Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
kleinste
Nameless Being

Book Cover Screensaver

Okay, I'm probably just missing something here, but -

Is there a hack that I can perform that will cause the Kindle to display the cover of whatever book I'm reading when it goes into screensaver mode?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinste View Post
Okay, I'm probably just missing something here, but -

Is there a hack that I can perform that will cause the Kindle to display the cover of whatever book I'm reading when it goes into screensaver mode?
That would be brilliant. Amazon should offer that option.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
That would be brilliant. Amazon should offer that option.
I second the motion.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
kleinste
Nameless Being

Aww, I guess that's a no. :P
It's one of the major reasons I want to collect a whole little family of readers! Some of the book covers are just so gorgeous.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Supposedly one of Sony readers does this. Would love to have that option on the kindle. It seems like such an obvious feature too.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I think Amazon should consider a feature like this for the next refresh. Would be pretty cool. Would be even cooler on color e-ink. .
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I think Amazon should consider a feature like this for the next refresh.
Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen. We've been asking for this since the Kindle 1. Amazon are either not interested or have a good reason not to deliver (although it's hard to see what that reason might be).

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If Amazon were to offer the feature, the next mountain to climb would be getting the publishers on board about bothering to include covers. I'm looking at you, Random House.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
The Sony PRS-T1 does that, and it's quite nice.

There is a plugin for Calibre that takes your selected books and makes Kindle screensaver images for them. While it's not the current book's cover, I keep mine updated to the 10 or 20 "books I'm reading now." Needs the screensaver hack to make it do anything on the Kindle side, of course.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
This was one of the few things I liked about the KOBO reader, it's lock screen was the cover of the current book. Would love to see Amazon allow this (of course it wouldn't work on the KSO versions).
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Good Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
There is a plugin for Calibre that takes your selected books and makes Kindle screensaver images for them. While it's not the current book's cover, I keep mine updated to the 10 or 20 "books I'm reading now." Needs the screensaver hack to make it do anything on the Kindle side, of course.
Thanks! I didn't know about that plugin. Can't wait to give it a try.

EDIT: Ahh...not for Kindle Touch. I'll just create my own group of covers, convert and use them from time to time.

Last edited by Bookatarian; 05-25-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote