Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ePub editing tool

Is there an epub file editor; i.e., an application that will open a file, enable changes to the html therein, and then close the file in an epub format?
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
try sigil, the epub editor (it has its own forum here). it sounds like just what you are looking for.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
As Z says Sigil should give you what you want. You can use it as a WYSIWYG or edit the code directly.

Otherwise you can change the epub extension to zip and unzip it. Edit the files you want and copy them back into the zip, change back to .epub and you'll be set that way too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
gazza
gazza began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
My partner in publishing believes that ePub will be THE standard. I am bewitched buggered and bewildered by the plethora (good word, that, meaning bloody excess) of standards. Is there a general consensus of opinion on this forum that epub is the way to go?

Gareth
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
My partner in publishing believes that ePub will be THE standard. I am bewitched buggered and bewildered by the plethora (good word, that, meaning bloody excess) of standards. Is there a general consensus of opinion on this forum that epub is the way to go?

Gareth
You'll get lots of opinions on thie, but ePub seems to be getting there, but not yet. There are to many legacy devices out there that can't read ePub. The other formats will be around for a while yet.

The good thing is once you've got the ePub conversion to other formats "usually" goes quite easily.
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post

Gareth
New readers tend to support epub, although the kindle only supports mobi, so that format should be staying for a while longer.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
While .epub is likely going to be the file standard for end-users, I'd suggest using a richer format for original source formatting.

TEI covers pretty much everything I've even remotely considered using in a document:

http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml

One can even create custom schemas w/ a nifty on-line tool which are tailored to one's needs.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
While .epub is likely going to be the file standard for end-users, I'd suggest using a richer format for original source formatting.

TEI covers pretty much everything I've even remotely considered using in a document:

http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml

One can even create custom schemas w/ a nifty on-line tool which are tailored to one's needs.

William
If you have a good ePub, it's fairly easy to then convert to all the others from there. So really, ePub does make a good source format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
``good'' != ideal

Does epub mark which quotes are beginning and which are ending? TEI does.

Does epub differentiate between single right quotes and apostrophes? TEI does.

&c.

``good enough'' isn't.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Sigil won't open an epub file generated by InDesign CS4; which should be an authoritative epub code generator.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Sigil won't open an epub file generated by InDesign CS4; which should be an authoritative epub code generator.

Now I'll try your epub-zip-epub transformation.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

CS4 actually does a poor job of making ePub's from what I've read and found myself.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

That epub-zip-epub transformation worked; at least the first two stages. I'll change the html code that's inappropriate using Dreamweaver and save as xhtml again. Then I'll zip the archive again and rename as epub file type. Then when I open that in Digital Editions we'll see what I've got.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

I thought epub was Adobe's invention. I guess I was wrong.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
I thought epub was Adobe's invention. I guess I was wrong.
Nope, they're just a big proponent of it and are the first company to add a DRM scheme to it. It was designed to be an "open" format by the International Digital Publishing Forum.
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPUB

You would think CS4 would make the best possible ePub's with the involvement Adobe has with the format, but not so far. Some are hoping that'll change with CS5. I'd like to see an update to CS4.