likewise (only use the desktop PID). I did receive a message from FW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW Support
Mobipocket just updated its encryption scheme, and it seems that
invalid PIDs are causing problems.
The support rep went on to say that they would request that my bad PID be deleted, but it hasn't happened yet. Of course, the PID wasn't bad until yesterday.... closing a loophole, maybe?
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I think I'll do likewise (only use the desktop PID). I did receive a message from FW

The support rep went on to say that they would request that my bad PID be deleted, but it hasn't happened yet. Of course, the PID wasn't bad until yesterday.... closing a loophole, maybe?
Perhaps they are responding to Amazon pressure. Just a thought.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote