Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
If you are looking for cheap Micro-USB cables and are willing to wait for them, the best place to order from is Monoprice. Happy customer of theirs for Wii, USB and network cables.

Last edited by IamARobot; 07-17-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Edited for error in URL
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The link should be http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10303#1030307
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It feels like mini USB is gradually being replaced by micro USB. This is what it is; and if you have other devices coming into your life over time, probably a good thing. I now can interchange my Kindle, Kobo Touch and two family Blackberry cables (and chargers). And, the reality is, if "your rabbit eats your cable", you'll find micro USB replacement cables very easy to find in a pinch -- including on holiday as this is a world standard.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #19
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I though I had read (on the box or instructions) that Kobo tactile came with a wall socket plug. However, I only have the regular usb wire to charge the device.
Mind you, that is really all I need. Every once in a while, I just plug it to the computer and let it go.
It's happened once that my Kobo was out of juice - while I was at work on lunch - and I don't carry the wire. What was strange is that the battery was indicating (I think) that half of the energy was still there.
So now, when I see it getting halfway, I just "feed" it.
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by know-one View Post
I though I had read (on the box or instructions) that Kobo tactile came with a wall socket plug. However, I only have the regular usb wire to charge the device.
Nope. None of the Kobo's have ever come with a wall plug. You can use most micro usb cords (from your cell etc) just make sure it puts out >800 mA. I've always used different phone/blackberry cords because it's just easier than plugging it into the computer.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #21
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Nope. None of the Kobo's have ever come with a wall plug. You can use most micro usb cords (from your cell etc) just make sure it puts out >800 mA. I've always used different phone/blackberry cords because it's just easier than plugging it into the computer.
Micro-USB cords don't put out any amps on their own - you are probably referring to a USB charger with a micro-USB cord.

Standard USB ports put out 500 ma max, so I'm sure the Kobo charges just fine on 500 ma. Many chargers put out more, but the Kobo may or may not charge faster with more current if it was designed to charge at 500 ma.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The Kobo doesn't need 800mA to charge. Standard USB ports under USB2.0 are limited to 500mA.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #23
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

It doesn't need 800mA to charge, but being able to supply 800mA+ will allow it to charge significantly faster.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #24
bluesgirl1976
bluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterbluesgirl1976 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kobo touch/Kobo wi-fi
Hey just wondering......can I use the wall plug "block" that connects to the USB side of my iphone cord to plug my Kobo touch USB into the wall? I am not techie at all and it would seem like it would work but don't want to damage it??? Any suggestions as to whether I could give this a wing ding?
bluesgirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Many of us do that for charging!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesgirl1976 View Post
Hey just wondering......can I use the wall plug "block" that connects to the USB side of my iphone cord to plug my Kobo touch USB into the wall? I am not techie at all and it would seem like it would work but don't want to damage it??? Any suggestions as to whether I could give this a wing ding?
The iphone wall charger will work no problem. The touch only needs 500 ma to charge. The touch adapter supplies more then enough to use. your device will only draw what it needs no more. But you do need min 500 ma. Having a 1000 ma adapter for example will not hurt your device as it only draws what it needs.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually charging lithium-ion batteries is a tricky business that is never left to a "dumb" charging circuit. It's almost always controlled by a smart IC (e.g., like http://www.intersil.com/isl6291/) that uses thermal management and current limiting to control the charge rate.

There are two ways to go:

a) You limit the current draw to 500 ma so that it will charge from any standard USB port or USB charger without overloading it.

b) You supply your own charger with > 500 ma capacity that is intended to be used with the device.

Most devices that don't have huge batteries that would take a long time to charge at 500 ma stick strictly to a).
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #28
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsele View Post
That is true, an electronic device will only draw what it needs. So you have to have at least its min requirements. I notice others making claims for faster charging. That is not so. The touch will take the same amount of time to charge regardless if it is attached to the computer or to a wall charger.
So you're saying that the Kobo Touch (rated at 800mA) will take the same amount of time to charge from a 500mA USB port as it will from a 1A AC adaptor?

You appear to be contradicting yourself.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #29
FJames
Addict

My Kobo Touch takes 2 hours to charge 90% and 3 hours to charge 100% from a 1-amp charger, based on 3 charges so far. According to the manual it should take about 2 hours to charge from a USB port. Sounds like it takes the same amount of time to me. (I keep in Sleep state while it's charging, so I can see the battery icon)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #30
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedJ View Post
So you're saying that the Kobo Touch (rated at 800mA) will take the same amount of time to charge from a 500mA USB port as it will from a 1A AC adaptor?
The 1A on the AC adapter is what it can give if that is what the connected device "asks for". The upper limit. Even if the device is rated 800 mA it doesn't mean it requires 800 mA through the whole process. It means it might require (or maybe not even require, but rather wish for) 800 mA at some point during the process.
WHen charging batteries of all kinds you typically have a larger current in the beginning and as the battery starts to get charged the current goes down.
The AC adapter probably makes that first stage of the charging faster than the USB port, but the whole maybe not that much of a difference over all.

(Háving said this, I absolutely prefer using AC adapters. Much more reliable than my laptop.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote