Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about editing documents once they are in Calibre

I am thinking of using my Sony and Calibre to manage my cooking recipes. Unlike the iPod Touch, the Sony does not turn off if you leave it alone for a minute, and I think it would be easy to take into the kitchen with me. I was going to make one recipe per 'book' and just tag these small files as 'Recipe' and Calibre will make it a collection for me. I have two questions about this.

1) Let's say I want to add to a file. Most recipes will be by themselves, one recipe per file. But if I have something like 'Favourite Snacks' where it's just a list and I want to add to it. Would I just open the file in an HTML editor from within its Calibre directory, save it and that's it? Or would I have to then go into Calibre, delete the LRF and reconvert it? How about if I used an RTF format, could I just edit the RTF, re-upload it to the Sony and be good? Or would I be best to copy the file elsewhere, delete it from Calibre, edit it and then re-import it into Calibre?

2) I have never used the 'Series' feature before and an wondering how it works. Does each 'series' show up in my main list of collections, or do you only access those from within the collection it's a part of? For example, I would not want 'lunch' and 'dinner' to show up in my collection list along with fiction, non-fiction etc. But if I could open us recipes and then see sub-menus of 'lunch' and 'dinner' there, that would be better. If series entries do show up in the main collection, I would just tag everything as 'recipe' and that would be it

Thanks for any assistance...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) there's an entry in the faq on how to merge multiple html files

2) they show up in the main list of collections. The SONY doesn't support hierarchical collections
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply, Kovid. I am not sure I want to merge multiple files as I would have to keep re-merging them every time I add something. I think it would be easier to have each recipe as a separate entry. What I would like to do though is sometimes edit a recipe once I have made the ebook so I would love an answer on that---I outlined my queries in the first question. I so appreciate your wonderful program, it has made me love my Sony!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can edit the original file. But you have to re-convert after that. No need to delete as the re-conversion will replace the original
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard

Thank you so much! I will let you know how I do
Advert