Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Haiwee
Haiwee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kobo or PRS300?

Newbie here looking for a little advice. Pretty much sold on the Kobo, but not completely.

First, I'll use the device primarily while on back-country backpacking trips. I don't know if this has been covered here before, but there are those of us in the backpacking community known as "gram weenies." Believe it or not, the Kobo actually appeals to me because it's 3/4 ounce lighter. Every gram counts to a backpacker. Other considerations:

--The Kobo has 1GB internal memory, the Sony 512MB.
--The Kobo has a slightly larger screen.
--The Kobo has an SD card expansion slot.
--Borders has an ongoing deal to get a $20 gift card along with their "Border's Bucks."
--The Sony has the reputation and support of a well-established name brand.
--The Sony supports more formats, including the LRF format in which I've already down-loaded hundreds of books (of course, I know I can easily reformat them to Epub for the Kobo).
--Both units sell for about the same price here in the U.S.

I don't care about wireless capabilities, I'm not going to listen to music or watch videos; I'm only going to read books. Am I missing anything? Thanks for the help.
Haiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
In your case I would pick the pocketbook 360. It has a 5" screen like the 300 and includes a hard cover that stores at the back of the reader when you use the reader. Hard cover should be safer in your case. And even with the cover it weighs less than the other two, only 5.3oz (Sony 300 = 7.8oz and kobo = 7.05oz. For Sony and Kobo you would still have to buy a cover which would add even more weight.

You can get the pocketbook for $199 now. If you add the price for a cover for the other two the difference shouldn't be that great anymore. Plus the pocketbook has better firmware.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would go for the Kobo based on the fact that it has a 6" screen instead of a 5" screen. That and the fact that it is cheaper. But you will have to find someplace to get a proper cover. Not a sleeve, but a proper cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would go for the Kobo based on the fact that it has a 6" screen instead of a 5" screen. That and the fact that it is cheaper. But you will have to find someplace to get a proper cover. Not a sleeve, but a proper cover.
I agree. The 6" vs 5" is diagonal, so you actually get about 40% more reading space which should improve the experience a lot. Also, the expandable memory is a plus. But, given the same price, why not consider the nook wifi? I know he doesn't care about dictionary, touchscreen, wifi, mp3 playback; but you don't have to use these extra functions if you don't want to. If it's same price, I don't mind having more functions handy even if I am not using all of them at the moment.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
I agree. The 6" vs 5" is diagonal, so you actually get about 40% more reading space which should improve the experience a lot. Also, the expandable memory is a plus. But, given the same price, why not consider the nook wifi? I know he doesn't care about dictionary, touchscreen, wifi, mp3 playback; but you don't have to use these extra functions if you don't want to. If it's same price, I don't mind having more functions handy even if I am not using all of them at the moment.
The Nook is extremely heavy - for the OP's needs, I wouldn't even consider it.

I am a very happy PRS-300 owner. With that said, I would probably get the Kobo if I was in the OP's shoes. Reasons:

- Light! The most important reason.
- Good screen, from the little I tested it.
- 6 inch screen. The larger size is not a hindrance if you plan to carry it in a backpack vs. a pocket.
- More internal memory, and expandable memory slot.
- Technically cheaper than the SONY, assuming you buy them new and get the Borders Bucks offer.

Probably the only negatives I see with the Kobo are the lack of accessories (which will decrease over time, I'm sure), the "new" factor with bugs and firmware updates (again, that will decrease over time). Also, the formats supported vs the SONY. But, that's what Calibre is for. :-)
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 5" readers were a bad idea. Fitting them in a pocket means there is a much higher risk of the screens being broken. So not having an eink reader fit in your pocket is a good reason to get a 6" reader vs a 5" reader.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 5" readers were a bad idea. Fitting them in a pocket means there is a much higher risk of the screens being broken. So not having an eink reader fit in your pocket is a good reason to get a 6" reader vs a 5" reader.
Male here, I see Everybody talks about 5" fitting in a pocket, but 5" fits much better in a medium bag than 6" (I've tested both of them and I don't want to carry big bags always). Anyway, between PRS-300 and Kobo, I think I would go to Kobo, not because of 6" but because of the SD card, lighter and best support for ePub. PB360 is a good option too taking covers into account. I like PRS-300 but I think it's too much heavy and I hate non justified text
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiwee View Post
First, I'll use the device primarily while on back-country backpacking trips. I don't know if this has been covered here before, but there are those of us in the backpacking community known as "gram weenies." Believe it or not, the Kobo actually appeals to me because it's 3/4 ounce lighter. Every gram counts to a backpacker.
LOL, did a bit of backpacking myself and yeah weight is a big deal. But I considered more of the choice of what items to bring, rather than minimizing the weight of the items I chose. So 3/4 ounces would not have made a difference to me. But I would say, even if it were not lighter, I would go with the Nook simply because of the SD slot and the larger screen.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The PocketBook 360 is a better reader than either of them and at 5.3 ounces is seriously lighter. The hard cover makes for great protection and the device is rugged from the get go. Ive dropped mine from over 4 feet onto a brick hearth with only a slight nick on the edge of the device. (i've pics posted here in the PocketBook forum)

Yes I sell them so Im biased- but the reason I sell them is because they are absolutely wonderful.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
If weight is really important, then I would say get the Kobo. It just offers more value than the Sony. Reading on a 5 inch screen is really not a great experience (in my humble opinion). I always loved the form factor and quality of the Sony PRS-300, but the small screen and lack of features made me choose the Nook instead.

I still think the Nook WiFi offers the best value, but it is heavier than the others and might not be right for you. However, the Kindle is also really light and offers a lot more than the Kobo or Sony. You might want to handle one at Target and see what you think.

With all that said, in the end, price and weight seem to make the Kobo a good choice for you.

Edit: I take it back, after seeing the Pocetbook 360 on Youtube, it actually looks really cool. Sorry for the snap judgment! Pictures don't really do it justice.

Last edited by Noah98; 07-17-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
You don't have to take my word of course that the 5 inch is fine to read on- just read the PocketBook section. The 5 inch displays also have a higher dpi than the 6 inch so they offer crisper text.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, for every person who doesn't like the look of the PB 360 there are a couple dozen that have purchased it. I get 0 returns on the 360.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-11-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
If weight is really important, then I would say get the Kobo. It just offers more value than the Sony. Reading on a 5 inch screen is really not a great experience (in my humble opinion). I always loved the form factor and quality of the Sony PRS-300, but the small screen and lack of features made me choose the Nook instead.

I still think the Nook WiFi offers the best value, but it is heavier than the others and might not be right for you. However, the Kindle is also really light and offers a lot more than the Kobo or Sony. You might want to handle one at Target and see what you think.

With all that said, in the end, price and weight seem to make the Kobo a good choice for you.

BTW, no offense to the other poster, but on a superficial level, the Pocketbook looks like a really ugly design!
Funny, I love the PB360 design. It is the perfect ebook reader, without extraneous buttons/bezel. The covers have pretty scrollwork designs. And the hard cover was the best idea. It protects the reader better than any other cover I have used.

Plus it reads practically any format.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would love to see more readers with a 7 or 8" screen.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Haiwee,

I'm a Kobo fan, but honestly, if I were you, I'd take a look at that Pocketbook 360. I would compromise on the screen size (apparently, you already have a Kindle for most of your ereading) for the duration of a backpacking trip, and that built-in case seems like a major plus. I mean, you're "roughing it" right?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Also consider some of the other 5-inch screens such as the Astak Pocket Pro and the Cybook Opus.... These are both excellent and light readers.Reading on a 5 inch screen is fine. Have read on much smaller screens.... Have the Pocket Pro myself.... It is similar to the Pocketbook 360 and I have used a Cybook Opus for a weekend.... also and excellent machine.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote