Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
BooksOnBoard Mobipocket Book

I bought a book. My choice was to buy it from Sony, or BooksOnBoard. I chose BooksOnBoard because I can remove the DRM and have a version of the book that is device independent. I consider that my right as a consumer.

The mobiddrm tools do not work with this book. It says there is no key, maybe the PID is incorrect.

When I open the book in Mobipocket Reader, I'm prompted to login to BooksOnBoard to activate the book.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be really upset if I cannot, after all, read this book on my Sony Reader.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I bought a book. My choice was to buy it from Sony, or BooksOnBoard. I chose BooksOnBoard because I can remove the DRM and have a version of the book that is device independent. I consider that my right as a consumer.

The mobiddrm tools do not work with this book. It says there is no key, maybe the PID is incorrect.

When I open the book in Mobipocket Reader, I'm prompted to login to BooksOnBoard to activate the book.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be really upset if I cannot, after all, read this book on my Sony Reader.
Did you enter a PID in the BoB site? I assume that if BoB has no place to enter the PID using MP to download it will cause it to be encoded with the correct PID.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe I did, yes. I can read the book fine in Mobipocket Reader on my PC, and that is the PID I enter on the command line for ddrm01 and ddrm02, with the same result.

A previous book from BooksOnBoard gave me no problems (The Professor and the Madman). This new book, though, won't de-DRM.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I believe I did, yes. I can read the book fine in Mobipocket Reader on my PC, and that is the PID I enter on the command line for ddrm01 and ddrm02, with the same result.
Do you have version 4?

BOb
Old 09-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Of what? I have version 6.2 of Mobipocket Reader, and the title is a Mobipocket "PX" format book.

For the mobitools, I have mobiddrm01.exe and mobiddrm02.exe.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Of what? I have version 6.2 of Mobipocket Reader, and the title is a Mobipocket "PX" format book.

For the mobitools, I have mobiddrm01.exe and mobiddrm02.exe.
Of mobidedrm.

BOb
Old 09-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Apparently I do not. :tapping fingers:
Old 09-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Apparently I do not. :tapping fingers:
PM me your email address.

BOb
Old 09-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Thanks, but same result:

Error: no key found. maybe the PID is incorrect
Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Did you download this book through MobiDesktop, or did you use a browser? I ask because I have had this problem every time I did the former, but never when I did the latter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Here's the problem and the solution: human error, of course. When you download a Mobipocket PX book, you don't have to register the PID on the site. When you open the book in Mobipocket Reader for the first time, it prompts you to login to the site from which you purchased the book, to activate it. This creates a DRM'd copy of the book.

It's rather important to de-DRM THIS file, not the original file you downloaded.

Umm, duh.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yay for drm ! isn't it fun ?

at least you figured it out. now you can read your book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Here's the problem and the solution: human error, of course. When you download a Mobipocket PX book, you don't have to register the PID on the site. When you open the book in Mobipocket Reader for the first time, it prompts you to login to the site from which you purchased the book, to activate it. This creates a DRM'd copy of the book.

It's rather important to de-DRM THIS file, not the original file you downloaded.

Umm, duh.
Interesting. I've bought PX books before and a little birdie told me that the DRM can be stripped from them as usual -- without logging on, etc.

Did you previously (i.e., before buying the book) register your device PID's for both OD and PX at BooksOnBoard (you have to do it for each separately)?

But glad you got it working.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I registered for OD, but not for PX. So apparently the prc file is in a weird, DRM'd but un-keyed state until you logon, which sends the PID to BoB and then encrypts the book. I guess, it's all speculation. But when I tried to deDRM the original download, I get the results I posted about here. Thinking it through and finding and using the file from the Mobipocket "My eBooks" folder, I get the results I want.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I registered for OD, but not for PX.
That explains it, then. Interesting "experiment" you conducted; good info to know.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote