Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
tesshan
tesshan began at the beginning.

Device: cool-er ebook reader
frozen? green light blinking

Hi!

I just got my cool-er today and I used it for a couple of hours. tonight I uploaded some ebooks and then after I turned it on and I got to my docs it froze and the green light started blinking.
can someone help me? I'm not used with this device since I got it only this morning.
tesshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
First thing to try is just resetting it with the in-set button on the back.

If you've just bought it, do you know what firmware it has on it?
Some of the earlier firmwares are notoriously prone to this sort of behavior.
When you turned it on previously, did it have a greyscale pattern? If so, you're definitely going to want to update the firmware.

You can find the latest firmware and instructions on how to download and install it on the page here. You'll need an SD card to do this.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
tesshan

wow...I was able to reset it and it went back to work fine. now I tried to update the firmware and during the whole process it forze again. I tried to reset it but it seems to freeze after the reseting...the little squares in the lower part of the screen appear but nothing else. I waited at leat 10 minutes and more but nada. no led light. nothing. dammit! shouldn't have tried to update the firmware? I don't thing it was that old 1.12.9 I think but I thought it will work better with the new one.
what should I do now?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
tesshan

now it works...thank god! I read all the thread about the firmware update and one user, nickname crill, had the same problem! I did what the other users told him to do and now it works. you are the best! love this forum. has all the answers.
seems like the sd card I bought wasn't working so I changed it with the one from my camera. ^^
totally happy now!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Glad it's working well for you!
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 AM   #6
kaskam01
kaskam01 began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-ER
Hi,
I'm also new here. I succesfully upgraded my firmware some time ago. But I have another "dumb" problem - yesterday reader worked fine. Today when I tried to turn it on it only shows the seven squares at the bottom, then the green lights blink a few times and suares shows up again. It unending loop - it lasts few hour now. I tried to reset it but it does not work.
Help anybody?
kaskam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
What did you do the last time? Did you have a book open?

You might try to connect it to the PC, then restart it. If you have luck, then the "connect to PC" subroutine will take over before the loop.

I think I once had that problem too - for some reason a book I was reading was causing that problem - something went wrong and the reader restarted - and had the same problem again.

If you get access - copy ALL files to your PC, then delete the book you think is responsible.
If it still doesn't work - reinstall firmware, you have a backup :-)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
kaskam01
kaskam01 began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
What did you do the last time? Did you have a book open?

You might try to connect it to the PC, then restart it. If you have luck, then the "connect to PC" subroutine will take over before the loop.

If you get access - copy ALL files to your PC, then delete the book you think is responsible.
If it still doesn't work - reinstall firmware, you have a backup :-)
Yes, I had book open.
Unfortunately connecting to PC did not help - it was still in the loop. Additionally it has frozen totally now - does not react to anything
kaskam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Maybe the battery is used up?
If it was active all that time it might be. While screen doesn't need energy, the buttons and chips do.

Try charging it up or leaving it connected. It should still be able to charge.

If the loop continues, I suggest reinstalling the firmware. Of course, you'll lose all data and I take no responsibility whatsoever.
It is what I would do. Did, actually.

If you don't want to reinstall it and the loop continues, you could try to take out the battery. That way it'll be turned off until you turn it on again (I'm assuming it doesn't turn off when you press the button.)
I don't know if the batter CAN be taken out, though. I know it's possible with mine - just one screw for the plating, and a simple connector for the battery. Since the Cool-Er is an EB600, it should be the same.

But again - proceed at your own risk.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
tesshan

same problem here. yesterday it worked fine but today it is in an enending loop. I put some new books on it yesterday and now it's not working. I tried to reinstall the firmware but no luck. I was also looking for the video on youtube to refresh my memory about which buttons to press but I can't find it. Help!

edit: now the cooler is frozen. no loop but each time I try to reinstall the firmware my pc says that there is a new hardware (little window like when you install a new webcam or something like that). help!!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
codeMonkey
Zealot

Hi tesshan

Some of the older Cool-ER firmwares can be a bit temperamental - if a particular book makes it crash, the reader will sometimes continually try to load that same book on start. I keep my books on an SD card, so if it does get into this sort of problem I can just take the SD card out and it won't crash when loading the book since it's not there.

As cyberman suggested before - a complete reflash with the latest firmware should solve the problem.
It shouldn't matter what the PC says, the Cool-ER only really wants a connection for power reasons.

As the Cool reader site has gone down I've uploaded a copy of the latest firmware here.