Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Post Monday, May 5 Martha Stewart Show » Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos

Today, Jeff Bezos, the founder and CEO of amazon.com, is here with his company's latest innovation, which will transform the way we read: the Kindle.

Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and raised in Texas and Florida. Jeff excelled as a student from a young age, and graduated summa cum laude from Princeton. While conducting research in 1994, Bezos devised the idea of selling books on the Internet. Bezos founded amazon.com in 1994 after making a cross-country drive from New York to Seattle, writing up the Amazon business plan on the way and setting up the original company in his garage. His work with Amazon eventually led him to become one of the most prominent dot-com entrepreneurs. Jeff joins Martha to chat about Amazon and its newest wireless reading device, the Kindle.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...005b09a00aRCRD
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle is not revolutionary as the blurb makes it seem. It's just another eink based reading device. Why is it just because it's from Amazon, it gets touted as something new and revolutionary? It's not. If it wasn't for other companies doing it first, the Kindle would never exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It may seem revolutionary to Martha, I bet she wished she had a Kindle while she was in the slammer
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Actually I think the Whispernet thing is pretty revolutionary.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Actually I think the Whispernet thing is pretty revolutionary.
Yep, wireless delivery of books in less than a minute is pretty unique. Couple that with instant access to Wiki and other resource sights with the same device is quite amazing.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
kevinpars
Connoisseur
kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinpars ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a Kindle and love it, but I would argue that the Kindle is 'evolutionary' rather than revolutionary.

It takes something that exists and adds wireless and a quick connection to Amazon for book purchases. Good idea - but I imagine if I searched around these boards that I would find a thread discussing how great it would be to wirelessly purchase books on an ebook device.

But any exposure is good exposure so it is all good.
kevinpars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The iRex iLiad alread was out and it already had true wifi that can be used all over the world. All the Kindle is providing is a different flavor of wifi. So the only thing different about the Kindle is the direct access to Amazon for eBook purchases. The rest of it is not new.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

WiFi can be used anywhere you have an access point that you can use. That's why Amazon went with Whispernet. Most places in the US, the Sprint data network is just there. No searching for an open AP or setting up a security key. Instant access. And the integration with the store is something the iLiad doesn't have. The integrated Wikipedia search is something it doesn't have either. It's a new concept in how to use 3G wireless connections in a device.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:28 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
WiFi can be used anywhere you have an access point that you can use. That's why Amazon went with Whispernet. Most places in the US, the Sprint data network is just there. No searching for an open AP or setting up a security key. Instant access. And the integration with the store is something the iLiad doesn't have. The integrated Wikipedia search is something it doesn't have either. It's a new concept in how to use 3G wireless connections in a device.
If you live in the US and have only one hardware device then 3G was the better choice. It is not however a totally new idea. Even my old eb1150 has a phone connection built in, but in the olden days it was a modem . Still usable today but not as convenient as wireless.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The iRex iLiad alread was out and it already had true wifi that can be used all over the world. All the Kindle is providing is a different flavor of wifi. So the only thing different about the Kindle is the direct access to Amazon for eBook purchases. The rest of it is not new.
Tell me, do you think cellphone and skype phone are the same thing to the general public? Let alone that wifi on iLiad is barely functioning. Tech without a killer app is useless.

Last week I was on the road. With my kindle, I can read NYT everyday and bought and finished a memoir on the go. I can't imagine to find open wifi everyday just to download the content. That's the reason I ditched my Sony.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you live in the US and have only one hardware device then 3G was the better choice. It is not however a totally new idea. Even my old eb1150 has a phone connection built in, but in the olden days it was a modem . Still usable today but not as convenient as wireless.

Dale
I don't know much about the eb1150 so my apologies for overlooking it. That is a great idea especially for its time. While the tech now makes it even better due to the speed and mobility, it still allows you to get content without a computer which is one of the selling points of the Kindle. And at that time even fewer people had computers and were comfortable downloading and transferring content.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Tell me, do you think cellphone and skype phone are the same thing to the general public? Let alone that wifi on iLiad is barely functioning. Tech without a killer app is useless.

Last week I was on the road. With my kindle, I can read NYT everyday and bought and finished a memoir on the go. I can't imagine to find open wifi everyday just to download the content. That's the reason I ditched my Sony.
To the average person, if it works, they don't need or want to know the underlying technology. If it's a cell phone call or a skype call, they won't care as long as it works well.

What the Kindle is doing isn't really new. It's just doing the same sorts of things in a different way.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To the average person, if it works, they don't need or want to know the underlying technology. If it's a cell phone call or a skype call, they won't care as long as it works well.

What the Kindle is doing isn't really new. It's just doing the same sorts of things in a different way.

How many ebook readers can you purchase and download a book, update a blog or newspaper and order a magazine subscription while sitting in a 737 on the tarmac waiting for 2 hours for a mechanic to come fix the airplane?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #14
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I would have all that on my reader before leaving home, even if I had the Kindle along. For one its called being prepared, and also there is no sure thing the Kindle will get a signal, many parts of the country, world, the Kindle can't receive a signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
How many ebook readers can you purchase and download a book, update a blog or newspaper and order a magazine subscription while sitting in a 737 on the tarmac waiting for 2 hours for a mechanic to come fix the airplane?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
Rocketime
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I would have all that on my reader before leaving home, even if I had the Kindle along. For one its called being prepared, and also there is no sure thing the Kindle will get a signal, many parts of the country, world, the Kindle can't receive a signal.
Ervserver,

Wow, I wish I was half as organized as you. I'm pretty much a scatter brain when it comes to planning. That's the beauty of the Kindle. I can do all my reading stuff on the fly. I've been in 9 airports across the country and I've had a signal in all of them. I travel for a living and there have been very few, if any locations I haven't had a signal as I subcribe to half a dozen blogs and leave it on all the time.

Glad to hear you are so organized, you don't really need the features of the Kindle. Since you own a Sony and you're so organized, why do you bother with the Kindle?