Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #61
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I didn't say that. I said that there is not will be Windows 8 Metro only. There are tablets with x86, so tablet does not mean ARM.
Sorry, but you said:
Quote:
There will be only one version of Windows 8
No?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #62
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Sorry, but you said:

No?
No, I didn't. You are cutting off my statement. I said:

Quote:
There will be only one version of Windows 8: ... desktop and metro at the same time.
I did not even mention the words ARM and x86. Windows 8 is only one system: there are not such things as Windows Desktop and Windows tablet. There is only Windows 8.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No, I didn't. You are cutting off my statement. I said:

I did not even mention the words ARM and x86. Windows 8 is only one system: there are not such things as Windows Desktop and Windows tablet. There is only Windows 8.

Seems clear to me that there are two versions -- one for ARM and one for Win86. So saying Tablet and Desktop are the same doesn't make sense without specifying the processor. (or which version you are talking about - ARM or x86)

http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/16/windows-8-arm-x86/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #64
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Seems clear to me that there are two versions -- one for ARM and one for Win86. So saying Tablet and Desktop are the same doesn't make sense without specifying the processor. (or which version you are talking about - ARM or x86)

http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/16/windows-8-arm-x86/
It's obvious that the same and exact Windows version can't run in both ARM and x86. The point of my original statement was clarifying that there is not such thing as Windows 8 tablet. I didn't have to specify the processor, since I was only talking about the OS itself, pointing out that Windows 8, either for tablet or Desktop PC, is the same. Windows 8 running in a tablet will have the Desktop option; Windows 8 running in a Desktop PC will have the option of Metro interface.

If the machine has an ARM or x86 processor is another discussion.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #65
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
It's obvious that the same and exact Windows version can't run in both ARM and x86. The point of my original statement was clarifying that there is not such thing as Windows 8 tablet. I didn't have to specify the processor, since I was only talking about the OS itself, pointing out that Windows 8, either for tablet or Desktop PC, is the same. Windows 8 running in a tablet will have the Desktop option; Windows 8 running in a Desktop PC will have the option of Metro interface.

If the machine has an ARM or x86 processor is another discussion.
Well, my point is that is the issue that is at the crux of you two's arguing so it's not clearly obvious, particularly since you didn't state it in your initial posting which was in response to a mention of ARM: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=15

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2011 at 04:34 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #66
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I have to admit that my prejudice against Apple and Microsoft is just about equal. They are both predatory companies whose primary business plan is to put artificial limitations on their devices to control and limit consumers' choices while intimidating and suing anyone who dares to challenge their generally derivative products.

Go Linux.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 09-17-2011 at 06:02 PM.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #67
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
I have to admit that my prejudice against Apple and Microsoft is just about equal. They are both evil companies.

Go Linux.
And google?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #68
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted, duplicate post. Doh!

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 09-17-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #69
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner

Ops. Duplicate post.

Google I don't necessarily trust although I do use their services often and have found them to be quite useful. But there are lots of viable alternatives if one hates Google.

Google has also not tried to systematically shut down every other search engine to in effect force you to use their services...MS has done so with its bogus SCO lawsuits and ongoing litigation.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #70
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
Google I don't necessarily trust although I do use their services often and have found them to be quite useful. But there are lots of viable alternatives if one hates Google.
But as the maker of an OS, is it the same/better/worse? It might me a matter of time, and 10 years from now it will considered as evil as MS and Apple.

The reason why I prefer MS to Apple is because at least I get more hardware options. Google is more open than MS, but again, given enough time...

What Linux version do you use?
Old 09-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #71
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
And to repeat a meme...flash is windows 95. Past technology, still in use, that no one is discussing anymore. It's replacement is here, and it's days are numbered.
Yes, but the replacement should come first. If the sites that host flash games would switch to html5, I wouldn't mind if there is no flash support. But to be told that it's normal not to support flash because some people don't use those sites is ridiculous.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #72
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
But as the maker of an OS, is it the same/better/worse? It might me a matter of time, and 10 years from now it will considered as evil as MS and Apple.

The reason why I prefer MS to Apple is because at least I get more hardware options. Google is more open than MS, but again, given enough time...

What Linux version do you use?
I agree...Google could become a major concern in the future. (Some say it already has become one.) But so far, I think Google has generally done a good job in terms of being an advocate in favor of free speech and the free exchange of ideas, of not trying to eliminate its competition through litigation and threats to anyone who dare allow a competitor to get any traction, but just by providing a product that consumers prefer.

The whole social networking thing could backfire on them, though (real names on Google+ controversy, etc.) -- they are, after all, a company that makes its money by figuring out what you like and serving you advertising that might appeal to you.

As for Linux, I'm a proud user of Puppy Linux (running as a live CD and rebooting fresh every time I log on, installing other Pets as I need them...zero viruses, zero system maintenance in three years because it is a fresh boot every time I start the computer. And booting fresh off the CD is still faster than booting XP on my PC. I still have XP for the very few times I really need Windows, although I've used it maybe 3-4 times in the past five years).

I love the simplicity and ease of use of Puppy. It is a great, complete OS, very powerful, and just ~100 Megs. Great ebook reader (FBreader) as long as DRM-free, fairly modern version of Firefox, lots of additional software available as pets.

The only problem is that my ebook choices are limited to DRM-free sites like Smashwords, Manybooks, Gutenburg, Feedbooks freebies, etc. I really hate that you can only download Amazon books from withing the Amazon app (within Windows), even if they are DRM free.

I really respect Smashwords in particular and find it much more appealing than the walled gardens of Amazon, Apple, et al. Smashwords trusts readers to do the right thing by selling DRM free, multiple formats, and available worldwide. And yet they offer a great royalty arrangement to make it attractive to authors...I wish more authors would get onboard with Smashwords and promote awareness of the site to readers.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 09-17-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #73
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
OTOH -- there few really exceptional games written in Flash for the PC that haven't been ported to Android, IOS and other platforms natively. How big a portion of the PC game market really are PC flash games? I suspect it's not a significant number.
What do you consider to be a significant number? I usually play games on this site: http://jayisgames.com/tag/flash
Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #74
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner

Quote:
I used to use this!

Do you buy new hardware to use with it?
Oh, goodness, no! A nearly 10 year old HP desktop PC. Old, slow and creaky on Windows...jumping, snappy, zippy fast on Puppy.

And oh yeah, to get back on topic, Flash built in. (and you can upgrade to Flash 10 easily enough so you can read comics on Comixology, etc.)

With Puppy, it's amazing the performance you can get out of 10 year old "outdated" hardware with the right OS.

I have a new but cheaper Windows 7 laptop for when I'm writing away from home...that again is almost always running Puppy off the USB stick.

With Google, I believe I avoid a certain amount of scrutiny from them because I rarely log in to Google...and since I do a fresh boot from CD every time, there are no "everlasting cookies" on my PC to phone home. I'm sure they can track all of us based on cookies from associated sites, IP addresses, hardware/OS profile, etc.

I don't trust Google...but I trust them a lot more than Facebook.

Last edited by BillSmithBooks; 09-17-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #75
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
In comparison to games as a whole on that platform. I'm addicted to one flash game now, and the rest of the time I'm playing games that I've gotten for free from the iOS store.
I usually play tower defense flash games. By the time I'm done with all the levels, there's a new game on the list. So I see that flash games are still being made.