Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The only one available on their website to place an order for is the DR1000S. The SW isn't listed, so you can't order it yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #17
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
This delay may bump it close to the Plastic logic rollout. This may get people to pause before purchasing the SW if the Plastic Logic has a good entry at a lower price point.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, we'll see what happens. So far PlasticLogic has been nothing except for press releases.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, we'll see what happens. So far PlasticLogic has been nothing except for press releases.
Exactly.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
True but unless they are a scam expect them to come through. They have raised over $200 million in financing and they built a state of the art manufacturing facility. They have shown a working model. They probably have to make sure they have the materials for mass production and can scale the production to produce large quantities with an acceptable failure rate. Maybe the biggest unknown is whether they can mass produce the product. With this financing and production investment I don't expect them to say never mind. This and other readers coming to market will force iRex to work harder. That is a good thing.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #21
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
well said, pretty much sums up everything, might I also say that this plastic logic prototype loooks really delicious.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #22
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
True but unless they are a scam expect them to come through. They have raised over $200 million in financing and they built a state of the art manufacturing facility. They have shown a working model. They probably have to make sure they have the materials for mass production and can scale the production to produce large quantities with an acceptable failure rate. Maybe the biggest unknown is whether they can mass produce the product. With this financing and production investment I don't expect them to say never mind. This and other readers coming to market will force iRex to work harder. That is a good thing.
I'm sure they're not a scam, but there are start up companies all the time that make press releases and bring in lots of investor money and end up failing or never bringing a product to market. Things like that probably happen every day. I usually keep that in mind when I'm reading about prototypes/etc. Some of them turn out to be great products, but a lot of others never go anywhere or when they do become available do not live up to all of the hype.

Agreed that competition is a good thing. It keeps companies innovating, keeps prices down... etc. IMO, just be a little skeptical until a new company actually has a product available for sale.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
rrustema
rrustema began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad since 2006
I just made a call to iRex. Do not expect an iRex DR1000SW before december 2010. The device will be completely redesigned: ePub support, possibly an improved scribble function and so on. And wireless.

I also mentioned that my iRex iLiad does not support wifi from ad-hoc networks, like my laptop or smartphone with an internet connection which broadcasts wifi. This apparently was news to the person I spoke to. Hopefully they will fix that.

The problem with the commercial hotspots with an authentication/pay screen on a webpage makes it difficult to use those connections. That probably remains unsolved.

Altogether I think I will not wait for wifi on an iRex device and get an DR1000 instead for reading my PDFs. Reading my newspaper is then something for my iPhone or iPad.

But the DR1000 is currently sold out, a new batch from Asia is underway and is expected to arrive end of June. Marketing of the DR1000 by retailers will recommence only after that, now even the DR1000 units for display in stores are sold in most shops.

Another consideration is the price. The DR1000 only gives a bigger screen, but is expensive. My iLiad still works. If I also get an iPad to read my news, it all adds up too much.

I did not like to hear that I can not annotate the papers of my students like I am used to on my iLiad. The ePub format does not allow this. The workaround is to carry one SD card for your 1.7 material and one for your 2.0 material. The first to annotate like I am used to. The annotated PDFs I can still merge using ILiadPdfScribbleMerger 1.8 I assume. When I want to read ePub titles I swap to the 2.0 SD card. Support for the old format is dropped because the market demand for ePub is the strongest.
rrustema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #24
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
You can still annotate PDFs on DR1000S fw 2.0 but you can't export the notes to a PC.

Unfortunately the 'switching SD-cards' workaround you propose isn't possible. The firmware is installed not on the card but in the internal memory of the device.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote