Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
iLiad article in German magazine C't

Hi, I just found a review of the iLiad in the actual issue (can be bought from Monday on) of the German computer magazine C't.

It took some time for them to write it.

Unfortunately they did not mention my meditiation thread. Although they sounded as like they would have needed some meditation just like the rest of us. At least they had 2.8 to test. ;-)

LOL

To be serious:
The did not mention our community at all. :-(

Last edited by R2D2; 01-20-2007 at 03:10 PM.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
I think it pretty much describes the current state of the iLiad. I found the conclusion and especially the last sentence a pretty good description of the current situation.

It's a bit sad that they didn't mention mobileread.

BTW: did I overread it or did they not mention the 30 sec boot time, cause by the iLiad missing a suspend mode between pages?

Last edited by b_k; 01-20-2007 at 03:39 PM.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
So did they like it or not???
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
b_k
Übernerd

some badly translated quotes:
"Obviously it is a device for (Very) Early Adopters and very tolerant users. The user interface is partly unstructured and the system is not totally save from crashes."

"iRex is on the right way, but you should leave them some time for further updates."
(c't 03/2007, p.76)

All in all they seem to like it, aside from the already known problems, for running Linux and not being bound to a DRM system.

I think they didn't loose a word on the boot-time and lack of suspend, cause the people at "Heise" (the publisher) are said to have a faible for Linux and don't being fans of DRM (called Digital Restrictions Management in their publications often enough).
Old 01-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_k
some badly translated quotes:
"Obviously it is a device for (Very) Early Adopters and very tolerant users. The user interface is partly unstructured and the system is not totally save from crashes."
Sounds like yet more mis-information and sour grapes...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is the 2nd time C't talked about the iLiad. You find another reference in "Digitales Papier - So funktionieren E-Paper-Displays" in 21/2006.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
This is the 2nd time C't talked about the iLiad. You find another reference in "Digitales Papier - So funktionieren E-Paper-Displays" in 21/2006.
I read that article. It was sooo full of mistakes and misinformation, unbelievable. That was a very disappointing experience for me.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I agree. They used to be better in doing research.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Interestingly the last sentences are very impressive (and true) (free translation):

Despite the problems the wishlist for iRex will be getting longer and longer. But you adapt to the Reader very fast and you won“t give it away again.

+

I“ve got the impression that at least half of the people are German natives - we could also just start talking German ;o).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Maybe they did not mention Mobileread because it is an english site?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #11
b_k
Übernerd

um, actually you need to understand a bit of english to get through the order process at iRex. So, what would be the problem?

Aside from that, in other cases they linked to english sites (OpenSIMPad for one that I remember, and probably a lot more I don't know now)
Old 01-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I just read the article. I think it's a very friendly article, actually somewhat overpositive.

A surprise: IRex is aware of the annoying buzzing sound some Iliad's make, and is running a recall? I didn't knew that.

I had the impression that some informations in the article were taken from iRex announcements, or just assumed without being tested. (It mentions adding content over LAN/Wifi, and 16h battery time, or using the Iliad to carry all the publications you need for your dissertation / your article around)

Reg. not mentioning mobileread: This magazine usually doesn't point to user communities in device reviews. It often points to english sources.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The c“t is normally very reliable in they reviews.

For the iLiad I cannot rate this yet -> I“m still saving money for my first iLiad ;o).
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #14
cdie
cdie began at the beginning.

Actually, got the magazine from a colleague, and I think they wrote a honest statement which only strengthened my decision "Pro Iliad" and I'm still a happy Iliad user, and more enthusiastic every day !

While I crawled through all the forums, I have to admit that half of the forums are filled with annoying and arrogant people ("He ho, I will leave this iliad community now, and the world will disappear with me, he ho" and those type of people) which is not really good for iRexTechnologies: A few people spreading bad facts, bad rumours and a negative mood about this excellent and brilliant device (ie. How can you dare to compare the iRex with the Starebook, this Starebook is a joke IMHO).

This device has its flaws, and so does my iPod, but there is an enormous potential as well, and it's in an early stage, so you either choose to be an early adaptor, and live with the consequences, or you don't, but then you better keep your hands off.

Last edited by cdie; 02-03-2007 at 02:36 AM.
cdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdie
(ie. How can you dare to compare the iRex with the Starebook, this Starebook is a joke IMHO).

This device has its flaws, and so does my iPod, but there is an enormous potential as well, and it's in an early stage
Hmm, i must say, now you are a bit arrogant. The comparison is very well deserved, since the iLiad has lots of potential, which could pale the starereader in comparison, but the truth is, its just potential. Nothing much more at the moment.

I do hope, that the iLiad will use its potential quite soon, since the specs that are even stated on the box, are still not reached yet. And time is running out for the iLiad. Several other products are currently being developed which are supposed to hit the market at the end of this year, which seem to have the same or more potential than the iLiad. So the people from iRex need to speed up their development a bit, so they do not loose their advantage.

Since it is the only device with such a large screen and a wacom tablet, it is still my favourite, but i see color and flexible displays on the horizon. So i do hope, iRex has the iLiad 2.0 already in development. This time with colour and a multitouch screen and faster eink response times and definately a much better power management.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote