Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #91
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I agree. I've been fascinated by the project since before the crowdfunding even completed. I've got two on order, and will hold out as long as I have to. Plus the 30% discount in perpetuity for original backers should come in handy down the road.

I wanted the EARL originally mostly for GPS usage while hunting. Since I backed the project, I've been keeping a very close eye on the development, and have really liked the direction the team took. Not only do I plan on using EARL for GPS, sunrise/sunset tables and radio, but I have a feeling that it may become my primary eReader as well. I know the delays are getting tough to swallow, (over a year now), but I am even more excited about the device now than I was when I originally backed the project.
Hear, Hear!!
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #92
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Big update on EARL today.

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

Looks like we should be getting them in time for Christmas.
I sure would have liked to have EARL for hunting this year, but whatcha gonna do?
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #93
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Big update on EARL today.

http://www.meetearl.com/updates/

Looks like we should be getting them in time for Christmas.
I sure would have liked to have EARL for hunting this year, but whatcha gonna do?
I'm concerned about the radio part. I am <not> a licensed amateur radio operator. And the licensing is <not> simple....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #94
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'm concerned about the radio part. I am <not> a licensed amateur radio operator. And the licensing is <not> simple....
It looks like they intend to develop a version for licensed operators and a version for unlicensed in areas of the world where it matters so I think it will be ok, or a good as it can be. Where in the world do you live?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #95
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
ITS an Emergancy Who cares about a lic!!

I love to have one! Any ideas as to cost?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post

I love to have one! Any ideas as to cost?
$299 for pre-orders. $349 after production. Kickstarter backers paid $249.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I believe, though, that you won't be able to buy one unless you can demonstrate that you hold the appropriate licence.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If this thing requires a license for purchase, I'm out.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #99
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If this thing requires a license for purchase, I'm out.
They are making two versions: one which requires a licence, and one which doesn't.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #100
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are making two versions: one which requires a licence, and one which doesn't.
That's good.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #101
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe, though, that you won't be able to buy one unless you can demonstrate that you hold the appropriate licence.
Is that the law in Great Britain? It is not in the USA. Nor, I believe, in Canada. We need to be very specific in what we think might apply to the world.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's why I said "I believe". It implies that I am not sure .
Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #103
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Not for nothing, but the Earl announcements says the other radio choice for the US is GMRS.

To the best of my knowledge, GMRS still requires a license. It's just a matter of filling out an online form and paying a fee, no test or anything, but required nonetheless.
The FCC has proposed to do away with that license, but it hasn't happened yet, unless the news got by me.

My advice: if you are at all technically savvy, study up on-line, find an examiner, and take the no-code technician class ham test. It really is not all that hard, and you'll be able to use a radio band that is not constantly polluted by every drunken idiot with a Walmart walkie-talkie.

As a bonus, you'll be a licensed amateur radio operator, so when the zombie apocalypse comes, you'll get stationed in the command bunker manning the radio net, and not stuck on the muddy barricade with a shotgun.

Last edited by ApK; 08-12-2014 at 02:42 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #104
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
As a bonus, you'll be a licensed amateur radio operator, so when the zombie apocalypse comes, you'll get stationed in the command bunker manning the radio net, and not stuck on the muddy barricade with a shotgun.
When the zombie apocalypse comes, I plan to wait it out in heaven
Old 08-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #105
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Command bunker? Ha! If movies and TV haven't lied to me, it's the living that you'll have to fear after the zombie apocalypse, not the dead. I'll maintain radio silence, thank you very much!
I'll be so far into the mountains that they'll have to ship daylight to me by pack mule!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps