Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I got my Kindle Early - My Impressions !

after ordering on 30/8/10 remember i told you that i would get on Monday 26th of sept but then i got an email this Monday saying it had been dispatched and i would get it on Thursday 23/9/10!

I was dismayed as i happen to work and the Home Delivery would take it away but when i came home from work today i found a card saying it had been left BEHIND THE HUT!

omg!

i had arrived a day early! my whole day ruined ! as i will be forced to tinker with it all day.

I was shocked, i thought for a £149 item they would make me sign for it.

what is stop me from claiming i never got it?

i ask you?

i could get another kindle for free.making the price £75 each.

anyway i opened the box without eating anything first !

i reached in and lo and behold! i held the kindle in my grubby little paws for the first time in myhistory.

(History get it?).

however i was dismayed and horrified to find it was quite heavy.it was not feather weight at all as some had claimed.seemed heavier than a paperback.
i will have to join a gym after all.

maybe because it was a 3G?

i then shook it ...no rattling noises..i squeezed it all over no creaking. so far so good...

I then tried to put in my inside jacket pocket and it would not fit! damn and blast! confounded thing was too big!!!! arrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

it was the bezel it was too thick and inflated the size.

i measured it ...came to a whopping 1.5 cm on each side.3 cm in total and also 1.5 cm wasted above the keyboard.if only scissors could cut it off.

that means i cannot put it inside my inside jacket pocket after all and also my heart will be also undefended from some drug addled ned or drunken lout trying to stab me with a knife jumping at me from a corner.

my shield gone.my heart shield dream unrealized.

i can just squeeze into my jacket shoulder sleeve but it makes look like a lop sided transformer robot.

i took it upstairs and loaded some random 100 txt,pdf,doc,rtf books by usb copy/paste.

i browsed and played with the thing and i could not detect any slow downs ,freezing ,rebooting...i copied all the virgin kindle files to my pc as backup before dumping the books into it.

i was quite shocked to see how fast it had indexed my 100 random books while i scrolled through the kindle system files.

also rtf files are not recognized,nor are doc files but i found if i changed the file extension from rtf or doc to txt they worked !!!

i am amazing.

i also changed the margin from 40 to 12.

i found pdf files to be vastly overrated and painful to view/read and the kindle displayed txt files with ease and proper formatting in novels and books.

pdf was a pain ,text too small or too large ,mucking around with the cursor/zoom...i think it is really for masochists or deluded fashion victims

pdf seems to be a fashion accessory just like wearing trainers...

thus i will convert all my pdf to txt from now on.

part 2 of this review will be coming soon...

to be continued...

Last edited by vugtitan; 09-22-2010 at 06:35 PM.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Sounds like you're having an interesting experience with your kindle! I hope you enjoy getting to use it...for reading, not for defending against drunken louts.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
In the US, Amazon doesn't make you sign for anything under $400. Which makes delivery much more convenient if you live in a place where packages don't routinely get stolen.

I guess they trust that people are basically honest, though I'm sure that if someone tried the "I didn't get it" thing more than once, their account would be set so they had to sign for everything.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Yugtitan: love your Kindle?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Heavy? Wow not heard anyone say they think a naked Kindle 3 is heavy - I'm a very petite just over 5 foot female with extremely weedy arms and I actually think the naked Kindle is a bit light! I like the fact that my lighted cover has beefed it up a bit.

I can fit my Kindle in my dressing gown pockets but I never wear coats so it just slips in my bag when I go out. Size wise I still think it could be made smaller by having the keyboard tucked away and smaller bezels but I don't want a smaller screen.

You seem to like it so far so hopefully it will work for you.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
I was shocked, i thought for a £149 item they would make me sign for it.

what is stop me from claiming i never got it?

i ask you?
Nothing is stopping you. But you would of course be committing the crime of fraud in so doing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
When my Kindle first arrive I was very excited too of how small/slim it is. But when I pick it up, it is a lil bit heavy than my current reader which is the EZ Reader Pocket Pro. I understand since EZ PPro is a 5" reader. But even when my EZ PPro is wrap on it's book cover and my Kindle 3 is just "naked", K3 is noticeably heavier.

About the file type. I find pdf too a pain. And when I load html, it didn't see the file. Kindle need to convert it. So can't really read it like they advertise. The best format to put in Kindle are azw/prc/mobi and text. That's it.

Another thing, if reading graphic/comic/manga ebooks and the file is pdf I find Kindle is good in handling that. You can zoom and pan around the lilttle ballon to read the small text.

I guess we just need to get use to it. But I do love my K3, am not saying I don't, there are just some that needs improvement.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Heavy? Wow not heard anyone say they think a naked Kindle 3 is heavy - I'm a very petite just over 5 foot female with extremely weedy arms and I actually think the naked Kindle is a bit light! I like the fact that my lighted cover has beefed it up a bit.
Well, this 6' 200 something man thinks it's heavier than expected.

Certainly heavier than a book (excepting large hardbacks) and at least for me, if I try reading with one hand, my wrist gets sore
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle weighs (according to my kitchen scales) 233g. I've just weighed a random selection of my paperbacks; the lightest was 217g, the heaviest 410g. So the K3 weighs in at the light end of the paperback range.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would convert the PDF to .mobi not to txt... mobi retains some of the formatting... well depending on the converter
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle weighs (according to my kitchen scales) 233g. I've just weighed a random selection of my paperbacks; the lightest was 217g, the heaviest 410g. So the K3 weighs in at the light end of the paperback range.
Same here. I guess it is all perception, or maybe it was the first ereader for some. I had a PRS-300 with cover before receiving my K3 Wifi, and I thought the K3 was very light. My niece has a Nook and I can notice the weight (and size) difference between the 2 of them. Aamof, she accidentally dropped her Nook, and when she picked it up and saw that it was OK, she said "Drat, I was hoping it broke so I could get a new Kindle!"

To OP, I hope you enjoy your K3 as much as I enjoy mine.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacina View Post
I would convert the PDF to .mobi not to txt... mobi retains some of the formatting... well depending on the converter
pdf is total crap..even on a pc.endless tweaking and adjusting.

i prefer pdf to text.it's simple,universal and light on pointless processing.

i cannot see the point of endless different formats.

last week another company was going to bring out a ereader with a proprietary format..talk about retarded executives and their retarded sycophants.

i guarantee this ereader and format will fail...what a waste of money
on mind boggling stupidity.

part 2 of review continued...

regarding the endless debate about collections i will not use collections for my 3500 books until amazon bring native folder support via software.

i will simply put my 3500 books in alphabetical order author-title order using free lupus rename software to ensure consistent naming on my pc first then dump the whole lot via usb to the kindle.

the 119 books i put in a single go failed to freeze/reboot/slow my kindle in any way.this was what i was terrified off....a lump of inert freezing plastic in my impatient hand. the battery seemed ok as well.i have not charged it out of the box so far.

today i discovered on the 119 test books that the contents pages total 12 pages.

all i had to do was hold the < or > buttons down to get from page 1 to page 12 or vice versa.

it took only 5 seconds.

5 seconds.

for 3500 books it will be 350 content pages and take a maximum 350/12 times 5 seconds =180 seconds or 3 minutes to get from AAA TO ZZZ.

it would be great if a hack was discovered to put 20 or 30 per content page page as a lot of space is wasted with just 10 books displayed on a content page.

anyone know of such a hack or trick/tip?

or i can use search by author to be be even quicker.

Last edited by vugtitan; 09-23-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: after thoughts
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

One tip: in the author and title sort modes, pressing a letter key on the keyboard (then "Enter") will take you directly to authors or titles beginning with that letter.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Your review is awesome. Now get reading!
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
One tip: in the author and title sort modes, pressing a letter key on the keyboard (then "Enter") will take you directly to authors or titles beginning with that letter.
Nice tip
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delight, junkie, kindle, knife, stab