Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Inaccurate Battery Indicator - bug or normal?

Hi! I recently got my first ebook reader, which is the Kobo Aura about two weeks ago. When I first charged it after I used up all the battery, the battery indicator said that it was already full so I unplugged it. I was surprised because it was plugged in for only about an hour or so. I immediately checked the status and it said that the battery was at 100%. After using it for a minute or so, I rechecked its status and it said that it was at 92% so I plugged it back it. Immediately after, the indicator again stated that the battery was fully charged, only to go back to 92% a short time later. I decided to plug it in longer and when I finally unplugged it, the indicator stayed at 100% for a long time.

The next time I charged it, it did the same thing - indicating that the battery was fully charged only to drop by a couple of percentage immediately after unplugging. Is the battery indicator really inaccurate or is it just mine? I'm not that worried yet because I've only fully charged it three times and I figured that maybe it is still just calibrating or something.

Also, I read that there is a Pocket service yet I can't see that option on mine. My firmware version is 3.1.0 but I read that 3.3.0 is already out yet when I hit sync, no updates are available.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:20 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It sounds normal to me. The battery indicator is accurate in the mid range, but nowhere near accurate at the extremes. There are technical reasons why this is the case explained in other threads, but basically the battery discharge curve is not linear, and the charging is done using different methods, and so at different rates, in steps.

I just treat any reading over 90% as fully charged, and any reading under 30% as almost empty. from 30% to 90% it seems to be reasonably accurate.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Glad to hear it. Thanks!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I just treat any reading over 90% as fully charged, and any reading under 30% as almost empty. from 30% to 90% it seems to be reasonably accurate.
The same goes for Android (on a Glo).
I think its a miscalculation of the battery's 'sensor' and not a problem
of the OS.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
BuyMore
Lurker extraordinaire
BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuyMore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It sounds normal to me. The battery indicator is accurate in the mid range, but nowhere near accurate at the extremes. There are technical reasons why this is the case explained in other threads, but basically the battery discharge curve is not linear, and the charging is done using different methods, and so at different rates, in steps.

So....it's better to charge the ereader once the reading hits below 30%?
BuyMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert